1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Carlisle

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Mar 3, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What could possibly go wrong.

(add comments)

2. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

lots:- wind,rain, referee. Might be a bit of a lottery tomorrow and the crowd need to get behind the team ...or at least not start moaning early. the crowd could well be close to 10000, (depending on the weather). Think we will see a much improved performance and get back to winning ways.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm kind of at a bit of a loss on this one if honest. We have played quite well against top opposition generally all season but of late we have been not very good at home. We will need to be quite good against these and I'm not sure if the results are collapsing again right now. It's never easy being an Argyle fan is it.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Thank goodness, no Songo'o in the starting 11. I may be in a minority but I think he's been a weak link. Presumably it;s 4:2:3:1 with Sarevic and Fox holding, Jervis and Kennedy wide and Carey in the hole.

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Pasoti thoughts are that this looks a good eleven......and you don't seem to be the only one notDistant that are happy that Songo'o isn't starting.

6. notDistantGreen

Looks as if it's working so far at 1-0 to Argyle, although 2 Carlisle goals ruled out for offside. Adams dangerous for Carlisle.

7. notDistantGreen

Penalty to Argyle

8. notDistantGreen

Jervis scores. 2-0.

9. notDistantGreen

Oh no Songo'o on for Sokolic. Why?

10. notDistantGreen

Bring out the bunting. Ref gives Spencer a free kick and books the defender. There's a first.

11. notDistantGreen

Donaldson on for Jervis to stem flow of Carlisle attacks through Adams in last few minutes.

12. notDistantGreen

Great result. Doncaster draw. Portsmouth and Exeter lose.

Two questions.

1 Why can't we do that against the likes of Orient ?

2 Why can't we do that when I go to Home Park?

13. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Stay away please.....some good results for us today.....Stevenage & Luton look the dangerous ones.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Right then here is a first hand account.

Looked a decent line up and the general consensus on the terrace was that they were sort of pleased that Songo'o wasn't on the pitch. Kick off and it was pretty much 50/50 for most of the first 20 minutes. Carlisle showed why they are up the top of the table without actually troubling Luke. Decent passing side and looked comfortable on the ball. Argyle much the same but perhaps shading the troubling keeper bit. Argyle were pressing up the field and it was from this that Taylor nicked the ball and threaded Carey through one on one with the keeper. It never looked in doubt. I expected Carlisle to step it up after that but Argyle kept them pretty quiet. The times Carlisle had the ball in the net the lino flagged them offside and once again in fairness to the lino he was dead on with the flag. Just as you thought it would end the half 1 - 0 the Ref gave a penalty to us. I have to say I thought it was quiete soft but others thought it was a foul anywhere else on the pitch so in the box had to be right and a penalty. Again once Jervis stepped up it was never in doubt. We went in 2 - 0 up and having watched Argyle play really well.

Second half and Songo'o came on at the start. Few groans around me. But to be fair I think he did ok in the back line. I think he plays better there. The only change in the second half was that Argyle did go into defensive mode and sat back a bit more. We did allow them the ball more but we also defended it really well. Not only that but it wasn't all one way traffic. We did create chances and another goal or not was again 50/50. I genuinely thought that nobody played badly. We defended when we had to and created chances when we could. I thought the result was never in doubt to be honest and it was well deserved.

Now, I know we won so this is going to sound like one of those "of course you would say that". But I'm going to say it anyway. I thought the officials today were all first class and actually on their game. The linos gave decisions and in fairness to them I could not fault any of them whether for or against Argyle. The Ref kept a lid on the game and was also fair to both sides in what he gave. He didn't give yellows for nothing and he didn't give decisions as a homer or awayist. if you know what I mean. Makes a change. As for MOM I would actually give it to a Carlisle player. Their No.10 who I think was called Adams was outstanding. I would love to have him in our side. For us I thought Jervis was very good today. Also Fox, Bradley and McCormick were decent. In truth all of them played well. Very good day at the office.

15. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Thanks Mr. Sensible for once i stayed awake the whole match.

16. lyndhurstgreen

As viewed from my lofty perch on the opposite side of the pitch I pretty much agree with everything you said. We were so much better than Tuesday and in fairness I thought Carlisle turned up and tried to play football. For once I really enjoyed it, as did all those around me. The ref was good, although I thought he gave out too many yellows in the second half but at least he controlled the game in a fairly unobtrusive way. Thought the pen decision was correct but I also thought we should have had one in the second half when kennedy was brought down....Most important thing is that it is another match ticked off with the gap maintained. 3 points on Tuesday will be huge.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

A second penalty might well have been correct but counteracted by one for them when Threkeld put his hand out to the ball and clearly handled it in the area. That was one each so I discounted them.

18. lyndhurstgreen

I honestly didn't see their shout for hand ball, but their players seemed pretty convinced, so perhaps there was something in it. As you say it probably balanced out fairly.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It was nailed on really lyndhurst. Probably one of the clearest handballs of the season. Not sure why the Ref ignored it to be honest.

20. notDistantGreen

Perhaps he realises that the natural position for arms is attached to the shoulders. We should get back to the principle that hand to ball is an offence, ball to hand is not.