1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Van Basten think about change...

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Jan 18, 2017.

1. moreinjuredthanowen

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...asten-wants-to-scrap-offside-and-yellow-cards

interesting article on van basten musing about changes to football rules form his position as FIFA technical guru

no offside

no yellow card, put in a sin bin (i like this one)

no extra time and pens. do it like ice hockey (think this was done in mls?)

nobody but captain talks to ref (stupid, would rather refs miked and public)

cut number of games

cut out time wasting

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I ****ing hate that one.

3. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

No offside would be crazy. It'd be like kids playground stuff, run and chase, completely destroy the passing game.

4. moreinjuredthanowen

i agree. all it would do is make a bunch of goal hangers out of forwards. no need to run in behind any more.. just hang out on pen spot.

also the donkey ball teams would love it.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  5. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Offside is a great tactical aspect of the game. Forcing teams to push up etc. Ridiculous.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

No offside would destroyed the careers of pacey players. It would be big strong players that can finish instead

7. johnsonsbaby

Especially when it's refereed well <whistle> I think some refs can't keep up with great offside beating pass and moves and blow for it on a 'just in case' basis.

8. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Van Basten was **** <ok>

9. moreinjuredthanowen

Sin bin in rugby does become really attack v defense at times.

I would see a lot of negativity about managers pulling teams back into a 10 men back while someone is off thing.

I do still like the sin bin. I feel as though snide little stuff can be dealt with better than flashing a card.

Its just that if a player goes off then the issue is really is a 10minute period where one team just defends worth it?

Lets look at herrara.

1. it was late in game.
    2. it was really blatent and continual
    3. he also dived to get someone sent off as well on top of it.

for me this would be a sin bin and utd would have had to play close to the end of the gae with 10 men. (not sure of incident time)

however

if this had been 10mins into game a yellow card would have meant he couldn't make a tackle for rest of game and potentially that would be of benefit to LFC more than a 10min period where utd shut down til he comes back

So: late in game sin bin would hae been great.... early in game would it have been good? I don't know.... would two sin bins = sent off?

what would someone get for

• persistent fouling
    • bad tackle
    • back chat
    • time wasting
    • kicking ball away
    • taking off shirt
    • professional foul (herrara thing)
    • encroaching on a free.

all these are different. If someone did what herrera did i'd be chuffed to take a sin bin if it saved a goal situation. If the amount of unpunished utd ball kicking away were now let off cos a sin bin is too much hassle?

i mean it does get tricky? do you need one card for 5mins off and one for 10 mins off?

10. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Depends if it's one of ours <laugh>

11. johnsonsbaby

The problem I have with a sin bin is it's just very un-football like. The pace and style of the game doesn't lend itself to players sitting out chunks of time during the game. The sports that use it tend to be stop-start type games whereas football is a more free flowing game.

12. moreinjuredthanowen

you are right but i did play a couple of rugby games and the amount of chasing about is not that much different. there is a lot of too and fro in rugby... if a game runs for 5 mins of course but you have to chase a ball 50 yards and follow up, ther eis offside and shuffling side to side. O kits fair that theres not as many pure sprints but you are talking about a heavy phyiscal game.

a lot of rugby teams put sub players on exercise bikes to keep the warmed up.

I think in general you underestimate how stop start football is with set piece and under estimate rugby. the main difference in rubgy is every penalty, scrum and throw is potentially a minute of setting up but is a free with a wall really that much longer?

You can certainly dig in with 14 in rugby but then one team tries to stretch it more with 15 v 14 and the game actually can be better.

with football i could see teams going sat 4-5-0 formation for the 10 mins. it really depends who gets sent off..... if your keeper is sinbinned you would have to stick one in. in rugby they allow this for some scrums in forwards as another player would break their neck... if your cb goes in the bin what do you do? drop a cm back in?

who knows.. i do think in general teams would go negative more in football BUT it creates its own excitement as an expectation of you should go for it and score here happens.

you really want cynical stuff you don't want to see punihsed this way.

divers... refs rarely wave a card now.. would they sin bin it?
    pulling shirts very obviously to stop a break. I would hope this is done but again teams would still say do it to stop a goal.
    time wasting... refs don;t deal with this either.. some keepers take over a minute to kick a ball out!

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  13. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I'd prefer enforced substitution rather than sin bin. If the team as used all their subs then tough ****

14. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Sin Bin for diving is a great idea...Instead of a meaningless (most of the time) yellow card for a striker his team lose his ability for ten minutes.

Same for time wasting...what puts your team under more pressure in the last ten minutes...not wasting time or being a man down against a superior team.

Only captain speaks is just easy..like rugby more accurately only the captain can approach the ref. The ref can still ask the captain to bring over a player to talk to but it's all in the refs control..

And captains talk with respect...ask.the question get an answer ...not the Rooney 2 minutes of foul mouthed abuse or ref surrounded...no approaching the linesman at all.

No offside worked in hockey because the ball moves so fast and mostly along the ground and you can only score from inside the circle...it won't work for football.

Never getting less games...moneymen won't allow it. Best you can hope for is no mid-season Internationals..

15. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

As for penalty replacement...make it a mad one...extra time, with 3 extra subs but make it 8 a side lol

16. moreinjuredthanowen

that would only encourage teams to dvie about to get a vital player like saurez off the park <whistle>

17. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Just saw this. Hi k someone needs to send a dr round to look at him. No offside would ruin the game. Would mean you have 3 defenders sitting on the edge of 18 yard box all game. Forwards doing same and no midfield just lump from one end to other.

18. moreinjuredthanowen

More or less yes.

But then it would create masses of space in the middle but whether the lump of the space made is better who knows.

Every experiment without the rule has failed exactly as youve pointed out.

19. saintKlopp

Meh. Stop fiddling with the rules - just enforce the existing ones properly.

20. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Sin bin instead of yellow?

No.

Sin bin as an alternative to yellow for certain offences? Maybe... Maybe I can see it for arguing with ref, diving, etc.

For dangerous tackles, professional fouls, etc, you want a yellow card so threat of sending off is there without a straight red. Personally I don't see need though for sin bin though.

I think MLS style timekeeping takes away some of the suspense so wouldn't be for that.

Off side rule was introduced for a reason, without it it would be a bunch of long balls. Now, if we just eliminated it for balls originating in the penalty box, as that can be tricky for linesmen, I think that would have merit.