1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Watford reserves

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Bolton's Boots, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Just reading on the Wobby site about last night's game at Stevenage - was a bit worried when reading about Whichelow and Assombalonga being stretchered off, but apparently nothing serious.

What struck me though, was the team that lined up for the 'Orns -

Bond; Thompson, Bennett, Aldred (Hoban HT), Tumwa; Horner, Isaac, Mingoia, Murray; Whichelow (Gardner 33), Assombalonga (Hamilton Forbes 49).

I may be wrong, but as far as I can see, only one of those is not 'home-grown' - Tom Aldred. It's quite some time since I've read a reserves match report, let alone attend a reserves match (John Barnes first game for the club!!) - but if this line up is the norm, then the future certainly appears to be yellow.

Brings a tear to the eye, makes you proud etc etc etc etc.

2. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

My emotional head agrees with you BB.

I then started to think about various other factors. First, what is the cost of developing players. Twenty years ago, at least, I remember seeing the cost of a player that made the, then, first division from schoolboy ranks. It was not a lot different from the cost of buying a player. This leads into the second factor. We may be proud of the Watford Academy, but it is only as good as the players it produces. How many of the team that played for the reserves will make good Championship players?

It may be more efficient to allow other clubs develop players and then bring them in when they are in their late teens. That was the case with Scott Loach or John Barnes.

I admit I do prefer to develop our own players

3. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

I suppose if you went out and bought a player and he didnt perform to expectations(ellinglump)! Then you have to spend more and try again!
    Once you have a good academy set up if player A is disappointing you can go back and try Player B!
    These days cost wise millions for a proven player or millions to have an academy! I have no idea which is the cheaper option!
    However ,I`m agreeing with the above posters ,that the academy must be the better option, also I really enjoy seeing homegrown new faces trying to establish themselves in the first team!

4. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd also like to think that if they're home grown, they'll be more loyal...and some of those listed are good players who have already made the senior team..

i agree..the future's yellow :)

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I agree H - and if they decide to jump ship to a bigger club then we would get some guaranteed compensation for them anyway

6. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Thats the thing eh! the academy can be a great revenue stream! , and surely the quality of final product is only going to get better! and thus more saleable!

7. Roowfc

Roowfc Member

A good championship player costs the better part of a million quid these days our academy is way more effective.

A marriapa
    L doyley
    L hodson
    R jenkins
    M sordel

Plus d bennet
    M Whichelow
    A thompson
    M bryan
    P mingoia

Then you have the next class, who i believe are the first group to go all the way through the new academy structure- many of whom have been courted by prem clubs allreaddy.

Plus without thinking hard it has attracted £14m poundsy in transfer fees over the last 6 years.

The academy is the lifeblood of the club- take the academy products out and look what your left with!