1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

U18 Fixtures - Season 2013/14

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I was very impressed with Sheckleford too, although I thought Pat Roberts was man of the match. Their keeper impressed as well. It was my first proper look at Pat, and now I'm very excited about the future. Hopefully he'll spend a lot of it with us.

2. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

That was my first viewing of our under 18s and what a team. Great game and advert for youth football. I was impressed with Williams on the left wing too. What struck me was their composure on the ball and passing skills. Well done to the boys and Reading too, who have great players for the future also.

3. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

The only bit of the Riverside used on Monday night was the VIP area and it was packed with scouts. I'm sure Pat wasn't the only one they came to see but obviously he would have impressed. Keeping him should be a priority but could prove difficult. Apart from earlier rumours about Man United and Liverpool interest there are now stories about..

Arsenal having joined the hunt to sign him, according to the Daily Mirror. The paper also said, " the England youth international only recently made his senior team debut for the Cottagers, and has already gotten top clubs in Barcelona and Real Madrid intent on signing him."

4. Cottager58

The Club have confirmed dates for our two postponed Under-18 fixtures, both games to be played at Motspur Park.

Everton on Saturday 12th April (11am); and

Arsenal on Wednesday 16th April (12pm).

5. Cottager58

Just for interest. Chelsea beat Arsenal 2-1 tonight in the first leg of the other FA Youth Cup semi-final.

6. Captain Morgan

Yes, Williams caught my eye. I thought he took the wrong option on more than one occasion, but you can forgive that in a young player who is still learning his trade. He showed good skill to get into the positions from which he took the wrong option, which bodes well for the future.

7. Cottager58

In fairness to him, he usually plays on the other wing.

8. Cottager58

Fulham 0 Everton 5 (U18s)

With most of the regular team in Dallas, Mark Pembridge took charge of the Under-18s side drawn from lower down the Academy age groups. So the result is hardly surprising with Everton in second place of the North Group.

9. Cottager58

Fulham 1 Arsenal 4 (U18s)

Again a side made up mainly of U16 players and triallists while the main group are in Dallas.

Scorer: Steve Humphrys

Know there's a glut of fixtures because of the Youth Cup run but still not sure why the Club re-arranged this and the Everton game to over-lap with Dallas. No doubt there was method...somewhere.

10. Cottager58

The Club have confirmed the dates for the FA Youth Cup Final – but fixtures will vary depending on our opponent.

Which side we play is yet to be decided with Arsenal and Chelsea entering tonight’s second leg encounter with the tie finely poised. The Blues, though, take a slender 2-1 lead into the game at the Emirates with goals from Charlie Colkett and Alex Kiwomya cancelling out Chuba Akpom’s opening strike.

If our West London rivals see the tie through, we will play the First Leg of the Final at Craven Cottage on Monday 28th April (7.45pm) with the Second Leg set for Stamford Bridge on Monday 5th May (7.45pm).

OR

Should the Gunners prove successful, we will face the North London side at the Emirates on Wednesday 30th April (7.45pm) for the First Leg and resume the action at Craven Cottage on Monday 5th May (7.45pm).

Both legs will be live on ITV4, with further details and away ticket prices announced next week. The game at Craven Cottage, though, will be £5 for adults and £3 for concessions.

11. Cottager58

Our oppents will be Chelsea. In a fairly bland game tonight they beat Arsenal 1-0 to take the tie 3-1 on aggrgate.

So, as said in the previous post, the first leg of the Final is at the Cottage on Monday 28th April.

12. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

Chelsea will be bringing quite a few fans down for this game ,so lets hope that they
    don't out support us on our own turf.
    Last season in the Chelsea v Norwich game ,Norwich had a crowd of over 20,000,
    and it was televised.

13. Cottager58

Tickets for Monday's home game are on sale, although you will be able to pay at the gate as well. As I understand it we are in the Johnny Haynes and the Club are opening up the Putney end for Chelsea fans.

14. Cottager58

Despite fielding an inexperienced team, and losing, the last two games while the main group were in Dallas the U18s are still lying third in their League. Five points behind second placed West Ham but with two games in hand. However, those two games have been sandwiched between Monday night’s FA Youth Cup game (28th April) against Chelsea.

They are now playing Manchester United on Saturday (26th April) at Motspur Park, with a weird kick off time of 2pm. Then they travel to Middlesbrough for an 11am kick off on Tuesday (29th April).

It’s pretty much the same next weekend with a game on the Saturday (3rd May) away to Aston Villa and Tuesday (6th May) away to West Brom either side of the Chelsea replay on Monday (5th May).

I guess the focus, and therefore the strongest team, will be on winning the Cup.

As Huw Jennings, Steve Wigley and Co. have always said, the League is all about development not winning. However, a top spot would still be nice. And unlike Dallas, when all the regulars were ruled out for League matches, there will hopefully be a decent enough mix of talent to make a game of it in the remaining four matches.

15. Cottager58

Steve Wigley says, in this article, that it’s not a done deal that Pat Roberts and Moussa Dembele will be available for selection in the the Cup Final on Monday -

“The talented duo both received their first-team debuts this season, and Wigley is aware they could be ruled out of the final following potential weekend Premier League duties with manager Felix Magath. Wigley said: "We hope we have them - the manager has been fantastic so far and supported us in every game and if we want to win the Youth Cup we are going to need to be at our very best. "I'll have to ask the manager if the boys are available.”

“I hope they are involved on Saturday and win the game for us against Hull City and then I get them on Monday night, which will be an ideal situation for all."

Monday's clash will be Fulham's first experience of the Final, in the 61-year history of the FA Youth Cup, and Wigley believes they will have to beat one of the best youth sides in the world to win the trophy. "We've played some very good sides on the route to the final, including Tottenham and Manchester City. We also had some frights along the way against Huddersfield and Reading," he added.

"They are very good sides as well, but I think we are going to play one of the best youth team sides around on Monday night."

Chelsea have an incredible recent record in the FA Youth Cup after being in four out of the last five Finals, but Wigley does not think the Blues' experience will have any role in the outcome of the tie. "Half of my team played in the final of the Youth Premier League last season which we won, half of them played in Dallas last year when we won the Dallas Cup against some very good teams from around the world so I think we will be as prepared as them. We have some great experience in our team as well."

Source: http://www.thefa.com/news/competiti...ng-on-fitness-of-star-duo#KU67tfxkMr2gW4R2.99

16. Cottager58

Fulham 1 Manchester United 4 (U18s)

Again an inexperienced side fielded but no specific details available from the Club.

Fulham scorer: Aaron Redford

I've mentined Aaron and his goal scoring a couple of times in earlier posts. With others probably getting a leg up next season he'll get more of a run in the U18s and I'm sure many more goals. Definitely one to watch.

17. Cottager58

The low down on Monday's U18 squad by the Captain:

[video=youtube;e9-q2O8XixU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e9-q2O8XixU[/video]

18. FulhamIreland

FulhamIreland Well-Known Member

Strange to see an U18 player with a fully grown beard. I still struggle to grow one.

19. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

I had a mate like that at school. At 15 he needed to shave twice a day or he looked like Fred Flintstone come five o'clock

20. Captain Morgan

One of my mates was asked to shave his beard off at the start of sixth form, because some of his teachers were jealous that they couldn't grow one yet.