1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer thread for 2016-17 season

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Sos, Stats are fine to use mate, I'm certainly not one that's going to turn into the stat police! <laugh>
    It's probably fair to say that their stats are pretty similar when taking game time into consideration. But again, it just comes down to what I've seen of Chadli in the past (when he was getting more game time) and that is how he goes missing over longer periods. From what I've seen of Schurrle, he's just a better footballer, to be honest. More of a footballing brain and just has that something about him that will be more beneficial to use over the course of a game.

I'm sure Chadli has had his moments like you mention, but now that we're going into the champions league, we need to upgrade, IMO.

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Haha yeah I'm not all about stats but I do think certain ones can tell a bit about a player and how it helps define the sort of level they're at and from the ones I mentioned there just doesn't seem to be a great deal between the two.

The last comment is fair but then is Schurrle really the upgrade we'd want/ need? I think speed is literally the only real defining difference between the two, if we're upgrading Chadli I'd rather go for a much better player, not one who I think is only really debatably better.

To be honest, sods law Schurrle will join and bang in 20 goals and make me look like a clueless prick, not that I'd complain on that matter though <laugh>.

3. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

This conversation about Schurrle has only come about because we were linked to him. I wouldn't necessarily choose him as an upgrade, but I personally feel he's a much better player, regardless of goals and assists. If I had the choice, I'd probably pick messi. <whistle>

4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

A few Spurs-relevant headlines from the last few days:
    * Spurs have placed a £10m value on Bentaleb
    * Mehmet Topal has agreed a deal in principal to join...which doesn't sound like he's waiting for other offers, honest
    * Axel Witsel has suddenly decided that he actually likes Saint Petersburg and wants to stay with Zenit after all

5. humanbeingincroydon

A few more random headlines from the past few days
    * When pressed about rumours of a move to Spurs, Lille attacking midfielder Sofiane Boufal said he may be leaving this summer
    * That old tabloid standard of the "double deal" is back in play, with us linked to Lyon pair Alexandre Lacazette and Samuel Umtiti
    * We're now the front-runners to sign Batshuayi, although this will probably change in seven days time...and seven days after that...and seven days after that...
    * We've been given a deadline of April 30th to meet Bernd Leno's £12.5m release clause, because our squad doesn't have a top class goalkeeper
    * Columbian sources say we're looking to sign Sporting Gijon centre back Bernado Espinosa on a free - even though he's out with a knee injury until mid-August

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

If we want a centre back who can't play then Sakho from Liverpool will be pretty cheap.

Speculation that Christian Eriksen isn't signing a new contract until Mauricio Pochettino signs his and the same goes for Hugo and Super Jan. Bill Nick as the obvious exception, have we ever had a manager that engenders this loyalty? Not in my opinion. Will we ever see another? Possibly, not. Please Mr Lewis, give Mauricio what he needs!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  7. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Keithy ??

8. "Thanks for that Brian"

I don't know enough of what went on in 84. It seemed a fairly seemless handover to Peter Shreeves but Keith and Peter have no issues between them and maybe Keith told the players to back Peter?

Certainly Stevie P went to the Directors in '77 to say he should stay. So, maybe yes?

9. humanbeingincroydon

Considering how Hugo was refusing to commit his future to the club until after he was ushered out the door, does this mean Sherwood is Poch's karmic opposite?

10. "Thanks for that Brian"

Maybe enduring Ramos, Christian Gross, Gerry Francis, The Bloke With The Coat, Tim Sherwood, AVB and Santini was worthwhile?

Nah, nothing's worth that bar winning 5 back-to-back Champions' League Trebles.

11. The RDBD

Keithy and Shreeves were a combo for several years, so as far as on-pitch matters
    went they were no doubt of one mind (which would explain the seamless nature of 1984-85) .

12. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I see your manager is pitching for the PSG job. Levy will be happy, the 5m release clause will bring in a bit of extra income.

13. The RDBD

[Big Ern, post: 9182362, member: 1002699"]

please log in to view this image

14. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

the words have come out of his own mouth

15. "Thanks for that Brian"

Whereas your twisting of them comes from an entirely different orifice?

16. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Eriksen agrees a new 4yr deal, reportedly. But won't put pen to paper until M.P. Commits. Again reportedly.

17. The RDBD

Not very enamoured of the French league is he (winning the CL is the only credible
    measure of success PSG currently have) .

18. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

There is no French league as such. Just PSG and the also rans.

Roo likes this.
  19. The RDBD

Still, you cannot fault PSG for the way they built up to that position with a combo
    of academy + good managers + shrewd financial management.

If only other clubs could implement that model.

NSIS likes this.
  20. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

<laugh>. Yep, that's one way of looking at it.,...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.