1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Notts County

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Feb 26, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's a bleddy busy old time ain't it. First of a set of three home games in 8 days coming up. We are not in the greatest form we have been in all season but we haven't been losing left right and centre either. Notts County form wise have not been anything to write home about either but are currently just above the drop zone having improved a tad of late. (not anything to do with the misserable git leaving them is it?)

I put this one on a par with the Orient game for what could possibly go wrong. Once more we have a game we should win and once again it's one we might struggle in. It seems all of the teams in the top 3 are having a mini wobble which is letting Pompey back into the pack for the auto places. We could do with a good run and 3 at home could be just what the doctor ordered. I'm going to try to be positive this time and say victory for the greens and a good week.

2. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Agree sensible but the games left are ticking away and we still have a healthy gap over 4th. Will be fairly content with 5 points from the next 3 home games and anything more is obviously a bonus. Portsmouth have certainly improved in the last few weeks and my guess is that the eventual top three will come from the current top 4.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think 5 points being good enough is dependant on what the other contenders do lyndhurst. We should be looking at 6 minimum and as one is against a top rival a win in that one would be bonus good. If we play to potential then why not all 9.

4. lyndhurstgreen

Absolutely, but in recent seasons I have learnt to lower my short term horizons. Less disappointment that way!

5. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

9 out of 9 it must be and we will be on the way... UP

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Oh me god we're doomed Captain Mainwaring we're doomed.......:eek:

I've just read a statistic on pasoti which I find incredible and never for one minute realised. Apparently we have not won a Tuesday night game at Home Park since September 2015. We have 2 in the next 8 days...............we are well and truely fecked it seems.:emoticon-0121-angry

7. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Catastrophic defending puts us 0-1 down at half time but seemingly not much from a lot of possession.

8. notDistantGreen

Now 3:5:2 for 2ND half.

Bradley, Sokolik, Songo'o

Threlkeld, Carey, Kennedy, Sarevic, Sawyer

Taylor, Spencer.

Kennedy playing in the hole.

9. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Absolutely shocked tonight. .....what a shower!

10. notDistantGreen

Very poor I'd imagine....

11. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So disappointing.....but other teams are not doing much better......accept Doncaster, who seem to be the only side that can claim a promotion spot.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been reading around.....and things seem pretty dire.....no good words for McCormick and the goal.....comments that maybe Carey should be dropped....but who else can run the show from mid-field.......why cannot Adams and the coaching staff get this lot playing.....on paper they are good enough to get out of this league......a win Saturday will cover a multitude of sins......another defeat will sound serious alarm bells.

I shall look out my tin helmet..... and get behind the settee and wait for sensible and Lindy to post their views on this poor result.....why are they so inept since beating Exeter.....what needs to change....I hope Adams can solve that problem.....starting Saturday.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

KIn hell!! I have nothing much to say to be honest. We could still be out there and wouldn't score. Woeful to say the least. The goal was a joke and not totally Luke's fault. The rest of them just stood there and watched the Notts player pick up the ball and slot it into the net he couldn't miss. Worse thing is they nearly did the same thing again later. One of their players should have seen Red not yellow for very dangerous play on Luke even though I don't think there was any intent in his extremely high boot. Slew got booked for diving in what looked an absolute nailed on penalty from where I was sitting. Cannot understand what the Ref thought he saw. Much time wasting and little action from the Ref over that. We never looked like winning. Nobody was MOM tonight. Carey was poor and even Bradley was only average. Actually Carey has been quite poor for a while now. The Tuesday night hoodoo struck yet again. it seems.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Somehow we've manage to blunt the promise showed by our January window signings.....they all looked great at the time and we thought Derek Adams had done really well and strengthened the team.
    Kennedy, Taylor, Sarcevic all started well and all scored goals.....but how have we managed to end up with two home defeats against basement sides.....how have we looked a team that seemed to be aimlessly running around without any real goal scoring threat and looking so vulnerable in defence.

Is it possible that we're somehow coaching players potential into a lack lustre situation where they don't seem to know or understand what the coaching staff require of them anymore.

Do we need new ideas to bring the best out of this above average on paper Div2 side......are the coaching staff up to the job anymore.....maybe Adams needs to bring in fresh blood in that department......I cannot believe that good players can be so headless against teams that try to contain us at Home Park......we do not seem able to cope with the poorer teams in this league especially at home....big game Saturday against Carlisle.

15. notDistantGreen

I do wonder how the players handle 3 or 4 changes in formation in one game. England internationals don't seem to be able to do it: we're in League 2.

Lots of calls on Twitter last night to go back to what worked i e Slew and Jervis. Discuss.

Someone also posted "The man who can save Argyle" - over a picture of Dorel.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just seen the goal....total amateurs all those involved....I would laugh if I could stop crying.....Christmas came early by nearly ten months for County.

17. notDistantGreen

Don't see the Jervis penalty/dive incident of course....

Adams isn't happy with performance and unusually has said so. Be interesting to see the starting 11 for Saturday.

18. lyndhurstgreen

Have seen the penalty incident quite a few times and on balance I don't it was one, but neither do I think it was a booking- the defender may just have got a touch on the ball before slew went over his leg....
    We revert back to the normal colour of ball on Saturday, perhaps that will improve our fortunes.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

From my sitting position it looked a nailed on penalty. I haven't seen it again but I do not think Slew threw himself to the ground and he looked like it was a clear trip. Now maybe the defender did get a touch on the ball first but not a dive for me.

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the January signings. There should be nothing much wrong with this entire squad. The trouble is that at Home currently the whole team don't turn up for some reason. A bit of a theory from me. There are a number of people who sit around me who, if Argyle haven't scored in the first 10 minutes start shouting abuse at the players. They moan and groan for England everytime they don't punt it up the middle and try passing. If they go backwards to keep the ball that's another moan. If they try a pass and it fails that's a moan. If they take the advice and punt it to nobody in particular that's a moan. They are like this game after game. One bloke who sits just behind is a master of moaning and I swear he must have a degree in it. "There's nobody in the box" is one of his favourites. Last night he said this at least a dozen times and most of them had 2 or more Argyle players in there. He clearly isn't even watching and just goes for the moaning. If you were a player and you heard all that chuntering instead of backing from the surrounds how would you feel. I actually think some of the players are almost scared to try anything incase they make a mistake. The form away is better because they don't get that all the time. As said just a theory.

20. notDistantGreen

That ties up with what the Notes County manager said, which was that every team coming to Home Park will try to quiet the crowd at the start. He felt the fans put pressure on Argyle on Tuesday and that inhibited them.