1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Van Dijk to stay beyond this season

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc), Feb 9, 2017.

1. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

If it gave them the opportunity to write "Manchester City/Chelsea to be SPURNED as Van Dijk opts to stay! Plans in disarray!" headlines? Absolutely.

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Well you wouldn't. I, on the other hand, like to be neutral on these things, rather than automatically pessimistic.

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'd suggest it's realistic, rather than pessimistic.

4. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Ah. The mating call of the often spotted pessimist!

I think I'm a realist. It is allegedly real that Virgil signed a contract for a six year stay. I've never got footballers contracts. I had a few job contracts in my time, and there was always a notice period for terminating it, but not so with our booted brethren. I think saying "I bought you, boy, and you're staying here now" is called slavery.

So, I'm sure there will be something in the contract that says that the player can leave if certain conditions are met. If not, then the player should sack the agent and sue the PFA for being utterly useless. The crux of it all is what are the conditions. I strongly doubt that anyone outside of the signatories to the contract know. I also doubt that they'll reveal these to anyone.

So unless the articles in these alleged newspapers are written by Les Reed, Virgil or his agent they are the product of an over-active imagination.

Don't suppose anyone agrees that Virgil might be thinking: "Do you know what? I get well paid; I live in a nice place where I can bring up a family; I play as many games as I want; I am adored by the fans. Not a bad number."

No? Me neither, but we can dream!

5. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

This would be better than any new signing we would be hoping to make in the summer.

Come on Virgil, you will be a legend.

I see Koeman is confident of keeping hold of lukaku in the summer. I am hoping he is saying he is going to stay now out of loyalty and then disappears quicker than the Crystal Palace defence when a big money move comes in.

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If VVD does stay for next season then I reckon we could be in for a very exciting season. With Boufal and Gabbiadini settled, we could make a run for the top 4 if Puel gets it right.

7. TBD

TBD Active Member

Think that's a tad optimistic. The top of the table has got a lot stronger this season and don't see why that would change next season. Top 7 would be a good and challenging aim.

8. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It is optimistic. But I don't think the top of the table has got a lot stronger. Chelsea are back, and Spurs are very good, but City, United and Arsenal really aren't that good. And Liverpool have completely fallen away.

9. steve79

steve79 Well-Known Member

Think you meant top 8 ?

10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No top 4. I'm not saying we will get it but there's no reason why we can't do what we did in the second half of last season again if we keep Virgil.

11. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Add in Gylfi and why the hell not.

12. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Haha,
    not her = another!

13. MorgansBitOnTheSchneid

MorgansBitOnTheSchneid Well-Known Member

Some people seem to forget that footballers are actually people and not slaves. Sometimes people feel comfortable in their current surroundings and like the people they work with and the direction in which the company is going. Papers are quick to falsify moves just for hits or sales. Everyone actually skims over the fact the guy might actually enjoy going to work on a daily basis! Let's take Southamptons finest for an example, he could have achieved everything by moving but he didn't. Now I'm not saying VVD has that kind of loyalty but maybe just maybe he enjoys where he's at!

14. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

While true, Le Tissier reportedly spurned Tottenham because we matched their wage offer. If we don't do that, it's a far different narrative.

15. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Pretty sure he spurned Spurs because Tottenham is an absolute craphole. I may have got that wrong though.

That said, disparity in wages between the top clubs and the rest wasn't as extreme then; so when players said they joined clubs to win trophies, they may actually have meant it. LeTiss genuinely believed he might win a trophy at Saints. And Spurs weren't going to win the league, so why go there? He was always going to stay in the South.

16. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

He agreed terms with Spurs, but changed his mind when we matched:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/2235977/le-tiss-turned-down-spurs-move

17. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Perhaps he fancies a go at playing in the championship? *

* joke!

18. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I don't think money was the only factor.

It was no big secret at the time. I remember it well because I was working in an office sharing a desk with two Spurs fans who gave me pelters every day for weeks, but gradually went quiet when the dream move never happened. It was close though, and Tottenham had a pretty good team around that time. In fact they've always been "on the brink of something big", for as long as I can remember.

I also recall him saying around that time along the lines of "I earn 5 grand a week already and I can't spend that".

19. Le Saint

Le Saint Well-Known Member

The only reason he stayed was because of his (then) wife. He says as much when he does public speaking events.

20. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Like Le God, Virgil comes across as having a very laid back attitude. As long as he doesn't have a shark for an agent(like Wanyama) I don't think he is the type of guy to cause drama.

Of course, if a club comes in with a big offer then resolves will be tested, but I don't think VVD is a man ruled by the £