1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

U21s Season 2015/16

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Changes afoot -

"The Club confirms that Scott Miller has left the Club to pursue other opportunities. Since joining the Club Scott has been employed in a number of roles, having most recently been coach to the Club’s Under-21 team. We wish Scott well in his future career."

please log in to view this image

2. Cottager58

The game against the Met Police mentioned in the Pre-season Matches thread is indeed an U21 game. They have currently 3 friendlies planned, all away from home -

* Met Police – Wednesday 8th July (ko 7.45pm)
    * Maidenhead United – Wednesday 22nd July (ko 7.30pm)
    * Tooting & Mitcham – Tuesday 28th July (ko 7.45pm)

3. Cottager58

Another match has been arranged -

* Dunstable FC - Saturday 1st August at Creasey Park (ko 3pm)

I'm assuming this is an U21 game .. but with the first team playing Crystal Palace on the same day .. it may be a mixed U21/U18 side.

4. Cottager58

A third fixture has been announced for August 1st

* Colchester United away kick off 3pm.

The Colchester website says “Kit Symons will be sending a young side”. Since they are in League 1, I’m assuming that will predominantly be our U21s and that the side going to play Dunstable - who are a Southern League side - will be the U18s.

But who knows. And, although Dunstable have, Fulham haven’t yet confirmed that game.

5. Cottager58

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  6. Cottager58

Met Police 1 Fulham 0 (U21s) (Friendly)

Fulham caught bang to rights as a first half header seals it for the Old Bill

Coach Peter Grant named a 21-man squad:

Elijah Adebayo, Taye Ashby-Hammond, Tiago Casasola, Aron Davies, Luca de la Torre, Tayo Edun, Shane Elworthy, Jordan Evans, Stephen Humphrys, Mattias Kait, Buomesca Tué Na Bangna, Dean O’Halloran, Jerome Opoku, Harrison Paton, Aaron Redford, Ravin Shamsi, Ryheem Sheckleford, Josh Smile, Jake Soutter, A. Trialist, Joshusa Walker

[Pretty much the all of the U21 and U18s from last year who have been retained on the books. “A Trialist” - Bruno Wilson - may be the Sporting Lisbon U19 CB]

Fulham Team First Half: Soutter, Elworthy, Opoku, Kait, A Trialist, Adebayo, Mesca, O’Halloran, Redford de la Torre, Edun

Fulham Team Second Half: Soutter, Sheckleford, Evans, Davies, Casasola, Smile, Paton, O'Halloran, Shamsi, Walker, Humphrys.

"After an even opening 10 minutes, Fulham went closest to opening the scoring on 20 when Aaron Redford met Luca de la Torre’s cross but volleyed wide. Two minutes later the hosts were in front. A Charlie Collins free-kick was played deep into the Fulham box and Police defender Rob Bartley headed home. In response, Dean O’Halloran fired over from 12 yards on the half-hour mark in what was the final action of note in the opening half.

The Whites fielded almost an entirely different team for the start of the second half, making nine changes at the break. Only towering Australian goalkeeper Jake Soutter and winger O’Halloran remained on the pitch from the first 45. Josh Walker almost had an immediate impact but saw a shot saved, before the Police hit the bar from a corner. On the hour, a superb double save from the Police keeper denied Walker and then Stephen Humphrys, while Jordan Evans whistled a shot inches over with eight minutes left. As the game entered stoppage time, Harry Paton headed Evans’ cross over from six yards in what would be Fulham’s final chance of the game."

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  7. Cottager58

Video highlights .. you really don't want to watch when our defence concede the goal.

8. Cottager58

Aldershot 2 Fulham 0 (U21s) (Friendly)

Again a mix of U21 and U18 players; with Tiago Casasola getting his first game from the bench. However defensive lapses yet again prove costly.

The team was:

Soutter, Sheckleford (Edun 75), Evans (Smile 75), Davies (Casasola 46), Trialist, Smile (Kait 46), Na Bangna, Edun (de la Torre 46), O'Halloran (Humphrys 75), Humphrys (Redford 46), Plumain.

