1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer thread for 2016-17 season

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

His real name is Armindo Tué Na Bangna, so he's covered in that respect.
    One thing I've seen written a few times about Brandt is that he doesn't put any work in when the team doesn't have the ball, which certainly doesn't fit in with Poch's system - something reliably demonstrated when Chadli was strolling about the pitch while the rest of the team were trying to regain possession.

It seems that German attacking midfielders have it hard coded into their DNA that defending is what someone else should be doing: Ozil is rightly getting called for it at the moment, and the exact same accusations can be leveled at Muller, Gotze, Reus, Draxler and Max Meyer - while the only German attacking midfielder I can think of who actually does put in a shift when the team doesn't have the ball is the one we sold two years ago!

2. We'll never hear the end of it from that BL Muppet who plagued us about Brandt earlier in the season!!

Roo likes this.
  3. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Wasn't he the one that bellend Bayer fan who set up camp on here was going on about? Seemed convinced he'd be off to Bayern to replace Robben. I'd piss myself laughing if we signed him!

At the same time, it does seem to be much of a muchness with what we already have. If he's not yet good enough to be starting regularly in Germany, he falls firmly in the category of 'promising youngster'. As I argued earlier - we have more than
    enough of them already on our books. Shelling out January VAT on another player who may or may not be the next Bale seems clumsy imho. It's proven talent or put the money in the kitty until after we've won the league/cup double ;)

Roo likes this.
  4. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Bit harsh on muller. Admittedly few times i've seen him recently he's been a bit more lazy but that guy doesn't stop running from most of the matches i've seen!

5. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any knowledge of domestic/European/Rest of world players who fit the mould of a Coutinho/Hazard/Sanchez type, who we really should be looking at? Many of us have spoken about potentially needing 1 or 2 attacking players, and certainly one who can make a real difference and bring something new to midfield.
    But realistically, what names are there out there? It doesn't necessarily have to be someone who is going to cost £40m (although probably likely they will). Are there more Dele's out there? or another VDV? Or is it literally Isco or no one?

6. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Brandt has two years left on his deal come the summer, so he's probably in negotiations with Leverkusen now.
    Bayern interest might be a bit much, but Spurs would be both realistic and enough of a push to the club.
    The open transfer window is the right time for it, too.

I expect this is a bit of a prompt from his agent/s.

7. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Not our transfer business, but Leicester have signed Wilfred Ndidi from Genk for £14m, apparently. He's a young DM or CB. (perhaps bought in to replace Kante, finally?) Anyway, I don't actually give a toss, but I thought it was relevant as we're playing Genk in the EL and it's one player they will no longer have. <ok>

8. Citizen Kane

We're playing Gent.

Bloody annoying, I know.

9. humanbeingincroydon

The majority of the players we're linked with are "next Allis", Ryan Sessegnon, Leo Da Silva Lopes, Jean-Kévin Augustin or Jacob Murphy - but it has to be said none of them would immediately go into our side.

Max Meyer's name has come up a bit recently, and he's not an unrealistic target as he's in the last eighteen months of his contract and stalling on a new one, meaning Schalke would be less inclined to argue if we met his £22m release clause...although as I mentioned above he's hardly Gennaro Gattuso when we don't have the ball.

Ante Coric is the other obvious name, given Dinamo Zagreb have said he can leave and it would cost a very affordable £15m, and he'd be a good January signing partly as he's the sort of playmaker we were crying out for when Eriksen was off the boil, while signing him now means we can spend more time building up his strength than if we signed him in the summer, something which is important given his diminutive stature.

Roo likes this.
  10. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Oh, so not only have I got the wrong club, but I've just learned that there's 2 teams in the Belgian league who almost have the same name. <laugh>

Forget my last post!

11. Citizen Kane

Regular transfer window target Axel Witsel becomes the latest player at the supposed peak of his career to jump aboard the gravy train and move to China. He will reportedly be earning just over £15m per year playing for Tianjin Quanjian. No, I've never heard of them either.

12. humanbeingincroydon

I genuinely don't get this, considering he was set to join Juventus in the summer only for Zenit to not bother faxing the paperwork to keep hold of him. You'd think that, with just six months left on his Zenit contract, somebody would've come in.

13. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

He was due to sign for Juventus in the summer, too. Would've earned something like half as much, IIRC.
    He'll now be coached by Fabio Cannavaro and play alongside Jadson and Geuvanio.
    They sound like fake names made up by a Random Brazilian Football Name Generator, but are apparently real players.

14. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Definitely not Tianjin Teda?! don't make the same mistake I did!! <laugh>

15. humanbeingincroydon

Jadson is definitely real - his goal put Shakhtar 2-0 up against us in the UEFA Cup back in 2009.

16. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I'd blanked that out. Thanks. <grr>
    He also got the assist for their first goal.

17. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

As if you remember that, lol, HB.

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Wouldn't list Coutinho with the likes of Hazard and Sanchez to be honest mate, he's no better than Eriksen. He just gets more hype because he plays for Pool. That's not saying I wouldn't take a player like him at the club but I wouldn't stick him in that bracket with those two, who I feel are a level above the rest of AM's with perhaps de Bruyne too.

I think unless we were to unearth another Dele, then Isco is probably the only available top class option out there who we could possibly bring in that's of the level to say he goes straight into the XI.

However, seeing as the form of our AM's has now rapidly improved back to the levels we know they can reach, with Eriksen & Alli killing it, Son still popping up with goals, Sissoko getting three assists in his last five games and generally looking like a good footballer, we're not really crying out for another option now as we were a few weeks back, which is nice. Plus we still have Lamela to return so that's a massive bonus and perhaps the club could announce GKN's signing, would love to see him in a Spurs shirt! <laugh>

If we can bring in a top class player in Isco's mould then of course I'd be all for it but if we're looking at just "an option", then I really don't see the point, our options are looking very healthy right now.

19. Spammers have allegedly had a bid for JD rejected by Sunderland.
    Got to worth a punt:
    a) he's a Spur through & through and he could still do a job for us and
    b) just to put one over the HMRC stadium rabble! <laugh>

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I can't see Sunderland selling him to anyone in this transfer window. They'd have to be mad.
    He does supposedly have a relegation release clause though, so picking him up for nothing in the summer could be an option.
    Not really Levy's style because of his age, but for free? Maybe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.