1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Volkswagen close to buying Red Bull!!!!

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

upto $18bn if all cars are dodgy, but diesels only make up 1/4 of their sales, and it's not in every diesel, so it'll be less than 1/4 of that figure.
    A couple more days of scare mongering and it'll be VW share buying time.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea.

3. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

From BBC: The EPA said that the fine for each vehicle that did not comply with federal clean air rules would be up to $37,500 (£24,000). With 482,000 cars sold since 2008 involved in the allegations, it means the fines could reach $18bn.
    The $18bn is 482,000 x $37,500. So it looks like they sold 482,000 diesels that are effected!!!

Mind you if this was F1 I am sure the VW laywers would be examining the rules and 'interpreting' them. All depends on how the EPA laws are written. If they say they must pas xyz test and the VW do then they should be OK. But if they say the emissions while driving should be less than x. VW will be in big trouble. Mind you this is law not rules, should be interesting.

It does question the UK cars emission as stated by manufacturers. Maybe it also explains how BMW get such impressive fuel consumption figures while you can read lots of people saying their fuel consumption is way lower. OK so very few people drive as economically as they could but BMW figures seem the furthers away from peoples experiences of all manufacturers.

4. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

It's a foreign company being tried in a US court, they'll be dragged over the coals for sure, just ask Samsung. It's pretty serious what they've done though, they've essentially defrauded everyone who's bought one of their cars in the last seven years.

DHCanary and ched999uk like this.
  5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

US seem to like $18bn, it's the same figure that BP have to shell out for shoddy US working practices.

6. ched999uk

Now being reported that 11million vehicles may be effected!!!! South Korea are testing 5000 VW diesels. If VW diesels found to 'cheat' then all German manufacturers cars will be tested. France are saying an EU investigation is needed (might help French Car manufacturers).
    Sounds like the worlds car producers are using this as a great opportunity to damage VW reputation.

Reading between the lines, in the US, it seems like they have a fuel additive that is used to reduce emissions. This additive is not that cheap. So it sounds like VW sense the emissions test and use that additive. Normally they don't use the additive, thus saving customers buying it and also I think the additive increases fuel consumption.

7. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

Winterkorn is expected to be forced out at the VW emergency board meeting, so I suppose it's a question of whether the rest of VW might want to go into F1 to rebuild their reputation or if they're going to need to hold off on risky investments until their share price rises again.

I have a feeling it's going to be the latter though.

8. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Got it in one.

My 3 series is supposed to average 65mpg according to figures. To be fair, I get pretty close to that and on the motorway at 70mph actually get closer to 70mpg.

Problem with the figures, is that town driving has a massive impact and as most people drive around town they will never get close to the claimed average figures. Around town I get around 40mpg, BMW claim it should be 50mpg according to the 'urban' test.

I'm not sure the issues found affect mpg though, it's just the emissions the cars chuck out, not all emissions directly relate to mpg.

ched999uk likes this.
  9. ched999uk

That is good real world economy. I have read owners complaining that they cant get anywhere near quoted spec. If you can then it does suggest that it's their driving skills not the car, Thanks. What model do you have?

The VW are reporting that the fuel economy is better without the emission systems engaged. As customers don't have to use the additives and consumables, so running the car is cheaper. But if it is proved they fiddled the software to reduce emissions only while under test they are in big trouble. Lets face the US are good at protecting their own industry unlike the UK who have killed not only motor industry but engineering as a whole. I expect them to get massive fines and some people going to jail.

10. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

2015 320ED Touring. Had a 320d M Sport as a courtesy car for a few days a while ago, gave it a bit of a kicking and it only returned 30mpg. All down to how you drive!

The figures quoted by manufacturers should take into account 'real world' driving. Maybe they should get the figures and automatically reduce them by 10/15%, at least people may get close to this so not feel so hard done by. It does vary by manufacturer though as to how much the test figures vary to what people see on the roads.

ched999uk likes this.

11. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

cosicave likes this.
  12. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I think this is going to kill the rbr deal before it even got going. Maybe they could tempt somebody else.

13. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

I didn't think so when it first broke, but now Winterkorn's resigned the deal has to be in serious doubt.

The figures are about showing what the car is capable of. Not many people could achieve the stated 0-60mph time either.

cosicave likes this.
  14. TomTom94

I can see VW wanting to be involved in F1 as a way of rebuilding their lost reputation... but I can't see the board being willing to sanction the three years of R&D needed to create one of the hybrid engines. So if VW were to join F1 now it would be at least delayed until 2019 you'd have to think.

...Which puts an entirely new spin on the Red Bull/Ferrari negotiations and the rumours that Honda are considering quitting as early as next year.

15. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix New Member

My gut feeling is that any deal for VW to buy out Red Bull will be dead in the water, at least until all of the fallout from emissions-gate is sorted out. If Honda do pull out at the end of the season or next year, will Mclaren go back to using merc engines?

16. ched999uk

I have a suspicion the VW 2018 deal is already done!!!
    As for Honda pulling out and Mclaren going back to Merc I doubt it. Merc are additionally going to supply Manor next year so I doubt they or the FIA would like more of the grid to use Merc engines.
    All very interesting.

17. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Big fine is enough to make them think twice about entering F1, BUT the hybrid F1 cars might be a perfect place to re-invent their reputation.

That will be 2 years away minimum to let the furore die down.

18. TomTom94

If Honda pull out then the FIA would strong-arm Renault into supplying multiple teams again - it is simply unsustainable for the sport to have only two engine suppliers across nine teams, especially if they both have a vested interest. Moreover I'm pretty sure that someone (isn't that Bernie's job?) will be in talks with manufacturers like Peugeot and BMW to try and tempt them back into F1, they might need them at this rate.

19. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

I keep thinking BMW could be an interesting team in this format. I'd like to see that.

20. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix New Member

Would Renault ever agree to supplying multiple teams? If forced to they might just walk away