”The Whites made a bright start to proceedings and good approach play saw chances squandered by Dean O’Halloran, Tayo Edun and Ange-Freddy Plumain in the opening 10 minutes. The Shots sent an effort whistling past the post in the 20th minute, before a neat one-two between Stephen Humphrys and Plumain moments later saw the Frenchman test the visiting keeper.

On the half-hour mark, a great cross from Edun found Plumain but the Shots keeper does well to smother the shot from close range. At the other end, Jake Soutter saved a low drive from the edge of the box. Humphrys – twice – and Plumain then saw efforts blocked and it was the Shots who went in front a minute before the break in comical fashion. A mix-up in the back four saw Soutter advance to collect the ball but a trialist's attempted clearance hit Aron Davies and trickled into the net.

Half-time substitute Mattias Kait forced a good save from a low drive in the early stages of the second half and with 10 minutes left, an excellent run and cross from Humphrys was palmed away by the keeper as Aaron Redford waited to pounce. Another classic sucker punch saw Aldershot secure the win with three minutes left. Fulham conceded possession from a throw-in and were hit on the counter as Aldershot grabbed their second.

9. Cottager58

Oh well, the Club are saying the friendly out in Portugal was an U21 game. Here’s their report:

Vitoria Guimaraes 0 Fulham 1 (U21s) (Friendly)

The team was:

Soutter, Sheckleford, Evans, Davies, Adebayo, Smile (Elworthy 85), Edun (Kait 46), O'Halloran (Walker 46), de la Torre, Humphrys, Redford

"A sharp start from Peter Grant’s side saw Stevie Humphrys score a good individual goal after five minutes. He picked the ball up on the edge of the penalty area, drove into the box and produced an excellent finish with his left foot from 10 yards.

The Whites continued to impress and created some good chances with Humphrys and Luca de la Torre going close. Guimaraes then came into the game and one effort flashed just wide of the post, but the half finished with Tayo Edun forced off with an ankle injury having come off worst in a firm challenge.

The second half begun with Fulham dominating possession. Humphrys went close from five yards and Josh Walker should have better with the follow up. Aaron Redford then thumped the post. Fulham then dropped too deep and invited pressure from their hard-working opponents but Shane Elworthy replaced the excellent Josh Smile as the Whites closed the game out comfortably in the end.”

10. Cottager58

And meanwhile the U21s have a friendly against Maidenhead United tonight. The team is:

Souter; Sheckleford, Casasola, Adebayo, Evans; Smile, Kait, De La Torre; O’Halloran, Redford, Humphrys

Subs: Jens, Walker, Nabay, Fosey, Plumain. Paton, Shamsi

Just for the record, young Harrison Paton is my tip for the future.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015

11. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Just got back from the Maidenhead game - lost 2 Nil.

Started ok and was arguably the better side when we conceded the first goal. Entertaining first half and good to see the youngsters and some football at last. For me Smile our best player, natural play maker. Evans also had some nice touches. Fair result overall and quite an enjoyable night.

Paton came on 10 minutes to go - small and lively, was straight in the action. I agree - could be good.

12. Cottager58

What I like about him is that he follows the game not the ball.

13. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

It would seem from the U21 players profile that we have very few of the players left !!!?
    I've been told Ryan Williams is be sold to Barnsley and Boumesca is being let go as well.
    Two players that I thought had a chance of progressing.

There seems to be a restructuring of the Academy going on. Which begs the question will we be able to entice the young stars like Roberts to join us like we used too.?

14. FulhamIreland

FulhamIreland Well-Known Member

I think the players in the last year of eligibility for U18s will probably be moved up to U21s to allow Steve Wigley at least 2 years to work with the lads at U18 level and Peter Grant 2-3 years with the lads at U21s. Worth noting that a large chunk of our first team squad are still eligible for U21s.

15. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, he has been somewhat MIA for two years now. His release is disappointing, but not at all surprising.

