1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Transfer Rumours thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Bozz, Jun 17, 2011.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I agree and as long as they accept that we'll be fine as we'll have a strong bench, if they want to move on we have to replace them which isn't easy.

2. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Exactly my thoughts. Far too many fans like to think they know what we should and shouldn't be paying, and the reasons why.

**** that if we're going to compete we need to buy who we want for what they're selling for.

50mil for VVD for example is absolutely fine. Just get him, we need him badly.

Zingy likes this.
  3. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Even if that's our entire budget? So no other players?

saintKlopp likes this.
  4. LuisDiazgamechanger

Building your team from the back: Klopp have to build the team from the back next season, we are scoring goals only need to shut the back doors.
    We have conceded too many soft goals to my likening this season. Improve the back and midfield problems more than half solved.

5. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Those 3 players should just be grateful that they would be in a challenging a team and earning what they are. They won't go anywhere bigger than Liverpool.

Lovren - I would bin and not even keep as a squad player because he will make mistakes every game and cost us goals and points. Not to mention the fact that he picks up injuries as well and is a bottler.

Milner - solid utility player who I wouldn't mind keeping just as long as he's 2/3rd choice for the position. And in his defence, he's not a bottler which I do like about him. But then again, he's on £120k plus as week so may be better getting rid.

Henderson - another solid MF option who should be a back up. But he's not a leader and he's not worth £100k a week (although that does seem to be norm). I actually would be ruthless and get rid of him because he has an incurable injury which means he loses his one good attribute which is his athleticism. Another bottler.

In summary - I wouldn't mind keeping Hendo and Milner as squad options but they're both losing their legs, notngood enough for first team and on big wages. There is no business case to keep Lovren, whatsoever.

6. Jimmy Squarefoot

I doubt we will spend £50m on VVD if it meant that we can't spend as much in other areas. This is a priority position so I'll be happy that we're spending a bulk of money there.

We must remember that we will be selling the likes of Moreno Sakho markovic Sturridge etc and we will raise around £50m in sales alone.

7. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Agreed. Be happy with VVD and R Sessegnon on the left side of our defence. Even if Sess isn't the finished article, he's got a lot of good press down here.

8. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

So lets say I agree, it would mean possibly getting rid of and replacing all 3 plus we need a striker. Is this massive rotation of players the way forward as I'm thinking this is what we always do?

9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Hendo and Lovren have missed a lot of games. Milner is targeted every game. Not massive IMO.

But all in all, Klopp only trusts a handful of players in this team. We need to buy quite a few this summer.

10. Jimmy Squarefoot

Ryan Sess looks a big talent but if he's the number 1 target, then I'm guessing we have another year of Milner at LB and we can kiss top 4 bye bye next season as well.

11. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

So like I said, apart from stones and Luiz no defender has cost more than £30m (ok mustafi was £5m more). Mangala was £30m btw Not £40m.

Thanks for helping prove my point Bobby <ok>

Zanjinho likes this.
  12. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I agree we do need to buy but don't want us to also have to buy squad players, or not too many at least.

13. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

VvD alone won't solve our problems at the back alone. Indeed no amount of spending on the defence will.

1. Even the best players, when poorly coached, will concede. We have a problem at set pieces that must stem from how we coach defensively. VvD size will help....but it's more than that.

2. Losing the ball in midfield. How many times has our defence been dropped into the more by a sloppy, unnecessary pass in the midfield? VvD has pace which might help save a couple of goals but it won't fix everything.

3. Whether we like it or not, we play an open expansive game. We rarely, if ever, play with a properly protected back 4. We have come unstuck on the break from attacking positions regularly. This problem is about tactics and philosophy. I don't see Klopp changing his philosophy anytime soon so we will always be susceptible on the counter. VvD's pace might help us here but it won't stop a good counter.

Conclusion: VvD would improve our defence.....no shock there....but it won't get to the root cause of our problems.

Not conceding has to be our staring point if we want to win titles. There is so much evidence of this that if Klopp doesn't embrace a more balanced approach, then he needs his head testing. I love the bloke and think he's great.....and, frankly, the fact that we still have a chance of top 4 with the dross he inherited speaks volumes....but even when he has better players, he will still need clean sheets. FACT!! (Congrats Rafa btw - the last manager we had who valued a clean sheet! <ok>)

Solid_Air 2 and Jimmy Squarefoot like this.
  14. saintKlopp

That cuts both ways. It applies equally to those who think we should be paying that sort of money for VVD to those who don't.
    It's not absolutely fine if it means we are unable to buy the right players to strengthen elsewhere.
    Van Dijk might improve us, but he's no saviour, and that fee is way over-inflated.

InBiscanWeTrust likes this.
  15. Jimmy Squarefoot

Good points - right now, our biggest issue is the personnel. Changing Milner and our LCB with faster players will be better suited to playing a high line.

Our midfield isn't great in possession - we need better ball players who can dribble and run with the ball. But they have a lack of outlets - there is no width and have to continuously play it square to our full backs who are useless going forward.

Personally - I think we need to bring in an entire back line because :

Milner is Milner who can't defend or attack, and our left side is now the biggest weakness (even more so than when Moreno was in). Milner is also too slow and can't use his left foot.

Lovren/Klavan/Lucas - simply not good enough or quick enough

Matip is inconsistent but still decent. However he's injury prone.

Clyne is a solid option but his all around defensive game is very limited. He's brilliant at stopping crosses and 1vs1 ground duels but he's terrible everywhere else. And his attacking is non existent.

All in all - we have 3 out of our starting back 4 who are either notn good defensively, not intelligent enough or too slow. People will focus on zonal marking being the issue but quite frankly - the players aren't clever enough.

100%, signing VVD won't fix our defence but it's a start. We need to upgrade the personnel before looking at the system.

16. Jimmy Squarefoot

I'm a fan of taking risks and buying young talent at good prices. But that's mainly because we can't attract the top tier of players so we need to be smarter.

But if there is a sniff of getting VVD, then we should go for him because he is the best centre back in the league. I don't mind overpaying for actual quality players. I thought we had overspent on Mane but that's a bargain now.

17. Jimmy Squarefoot

Oh and another thing - we really need to pay for players who will be playing a lot of games. Far too many injury prone players in our squad.

18. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I agree on the injury part but other than that he's class imo.

19. Jimmy Squarefoot

He had a good start to the season but he's been inconsistent since returning from injury. Still our best defender.

20. saintKlopp

Ok, but that depends on a number of things that aren't being taken into account. As Kenny says above, van Dijk on his own will not solve all our problems. The team needs to be looked at as a whole - especially the defending aspects -and improved in a way that no single addition can do. There seems to be an assumption that we have bottomless pockets when it comes to buying players but I'm not convinced.
    This all sounds like let's play Football Manager rather than the real world to me.

luvgonzo likes this.