1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Underwhelmed

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by nickyb, Feb 3, 2015.

1. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Youm not a proper fan youth

2. ricc full

ricc full Well-Known Member

wednesday we played well but Man Citys class on finishing shone through, yesterday was all Camerons fault getting sent off, we were in control even though it was 1-1, Muniesas hamstring went giving them another goal. I dont think we will be relegated lol

3. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We are looking a little thin now, and will be rotating into a second string eleven.

4. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Not being facetious Smithers, but do we have a fit for purpose second string eleven ???

Our waste of space Academy should have producing at least some promising candidates rather than cheap sell offs to Divs 1 and 2.

Just close the vanity project down and save what was it £5 Million per year (or something like), could buy a useful player for that, or more likely top up the Coates's pension pot

5. Smithers

Forum Moderator

I'm not 100% convinced in our second eleven if I'm totally honest and we have a few players who are still learning their craft in this league.

In relation to our academy.....well where to start? It takes a generation to develop a talent pool through an academy and it needs more time. We have invested money that could have been redirected into wages, players or ground extension but it's difficult to quantify - what I will say is that every big club should have a development presence in the local community. I don't think ours is good enough if I'm honest, it's the under 10's of today that will be the team of tomorrow!

6. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Fair points Smithers.
    From what I remember Pulis was not the biggest fan of the Academy from the outset.

Hey ho...we are where we are.

7. koskikabow

koskikabow Active Member

Glen Whelan , like me , is unhappy with our performances of late. Don't know what MH thinks about that.
    Will he reprimand Whelan for going public while agreeing with him about the performances. If we are a professional club we cannot make a string of injuries an excuse for poor performances. We should have satisfactory backup resources to put in when needed. And we don't have them. That is why January was an opportunity wasted. Don't ask me who should have been brought in , that's not my job , it is the club's responsibility. The supposition remains that currently we are not good enough to hold our present position much longer. Add to the injury problem that of Camerone's suspension.
    KTF. Are you still with us Potts ?

8. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Going to ask the same question KKB re Potts AND SIS.

C'mon guys...talk to us:)

Back on topic...it's good to know KKB that I am not a voice in the wilderness.

Yes...I do believe that Hughes is doing the best he can...take that anyway you want to.

If we do NOT invest on the playing side we are doomed. We have too many in the first team squad who are ageing journeymen and others on the far side of 30.

Meanwhile the pension pot grows apace

9. jowlermonkey

jowlermonkey Well-Known Member

Long term we will have to buy some new players, we could have bought more in the window, I was a bit perplexed with Huth going out on loan but who could have guessed on the amount of injuries we have sustained.

10. zozozela

zozozela Active Member

We do look a bit thin on the ground all of a sudden.
    These little blips happen within a season though, don't they? I'm not too concerned and I've read today that Walters, Shawcross and Ireland trained today with the squad.
    I'm not sure if it was in this thread or the relegation thread 're Huth. Now I'm going to commit sacrilege and say it was right for him to move on. Yes he and Shawcross were immense for many years but that was before the change in the style of play. He became injured just as Hughes managed to impress upon the rest of the team how he wanted them to play. I wonder if Huth remains a little one dimensional in his play. Ok, let the abuse begin. Still love Huth though.

11. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

No abuse from me Zoz.

I preferred our solid CB style...it is all very well playing 'lovely' football...but not with a leaky/flaky defence.

Just look at LVG at Old Trafford

12. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Without sounding like Pulis, but clean sheets normally lead to 3 points. For me a fit Huth should be a starter for us, but that's a personal opinion and I understand if MH feels that the combination of both is a little too raw for pushing out from the back. However, I don't think you get more raw than Terry and Cahill?

13. zozozela

zozozela Active Member

You are both right if course. I always felt more confident when he was at the back but I don't think he fitted how we are trying to play now. For Bojan, Arnautovic, Moses and Diouf to make space, we need the ball playing to them on th floor. I do think though that with time he can adapt his style. I'd love to see him back.

14. ricc full

we score more goals and make more chances so inevitably we will let more in, now people are criticising our new style of play, perhaps we should bring back Pulis and start lumping it forward again?, you just couldnt make it up some of the comments on here. We have lost to Man City and Blackburn when we had 10 men. Ive never seen such an overreaction

15. zozozela

zozozela Active Member

Bloody he'll Ricc, you seem to have the opposite of rose tinted glasses when it comes to the comments on this board!
    I don't think I'm complaining, I think I'm commenting on the team I love in a forum of like minded people (being Stoke fans).

I cannot speak for the others but I don't get to chatter in this way at home. My husband hates football so I have limited chance to have a moan or just chat.

I think Hughes is doing a good job. The CB pairing is only an issue at the moment because of injuries but as you say, we're letting in more goals because we're attacking more. No one is saying let's return to the old style of play but conceding 8 goals in two games with the injury list we have is cause for comment if not concern.

Dunna get on your high horse at everything said that is anything other than immediately positive.

Smithers likes this.
  16. ProudPotter

ProudPotter Well-Known Member

Well said Zoz

17. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Thank you Zoz.

This thread was ALL about the board's stated wish that the club be self sufficient and my question was HOW?

Then the super-fan hijacked the thread

zozozela likes this.
  18. ricc full

I speak the truth, not having a go at anyone if you dont like a positive opinion which there are very few on this board (if any) then ill gladly leave. Just ask yourselves where are all of the other posters on here who used to post regular?, yep they left, why you ask? well please read this thread, the thread about relegation, how we should have bought more players and used our crystal balls becasue we knew that Wilson, Pieters, Cameron, Wilkinson, Shawcross were going to get injured. How the Coates family are ripping our club apart, how the Coates family are creaming the club although without them we would still be playing in the third tier of football. Does anyone remember what that was like?. The problem with some people on here and even at the Brit is youre becoming premier league snobs, you seem to think we have a right not only to stay in this division but to keep progressing, until what?, we get in the champions league?, obviously never going to happen!, this is the best we can ask for and im loving it and i feel sorry for some of you moaning and groaning about this and the other because one day it will all be over and you will have spent most of your time moaning rather than enjoying it. This is not a personal attack at individuals just my opinion so because they are positive views I will leave as all the other positive posters have left before me. Bye, just one question how do i delete my account?

19. koskikabow

koskikabow Active Member

I have taken my depression medication but cannot shake off the feeling that we could be in for another 4-1 drubbing today.
    Somebody cheer me up.

20. zozozela

zozozela Active Member

It is unfortunate that we play them in this game; being the first one with the gobby Mr Sherwood in charge.

I think if we get an early goal it will take the wind out of their sails. I think both teams will be desperate to get the points and I see it being a draw. I'd be happy with that. I thought that they did not play that well even when they beat us at home and they've only got worse since then.