16. Cottager58

Tooting & Mitchum United 2 Fulham 2 (U21s) (Friendly)

As FI said it appears that what we have is the U18s moving up an age group. I haven’t done the maths but the average age of the team in this game must be around 17. The team was:

Rodàk; Sheckleford (Adebayo 55'), Trialist, Davies, Evans; O'Halloran (Shamsi 70'), Smile, de la Torre, Nabay; Walker, Humphrys

Unused subs: Soutter, Casasola, Dolan, Paton

”Peter Grant’s boys made the worst possible start to proceedings when they failed to cut out a near post corner, allowing the home side to head in from close range for 1-0 with just two minutes on the clock. Despite the early setback, the Whites began to grab a foothold in the game and twice went close to an equaliser in quick succession; first when Walker had a shot saved, and then when Aron Davies headed over from the resulting corner.

The goal their performance merited arrived five minutes before half-time. Good combination play between Ryheem Sheckleford, Humphrys and Luca de la Torre culminated in Josh Walker springing the offside trap before sliding a cool finish under the ‘keeper.

The second half began at an even pace, with Humphrys going closest for the visitors with a shot from 20 yards that just missed the target. The young striker wasn’t to be denied, though, and he put his side in front for the first time with quarter of an hour remaining. Good, quick passing in midfield resulted in de la Torre accelerating into the box and slipping the ball into Stevie Humphrys who then checked back on to his right foot and found the net from eight yards.

It looked as though it would be enough to win the game, but Tooting snatched a share of the spoils in the 88th minute after Fulham failed the clear the ball in a dangerous area.”

17. Cottager58

With thanks to Mike G of the FST, here's a run down of the lads who played in one or more of the U21s three friendly games:

Jake Soutter (GK) 17yrs
    Played reasonably well in the first two games, could maybe have done better with one of the goals against Maidenhead, but made some good saves as well. Be interesting to see how many games he plays this year. We have loaned out Norman and also just signed another 20 year old GK.

Marek Rodak (GK) 18yrs
    Rodak seems to have been at the club for quite a while now and while I have worries about his ability to get low he made a number of good stops against Mitcham. Once again with all these keepers at the club will he stay or go on loan?

Elijah Adebayo (Def) 17yrs
    Played in all three games, 2 as a CB and the last game as a RB sub. I have been impressed by him, both with his control and reading of the game.

Ryheem Sheckleford (Def) 18yrs
    A star of the youth cup final team Ryheem now has a year of the U21's behind him and is looking stronger every time I see him. Still a lot to learn and I see this as an important year for him.

Aron Davies (Def) 17yrs
    Played the whole game against Tooting and half a game against the Met Police and looked very good. Played some nice long passes , won important headers in both box's and thought he moved well to give the GK and other players options to receive the ball. Very promising

Jordan Evans (Def) 19yrs
    The player with the best cross in the club (maybe apart from Pringle) for me. You look forward to him receiving the ball on the left and making space for a cross, because it almost always finds the danger area. Needs to get out on loan to take the 'Fulham' pathway to the first team, the sooner the better for his advancement.

Tiago Casasola (Def) 19yrs
    Now the Argentine enigma. The player who seems to play more for his national youth teams than our own U21's. The two games he played in were the first time I have seen him play, and in all honesty could not see what all the fuss was about. His distribution at times was dreadful and while he did a couple of standout interceptions and one very good tackle in the Met Police game, he did not shine. Maybe I expected more and his non appearance against Tooting does make me wonder if he has a future at the club.

Josh Smile (Mid) 18yrs
    Josh is another graduate of the Youth Cup team and has found himself playing as the holding midfielder. He's played quite well in all the games and likes to attack the opposition sometimes with his pace and tricky runs with the ball. Can also put in a hard tackle as seen at the Maidenhead game.
    Another full season at U21 level and then a loan to see how he does is what's required.

Dean O'Halloran (Mid) 19yrs
    The Captain started the first game up front which seemed a bit odd but since then has played more on the right side of central midfield. Works very hard and does a lot of the breakup of play and giving the ball to the more expressive players.

