1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread UTD V Southampton Bland free matchday thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

I think we ve got enough no 10s without trying to play Rashford there. Like was said earlier, Rashford will never be a no 10, at least not yet. Rooney is still doing a job for the team but my feeling is that gradually he'll be replaced by a younger and more dynamic player. Is that Mikhi?

With Mourinho, at least Ive got an understanding of what he is trying to do. Just rational (if hard headed) decision making. With LVG we've had a lifetime of head scratching wondering what was he trying to achieve by playing players in all sorts of different positions.

We've got promising academy and expensively recruited players. Let's get back to basics and play them in their best positions. In which position did Rashford score these goals last season? If he is coming on as sub, then it makes sense for him to play in that same position.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Treble likes this.
  2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

So what role did Pogba play last season at Juve? No 6? No 80? No 1? or No 10?

3. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He was a central midfielder. Alongside Marchiso and Khedira, or sometimes just Marchiso. Dybala, Morata and Mandzukic were the attacking players.

You seem to be confusing roles with shirt numbers. There is no "No 80" role. Although they's usually not a number 80 shirt either!

4. theevilreddevil

theevilreddevil Well-Known Member

5. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

There's not No. 80? No sht, Swarbs! lol

Pogba was very much the key playmaker at Juve. He played in that advanced position to great effect. Hence why there was a whole hoorah about the position he was asked to play for France at Euro which was a more defensive holding role. An attacking playmaker with right to roam is very much a No. 10 in football. That's why we played ‎£90m for him. Not because he is a Roy Keane. He is much more a player in mold of Zidane.

6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Nope, the hoorah was because he isn't a DM (or a No10 either), he is a complete box to box midfielder and needs to be allowed to patrol where he is needed and can be most effective.

7. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good stuff, you can take over banging your head against the "I hate Rooney" wall, I'm done trying <ok>

8. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Who is a No. 10? My definition of it is the playmaker - No. 10 role in football is an attacking midfield player and playmaker. This is exactly the role Pogba played last season at Juve. If your definition of No. 10 is different, then I'm all ears.

-Pogba
    “I would say midfielder on the left [is my best position],” he told Sky Sports. “If you play a three I can play on the right of left, but I feel more comfortable to play on my left.

I can do it [holding midfielder], but I feel more comfortable a bit higher.”

Hey, I get it that we argue over opinions on the board. But this is not a matter of opinion. Pogba is better than Rooney at No. 10 thus, would serve the team better in that role in place of Rooney. End of story!

9. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

10. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I have always classed a No.10 as a guy who plays centrally, in the hole between CM and CF.
    Like in a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-3-1-2, any formation where there is a 1 before the strikers, thats a No.10.
    Though I guess you could have a No.10 in a 4-2-3-1 as the middle part of the 3.

cytrax likes this.

11. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd probably agree with that.

And as I've said before ( :headbang: ) Pogba has never played that role for Juve or for France. Juve played a 4-3-1-2 where Pogba was on the left side of the three (“If you play a three I can play on the right of left, but I feel more comfortable to play on my left"), and France played a 4-2-3-1 where Pogba was in the two.

But hey, let's stick the CM we paid £89m for in the number 10 role where he's never played before.

Because :emoticon-0159-musicRooney Rooney Rooney Rooney:emoticon-0159-music

12. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Actually Juve play a 3-5-2 formation where Pogba Marchisio and Vidal/Khedira.

But yes all 3 were box to box and all 3 covered each other when the 2 attacked

13. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ok, I thought they often played with Mandzukic, Dybala and Morata as a front three last season, with Dybala dropping off into the 10 role. Either way, it wasn't Pogba playing in the withdrawn attacking role!