1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer rumours ............

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by frogman27, May 20, 2011.

1. rocky57

rocky57 Member

I know, it's an awful condition, gets worse as it advances.

2. Penguin

Penguin Member

Apologies for joining the debate late but I can confirm that Larsson appears to be a good player and potentially a good signing. I must admit this is purely based on having had him in my fantasy team for the latter part of the season and I know that's not much of a method for deciding whether a player's worth having or not (and is hopefully not the one MH uses!) but he certainly scored me a fair few points.

I'd also agree that Warnock looks good (I didn't have him in my team!). Other than that the problem seems to be that the people we'd like are too expensive and the people who would be cheap are cheap for a reason.

3. frogman27

frogman27 Member

Evening all,

Demps I totally agree with what you have said about Dempsey. I think you highlighted one of his biggest strengths in that he does not get injured very often. If, and it is a big if, we were to get offered 10 million it would be very hard to refuse. However, he is 28 years old and in his prime. I would be gutted if we loose either him, Brede or Bobby or Danny Murphy ( retirement ). These guys are the true quality we have in our team and are capable on their days of transforming games into our favour. For me we have quite a few slightly better than average players who I would like to see go first. Val, any idea if the squad reduction is due to replacements coming in or getting the wages down?

4. frogman27

frogman27 Member

Forgot to mention, I agree that Greening has been fantastic since getting a few games. Apparently he is the most under rated player in training. Does anyone know when his contract is up, is it this summer ? I hope not, be good to see him play more often.

5. rocky57

rocky57 Member

One of the skills of a good manager is finding the right player for a team and the style of play, for example Cantona at Man U. Roy was very skilled at that; they weren't just bargain players like Hangeland but they were the right players. Opinion seems divided here as to whether MH has a similar facility, but I'm inclined to go with the commodore based on his record at Blackburn - Man City is now a club that is outside the normal parameters.

Therefore I'm not so worried Penguin "the people we'd like are too expensive and the people who would be cheap are cheap for a reason. " It's a matter of knowing what your requirements and budget is and finding the right players - it's a world market now although of course you can never be sure how an overseas player will settle in. It's obviously likely to be easier for Europeans such as Dembele, although we have been disappointed by Salcido who came from a Dutch club before Fulham.

6. Penguin

Penguin Member

Rocky, I agree with you and finding good players who fit into your budget is definitely part of being a good manager. Sidwell is another good example of this - low price, high quality, has fitted in very well.

I was mainly referring to the names which we're being linked with in the press, some of which are mentioned in this thread. Players like Scott Parker and Charlie Adam are very good (although whether they'd be a good fit is a different matter) but I very much doubt they'll be coming to Fulham. Some of the others, Campbell for example, might be affordable but don't provoke a good reaction. Some, of course, and I agree with others that Cole is one of these, are both too expensive and not good enough.

7. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

Didn't rate Greening at all till this season, to be honest thought that he was pretty crap. But then, what do I know!!! He trully has been great when playing recently, and what frogman says about him in traing shows hes perhaps not overperforming. Disagree that Hughes has got no scouting talent- Believe that Dembele was a great signing, and hopefully has got a great future here. Salcido was a flop, to say the least, but no one would have thought he would be this diabolical after good reports from abroad and a great world cup. Your gonna get ones like him every so often. Hodgson wasn't completely clean on this front; he signed David Elm for £500'000 at the age of 25, and unsuprisingly he left the next year after one substitute appearance against Birmingham (we won 2-1 thanks to a Zamora free kick, saving Baird from disgrace after a terrible own goal). He was trully terrible.

8. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

If we follow Penguin's rule of good in a fantasy team then Varney of Blackpool would be a good full back. He got me quite a few points. Noticed that on the Guardian website the flop of the year was Joe Cole followed by Frankie Towers. Seeing as Cole was free and Frankie cost £50 million Frankie was judged the bigger flop - however, my point is we should avoid Cole like the plague. Likewise Barton now Newcastle have let him loose on the community.

Scott Dann would be an excellent signing - was absolutely formidable last season and this up until his injury since when the Blues sunk without trace.

9. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Take your point penguin, and I am not a big fan of Campbell myself, and as for Joe Cole, well nothing more needs to be said. Parker does look to be heading for Spurs, and Adam, not sure. I'm just not in touch with the British based players let alone overseas, so I put my faith in the management to find the right material.

We should remember that Greening was a United player once, so it looks as if he's revealing some quality. I'm all for it.

10. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

I had forgotten that Rocky. Did a double take on that. He's even got a Champions League Winners medal.

11. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I thought I remembered Elm scoring - a quick look on Wiki shows he made a total of 10 appearances with a goal and an assist. Agreed though, we've certainly not missed him.

12. frogman27

frogman27 Member

I cannot help but feel that our transfer policy will be dependent on whether we get into Europe. If we are to start the qualifying rounds in the beginning of July then we will have to keep hold of the main core of the team. However, if we do not get a European spot then a rebuild of the whole squad may begin in earnest.

As for a mention on players that did not quite make it down at the Cottage, how about this mystery player from the past, arguable one of the least used players ever at Fulham and rightfully so, although I might not tell him to his face ...........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ch-charged-gun-drugs-offences-Australia.html?

13. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

<yikes>

On the original subject, what do we think about Obinna and Ba from West Ham? I recall them both having a few superb games each. Would they be worth looking at? I do remember Ba having a knee problem of some sort, come to think of it, which isn't encouraging....

14. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

I wasn't aware we had been linked with Hitzlesperger, I rate him very highly, his long range shots and free kicks are a thing of beauty. They don't call him The Hammer for nothing. Was superb for Villa and shone in an underachieving Wet Spam team.

Joe Cole? No ta.

15. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

Bidley- sorry, my mistake. He was so awful I must have blocked him rom my memory!

16. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

No worries mate, I remember really wanting him to do well so we'd have another fit and reliable striker on the books. Never mind, eh.

I'd be up for giving Joe Cole a go if Roy was still in charge. If he could work the same magic he worked with Baird, Bobby, Duff etc Cole would've worked out.

17. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Cole's wages would also be extortionate, plus he's surely in his 30's by now? We also have an abundance of wide players at the moment. I'd go out on a limb by saying all Duff, Dempsey and Davies are all better options.

18. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I agree with Bandy. Bidley's statement about Cole and Roy is exactly what I thought when Cole joined Liverpool, and that hardly worked out well for anyone. The only way it would be worth taking Cole is on a loan with an option to buy, and even then only if we aren't getting stung with the kind of wages he would probably expect. If he can get his mojo working again, he could play a central playmaker's role for us, but that's a big if. And signing him would go against everything I've been banging on about concerning rejuvinating the team. As much as I've enjoyed Joe Cole over the years, sadly, I think he's a busted flush.

19. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I thought he was ideal for the Liverpool job. Bunch of players that were talented but just weren't playing well. Like you said, that hardly worked out at all. Yet, look at what he's done at West Brom!

20. valjing

valjing Member

I see in todays reports Demba Ba may be moving on, I think he would be a good signing for Fulham.
    The plus side we know he can hack it in the premiership,an would be a good foil and provider for BZ,
    Some say the down side is injuries,but there again no more than some of our players.
    and he definitely contribute much more than Johnson does.