1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer thread for 2016-17 season

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd say that Coutinho would be even less likely, but I don't think that either's a possibility.
    I don't think that NSIS was actually suggesting it, either. "Someone like..." doesn't actually mean those players.

3. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I'd love to see Zlatan at the Lane. Such a legend but completely out of our wage bracket and far too old. There will be plenty of strikers available next season for relative peanuts. If Newcastle drop, I think we should take a proper look at Mitrovic. He was superb at Anderlecht and has been disadvantaged by playing his first PL season at a completely dysfunctional club. He'd be available pretty cheaply.

Moussa Dembele is finishing the season strongly at Fulham, who now look to finally be safe from the drop after 3 straight wins. The headline winner over there remains Ross McCormack, who is worth every penny of the £11m they forked out for him. Dembele's contract ends in June and not many people highlighted this, but shortly after the January window closed he rejected a new contract offer from Fulham that would've made him one of their highest earners - so his mind is clearly made up to leave in the summer. He'd be available for something like a £400k compensation fee to Fulham for his development. Well worth the gamble at his age and at that price.

Would love to see Jermain back at the club in addition to one of the two above. In general, I see absolutely no need or sense in us splashing massive cash this summer. I would much rather the funds be diverted to the stadium and to fund a new wage structure so that keeping hold of our star players will be significantly easier.

Cover at CB, DM and ST is all we are urgently in need of - none of those should cost a fortune. Pritchard coming back gives us more options for the '3'. I think Son and Clinton need a full pre-season to settle properly and then we'll see what they're made of next year.

4. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Don't kid yourself. I doubt we're that interested. However, if one of the really big boys comes knocking, he'll be off...

5. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No doubt about it in my eyes. I think we'll get a bid north of 35m for one of the European giants and he'll be gone. Perhaps not this summer, but it's coming.

I'm just saying that you're not one of the "big boys" nor can I see you spending the pound notes required.

6. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I would like us to get Dembele from Fulham. ..young and hungry and willing to learn.

I wasn't very keen on Berahino (after his strop and poor season) but think he will have a big point to prove so can see the logic in buying him as he could be willing to work hard and he has got talent...my reservation is that I can see him having his head turned when the inevitable stories of interest from United, City, Chelsea, RM etc. find there way onto the back pages.

We need cover for Dembele and Dier but kind of hope Bentaleb might get his head down and , in pre season, show the same attitude he did when he first broke into the team.

The only player we need to sell is Fazio imo but can possibly see Carroll leaveing to get 1st team football

7. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

If we could grab any one Leicester player, for me it would be Kante. Yeah. I know. Not going to happen. If Wanyama is a no go, Kante is who I'd want above any for that position. Great player. I agree Mitrovic could be interesting under Pochettino. I think he'd make great Kane cover. I'd also like to see Berahinho come in. Add Dembele and we'd be set for strikers and able to compete on multiple fronts.

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

In terms of the strikers we're linked with, I'll break it down something like this

Michy Batshuayi (Marseilles)
    Pros: impressive goalscoring form; Belgian; club have monitored him for at least three years
    Cons: Marseilles are looking to cash in to the tune of around £25m; balancing Kane and Batshuayi sounds a lot like the Berbatov/Keane/Defoe/Bent headache
    Likelihood of signing: 15%

Saido Berahino (Kvetch Bromwich Albion)
    Pros: has a partnership with Kane from the England U21s; can play up front or on the wing; KBA may be willing to let him go this summer
    Cons: rather than prove his worth this season (like Modric when we didn't sell him to the Chavs) he's sulked and looked half the player we bid for
    Likelihood of signing: 40%

Domenico Berardi (Sassulo)
    Pros: consistent goalscoring record; several years of first team experience despite being 21; can play up front or on the wings
    Cons: Sassulo will expect £20m for him
    Likelihood of signing: 20%

Anwar El Ghazi (Ajax)
    Pros: respectable goalscoring record; can play up front or on the wing; a £10m fee certainly fits in our usual transfer model
    Cons: scoring regularly in the Eredivisie (especially for the big three) does not automatically mean he'll score in the Premier League
    Likelihood of signing: 60%

Moussa Dembele (Fulham)
    Pros: having a breakthrough season for Fulham; fee will be considerably less than any other player; can play up front or on the wing
    Cons: several other clubs have been sniffing around since the January window slammed shut
    Likelihood of signing: 60%

Sebastien Haller (Utrecht)
    Pros: impressive goalscoring form; £8m fee certainly fits in with our model
    Cons: scoring a bunch in Belgium doesn't mean he'll score a bunch in the Premier League
    Likelihood of signing: 50%

Ousmane Dembele (Rennes)
    Pros: impressive goalscoring form; can play across attack and midfield; we will have a team of Dembeles - literally
    Cons: looks set to be at the centre of a transfer auction this summer, with Bayern leading the charge; has spoken badly of Spurs recently
    Likelihood of signing: 30%

Jonathan Calleri (Boca Juniors)
    Pros: looks like a potential star; fee will likely be around £6-8m; can play up front or on the wing
    Cons: any transfer will involve having to negotiate with third parties

Sandro Ramirez (Barcelona)
    Pros: seems to be looking for regular football; can play up front or on the wings
    Cons: Barca would add a buyback clause in any deal; Barca starlets don't always like up to their billing

9. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

How do buy back clauses work?

10. humanbeingincroydon

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Haller would be my choice from HBIC's list (though Utrecht is in Holland mate <laugh>). He's got all the attributes you'd want in a striker - tall, quick, good finisher and good mover off the ball. Me and CK spoke about him in the January window so he's someone I've kept an eye on for a bit, think he'd fit in here.

12. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Is Fulham Dembele still a possibility ??
    If Spurs have guaranteed CL group stage football next season, there must a good chance
    of signing him.

13. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I think we'll spend a decent amount on 2 strikers. Dembele MK II seems a likely addition given that he was on his way here a few months ago. However, if money turns his head then we won't compete at the right kind of level for a 19 year old - start paying teenagers who've achieved nothing £40k per week and you become Arsenal and get Jack Wilshere clones. I'd make Calleri a stronger candidate. He's just our sort of prospect and with Poch and Lamela already here he'd have a great support network. Third party ownership is difficult but we must have overcome it before?

As for the no 1 prospect, I think we've money saved to spend big on the right player. I think it's probably going to be Batshuayi.

I've read that Poch is desperately keen to do our business before the Euros. No matter who we get in, learning that lesson would be such a bonus.

The Changing Man likes this.
  14. The RDBD

The moment Spurs have guaranteed CL group stage football, I can see the incomings
    activity starting immediately.

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I'd rather the big money go on Berahino, someone who knows the league and will guarantee goals, has a proven track record alongside Kane when they played in the U21s and can be used as a wide forward too.

16. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

It's true. SOS and I regularly speak about transfer ideas. On here, we are SOS and CK. But our friends know us as Levy and Lewis.

Dier Hard likes this.
  17. The RDBD

Donald J Trump can confirm that the RDBD has never been known as "SOS" or "CK" .

18. humanbeingincroydon

19. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I know that people have said that Dembele can play everywhere, but I'm not sure that's exactly what they meant.

:emoticon-0159-music We all dream of a team of Dembeles, a team of Dembeles, a team of Dembeles :emoticon-0159-music

20. humanbeingincroydon

I knew I should've bumped him up to 40%...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.