1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Transfer Rumours thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Bozz, Jun 17, 2011.

1. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Transfer league has him marked at 40m. Oh well who cares.

Point was all them players were around the 30m mark, unproven or from a foreign league and no where near as good and dominant as VVD and before the new prem league money.

If you think you are picking VVD up for less than 35 i think you are dreaming

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

For me we buy a center back a left back a midfielder and a striker and not one of them should be a kid with potential. If we buy quality then that's our transfer budget gone.

3. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Exactly - we need to be buying more than one defender this summer.

4. saintKlopp

I'm not denying that we need better players, but there's still a bigger picture to all of this.
    Look at the teams we struggle against and why. They all defend better than us - does that mean that their players are all better than ours?
    Of course not. It's down to a couple of things - they are better organised, which is something that we could improve on, but also they are more used to playing that sort of game, something which we shouldn't aspire to.
    There's a reason why the Pulises and Pardews of this world are at the level they're at.
    We will always spend most of the time (in most games) in the opposition half but we're a soft touch when it comes to breakaways and set pieces. The latter has improved a bit, but still has a way to go.
    We've been like this for many years and under several managers now. I don't pretend to know what the answer is, but it isn't just Virgil van Dijk.

5. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

^^
    this - though as i pointed out on the Palace matchday thread there is a system fault with our defending at the very least we play a system to which our present players are unsuited which will leave them vulnerable whatever there standard.

6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

We need a DM & LB more than a CB

7. Jimmy Squarefoot

It's easier to defend when you have two banks of 4 and not expecting to push out.

And let's be honest, we make it very easy to defend against.

We need defenders who suit our style - ie who are comfortable on the ball, can play a high line and are fast.

The team as a whole are defending a lot better because we don't concede that many shots - we concede goals so many because we gift such easy chances due to errors. These errors are individual errors and not down to the system IMO.

8. Jimmy Squarefoot

I thinK LB and CB are more important because our midfield does a decent enough job protecting the back 4. We do need a better MF More for dictating tempo and creating more when we have possession.

But without a better LB and CB's, we will continue to concede stupid goals like we saw at palace - and these goals are a regular occurrence. Teams don't have to work hard to score past us.

9. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

But it's quite clear we have plenty of money to spend.

Kopp hasn't been given a penny yet. Seriously time the owners back him.

I don't get to games these days so it's not my money. We're too tight to be a top 4 club as things stand.

All opinion of course

10. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I agree with that, if people just concentrated and did their job we'd concede less, I'm not seeing a problem with the system.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.

11. Jimmy Squarefoot

It's an aggressive and demanding system and we just need to find the right players to suit it. And I'm sure Klopp will.

luvgonzo likes this.
  12. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

We should have a certain amount incoming aswell, so its time for FSG to spend some serious cash

luvgonzo likes this.
  13. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

disagree with the MF giving good cover to the defence far too often we just get run thru straight t the heart of the defence.
    Don't know about a better LB - just having a LB would be a start.

I think Milner in particular is knackered both physically & mentally as he hasn't played 90 mins week in week out and it is noticeable how is performance has dropped though there was always an element of the talking dog about them.

14. Jimmy Squarefoot

The MF isn't perfect and could definitely do better - but as a team, we are defending better by preventing the number of shots and chances. The biggest issue we have is that from the limited chances we concede, these are mostly high quality clear cut chances.

I don't agree that teams play through us - I think they tend to play it long down our left channel and they're inz

15. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Don't agree about them protecting the back line enough but lets go with that theory for now...

Doesn't them (the middle trio) concentrating on defensive duties restrict their offensive duties? Having a recognised DM allows the other two that little bit more freedom to join the attacks. It also allows FBs a bit more freedom.

I know you don't like our rate him but I also think a DM would bring the best out of Lovren too. He was great at Southampton because there was a shield (granted there were two of them as well) in front which meant he only has to step out occasionally rather that continously like he does for us. The last line of defence shouldn't be taking those gambles.

I don't really mind Milner at LB either. Sure, he has his faults and he could be improved on but we need a squad. Moreno may as well be with Studge and Sakho imo

16. FedLadSonOfAnfield

RE 'kids with potential'

We already have a few of those ...

They're called Woodburn, Alexander-Arnold, Origi, Grujic, Gomez, Ojo (ok 'kid' is stretching it with a couple but ya feel me)

That's more than enough, the best teams only have a couple around the first team squad anyways i.e. the most promising ones. So we don't need to buy anymore 'kids with potential', we need 'men with ambition and cojones'

Skylarker likes this.
  17. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

The thing is, if we don't have the right players now....why are we playing it? 1-0 up against Palace in a must win game and the drawbridge should have been raised.

Solid_Air 2 and Jimmy Squarefoot like this.
  18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Maybe we don't have players for the drawbridge approach?

19. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

I never said would pick him up for that. Need to go back read the points we were discussing.

Zanjinho likes this.
  20. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Stop bullying BobbyD, it's not a fair fight anymore...

InBiscanWeTrust likes this.