1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

'Video Judge' in Dutch football

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Flanman, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Flanman

Flanman Well-Known Member

This might seem strange to some of you as I have lived in the Netherlands for 15 years but hardly ever get to see a game here be it live or even on telly especially in the past 5 years, due to kids mainly.

Anyway just seen the last five minutes of a cup game between AZ vs SC Cambuur where AZ scored in the 93rd minute only to be ruled out by the 'Video judge' according to the commentator which was the second time in the match, by the way it was a foul on the goalkeeper so it was a good call. It was a bit like what Rugby has except seemed even quicker as the referee was clearly told to cancel the goal before he went through the
    motions drawing an invisible screen as he hadn't seen the foul.

Do any of you know this system was used over here or in any other European country?
    If you do know, how long has it been going? I'm guessing it's new this season as the commentator didn't have a translation in Dutch as he referred to the video judge.

2. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

It is such an obvious solution to televised games. I really do not know why the Premiership has resisted for so long.

If there are cameras present, every one knows the correct decision after about 5 seconds, apart from the poor ref. Other sports have introduced it years ago.

I am sure it will be introduced in football, but it is only a question of when.

Jonqpr likes this.
  3. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

If it is quick, and doesn't ruin the flow of the game, which it didn't, by the sounds of it, in the match you were watching Flanman, then the sooner we get it in England the better. It'd stop wrong decisions, and also probably make players seriously consider their behaviour on the pitch, especially when they think no one is looking.

4. Flanman

Just seen on the beeb it is to be introduced next year in the FA Cup, looks like they have been watching.

QPRski likes this.
  5. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

It is really a no brainer of a decision. But well done FA for taking it.

I am sure that it will be proved to be a success and it will be rolled out for wider usage in the relatively bear future.

p.s. I did not know that this forum is so influential! :)

6. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I don't think it''s a no brainer at all. Will need many camera angles to get the right decision, and speed in making the decisions to not make the game as slow as American football with commercials. So often cameras don't get the decision right, due to their angle on it.

7. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Oslo, true. But at the most fundamental level, they should use the "technology" which is available.

If it helps to clarify the decision, then great, as it is an added value. If not. then there is no damage done as we can give the benefit of the doubt.

But, if it helps to eliminate ghost goals, obvious errors, simulations, of the ball incidents, then it is only for the good of the game.

I agree on the delay aspect and believe a solution may be as in tennis with a limited number of "challenges"; e.g .up to two or three per team per half.

Either way, the TV coverage is there to be used. If there could be a technical TV ref communicating to the main red, then there would already be immediate added value.

8. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I think goal and side line technology is a must have. Offside too. But I'm very doubtful about the rest.

9. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Oslo, This is a great topic to discuss over a beer or something stronger..

I would love football to be a simple game where you just need a ball and shirts for goal posts.

But with the money involved and gamesmanship border lining on blatant cheating, it needs to use the available technology.

I think it will follow the other sports such as rugby, cricket, tennis, volley ball etc.

Let's revert to the topic in say 5 years. I would be surprised if there as no major changes such as a video red, but of course I could be very wrong.

Have a great weekend and enjoy he win! :) COYR's!!!!

10. Flanman

As mentioned I only caught the last five minutes of this game but had you seen this and the time it took you would zero doubt. There was also a couple of bad tackles near the end but there was no mention of replays, i am going to ask my mate who will know how this technology will be used but my guess it's only for goals.

11. Flanman

Here are the highlights didn't realise that the foul on the goalkeeper was by another player just before the goal was scored, anyway what do you think. Not sure if this has been edited but seem to remember the decision happening in the same amount of time elapsing.