1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Grimsby

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, May 2, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thought I'd put this one up early this week as it's potentially the most important game of the season. Oh be still my wobbly knees and quivering anal nerve. (can I say that on a thread?) I have to ask the obvious question which is what could possibly go wrong this time?

From a personal point of view I'm not that bothered what the outcome is. I supose I do want Argyle to take the title if pushed for an opinion because it would round off the season nicely. Grimsby have nothing left to play for except to poop on our party. That maybe incentive enough. Everyone wants to beat the would be champions and spoil a party. With Portsmouth and Doncaster having, on paper, much easier games than we potentially have they may fancy it more than they might have if it was a mid-table end of season nothing game. Which team is going to turn up on both sides. Fact is we must win this game because we cannot rely on the other two losing their's.

At the beginning of this season the majority of us were just praying that we might get into a position where promotion was possible. We would have been fairly happy with that at the start. As the season has gone on we have gone from being ellated to despair to just plain don't bleddy know what to expect anymore. Now with the title in touching distance it might seem a let down if it does'nt happen. I can't get disappointed either way. Form for this one goes out of the window. Same applies for the other two.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can only remember one occasion when I watched Grimsby.....must of been in the 1970's.....whilst on holiday down the west country.....it would of been August....GoS shows two times when that could of happened during that period....a win if my memory serves me right.

Other than that Grimsby has only featured during my latter working life.....we had analytical equipment of ours at a Petro-Chemical company up there which we regularly serviced for them......our servicing engineer used to dread going up there.....from NW Kent it was a 210 mile endless journey that took for ages....so it always ended up being a two day job.....the engineer reckoned that Grimsby was the pits....a place to send your worst enemy to suffer and die in.

Lets hope Argyle end up with better memories of the area.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Good job they aren't going there to sight see then Plym. I suspect your engineer was a wee bit biased because he didn't want to go in the first place. No doubt there are quite a few people who think Plymouth isn't exactly the euthopia we think it is either. Think we should concentrate on the football.

Suspect the team selection is going to be the strongest he can muster for this game. Adams probably wants this more than anyone else.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

1,900 away fan ticket allocation has been sold out and Grimsby have closed their booking system to new accounts following what looks like Argyle fans buying tickets in the home areas.

Grimsby's last 3 home attendances were: 4,061 (Yeovil), 5,166 (Cambridge), 6,821 (Doncaster), 4,263 (Crawley) and 4,668 (Wycombe). Doncaster is a local derby.

Should be interesting...

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Blimey they've even sold out the Tribute Lounge. Do I have to book a seat in a pub for Saturday? Apparently they have closed all access to waterfronts and bridges in Portsmouth for the day and all sharp instruments have to be handed in to the Police by Friday to stop mass suicides when the results come in for them...<yikes>

6. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Oh sensible.............Miaow !!

please log in to view this image

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm just concerned Wooperts. I know how the disappointment last season hurt.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Apparently I'm off to the Tribute Lounge at Home Park tomorrow for a pasty pint and streamed game. Whooowhooooo!!!! I might let you know later which is or was the best part of it.

9. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I'm off to Fratton Park tomorrow, our prospective Billionaire owner will be there :1980_boogie_down:

Seriously though sensible, enjoy the game, and may the best team win (but not Donnies !) <cheers>

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I will seriously try to Wooperts...<ok>

I've said it several times already but I genuinely mean that whoever wins it in the end will deserve it. I do think you are up against it a bit being third in line though because I can't seen Doncaster losing unless they truely have lost their touch big time. Having said that it's probably the one with the least chance that will. We will know by 7.30pm tomorrow.

Wooperts_duck likes this.

11. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Already here in cleethorpe (well 20 mins away)hope the travelling support will have a less arduous journey than our 7.5 hour epic!

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Think of the travelling expenses though......£££££££££......:emoticon-0168-drink<bubbly>.....:D

13. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

ha ha , I wish!

14. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Is Luis Rooney still available to play for Hartlepool today. ...if so hope he has the game of his lifetime!

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

17 minutes of play and we have already had three different leaders.....it's Portsmouth at the moment.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0 down at H/T....to a first minute goal......comments from those at match suggest that Miller and Slew our having stinkers.....suggesting that we bring on Threlkeld and Blissett and go for broke.....we're either going to win the league or come third....Doncaster and Portsmouth both winning.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-1 final score.....Portsmouth hit top spot on the last game....that's when it counts.

PS.....Exeter and Carlisle will be fed-up of each other in the next week or so.

18. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

Bad luck chaps. Good luck next season. Who knows we both might go up again next year

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well done.....the only time it matters to be top.

20. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Good luck to Argyle next season. You'll always have a place in Geordie hearts. <ok>