Luca de la Torre (Mid) 17yrs
    De la Torre has been the most impressive player over the three games. I've come away from them thinking we could have a real gem of a player in him. Playing as the number 10 behind the strikers he is always making space, has close control and a few tricks. Of course they don't all come off, but I've seen him make at least three great passes to attackers from the edge of the box, nice inside passes.

Need to somehow keep him under wraps for a while or the big boys will be looking..although I suspect they already know who he is.

Foday Nabay (Mid) 16yrs
    Really impressive out wide in the Tooting game. Both covered Evans when he made his way forward on the left and also got himself involved in the build up for Humphries goal when he ran at the defenders, passed it to Torre who then fed Humphrys to score. Only the second time I have seen him and 17 next month I really hope to see more of him this coming season.

Stephen Humphrys (Fwd) 17yrs
    Scorer of the first goal for Fulham at Tooting Stephen led the line well and showed different aspects to his game. Can be the big man up top or running at defenders and having a shot. As traditional a striker as I have seen in the last few years in the U21 age group.

Of course the one name missing from above is Ange Freddy Plumain. Only a short sub appearance at Maidehead to show from the three games. While lively he never got onto the end or produced much. Not sure why he's been missing and hope its nothing more than a knock keeping him out. We need to get him games at a senior level so a loan would make sense.

18. Cottager58

Fulham 1 Brighton 0 (U21s)

No big names in the side and as FI said the ‘Trialist’ was indeed Ian Pino Soler, having yet another run out. What a good start to the season by the youngsters though. The team was:

Rodak; Sheckleford, Pino, Burgess, Evans; Smile; O'Halloran, de la Torre, Edun (Kait 25'); Redford, Humphrys

Unused subs: Dawber, Elworthy, Casasola, Nabay

"Brighton started the brighter and could have taken the lead inside six minutes but Jesse Starkey couldn’t get on the end of Joseph Ward’s dangerous cross from the right-hand side. Minutes later Andrew Crofts tried his luck from distance but his effort sailed comfortably over Marek Rodàk’s crossbar. Albion continued to dominate and Daniel Akindayini should have given them the lead but his powerful effort was well blocked by Rodàk.

Fulham struggled to threaten in the opening stages and had to wait until the 17th minute for their first meaningful attack when Luca de la Torre scuffed a shot over. The visitors were nearly gifted the opening goal on 36 minutes when Cameron Burgess misjudged the bounce of the ball to let James Tilley in but he couldn’t direct his shot on target as his scooped effort landed just wide. Akindayini came close again for Brighton but his strong left-footed strike was comfortably saved by Rodàk at his near post. The home side saw their best chance of the first half fall to Humphrys but he couldn’t direct his shot on target from a tight angle after he had skipped round the challenge of Seagulls keeper Harry Doherty.

The first chance of the second half fell to Fulham but Humphrys’ optimistic effort from 30 yards was high and wide over Doherty’s goal. Humphrys then had his second chance in as many minutes but wasted a golden opportunity, blazing over after great work down the right-hand side from Ryheem Sheckleford. The Fulham frontman had his third chance of the second half on 71 minutes but again he couldn’t keep his strike down and failed to test Doherty. Brighton had to wait until the 76th minute for their first effort of the second period but Ward’s curling strike floated just over.

Peter Grant’s men looked the more likely of the two to find a winner and finally found a way through on 86 minutes. A great turn and finish from Stevie Humphrys after good work by de la Torre left Doherty with no chance as his scuffed shot found the bottom corner. Minutes later Aaron Redford had an opportunity to seal the points but Doherty saved well with his legs. Despite late Brighton pressure Fulham held on to give the Whites the perfect start to the season."

19. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

If Evans played, can we assume he isn't going to be the solution to the left-back injury problem?

20. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

I like to make predictions on the youngsters I constantly watch. Roberts Dembele & Hyndman
    3 great prospects, who the majority of FFC fans never got to see their immense potential.
    I add another 2 names to this list Sheckleford & Plumain will they make it in the first 11 or
    will the then incumbrant manager stifle or cock up their progress at the Cottage when the time comes.