1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Villa game - midfield

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by stanleyparkerbowles, Apr 5, 2017.

1. stanleyparkerbowles

stanleyparkerbowles Well-Known Member

Yes we were slow out the block and let in an early goal
    Yes we barely created any chances on target.
    Yes Villa hit the post and had several good chances

But
    For the record Villa were pinned in their penalty area for just about all the second half.
    For those who were not there last night our central midfield was as good as its been for years
    We completely bossed the middle of the park after about 20 minutes.
    Luongo and Freeman were both excellent in tackle, tenacity, close control under pressure, keeping the ball and general play.

Goss did OK but he's new to this level and I still currently prefer Manning (Hall & Cousins don't forget)
    ( a choice of 4 in holding midfield

2 full backs happy on the ball and keen to get forward and we'd be well away.
    Furlong needs time and I like him but he's not the finished article yet
    I like Bidwell but...

Basically Luongo and Freeman clearly love being in midfield together and we should build a team around them
    Get Robinson fit and also try Petrasso (who did this well last 15 mins) , Furlong, N'Gbakoto , Wszolek as right wing-backs and Robinson and Lua Lua as left wing-backs until one of them gets it right!

They were both an absolute joy to watch and carried the team with them

We were excellent 2nd half without being good enough to get past a penalty box with 10 Villa players in it

NEXT SEASON - ITS TIME FOR 2 ARSENAL/CHELSEA/SPURS 19 YEAR OLD WINGBACKS ON LOAN AGAIN PLEASE

2. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Agree with you regarding Freeman and Luongo. Both were excellent last night.

The problem I had with the starting 11 was Sylla. I know he is a squad player and deserves a run out but he didn't achieve very much. Most of the time I have seen him play well is when he is used as an impact sub. He is great at coming on late on a game against tired defenders but whenever he starts, he doesn't do a lot. Smith from the start is by far the better option. He caused their central defenders no end of problems when he came on and nearly scored. Rant over.

3. stanleyparkerbowles

stanleyparkerbowles Well-Known Member

Agree though I thought the pitch looked a bit big for smiths mobility!

finglasqpr likes this.