1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham v Watford

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Apr 6, 2017.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v WATFORD
    Saturday 8th April 2017
    Venue: White Hart Lane
    Kick Off: 1230 BST

Tottenham will go in search of their sixth straight Premier League victory when they welcome Watford to White Hart Lane this weekend, and there is no question that another three points are required if Pochettino's side are to stand a chance of lifting the Premier League title this season.
    Spurs' title ambitions looked to be in tatters when they trailed into the final two minutes of their clash with Swansea City on Wednesday night, but the London side turned things around in the final moments to win 3-1.

It has been an up-and-down season for Watford, although back-to-back home wins has seen the Hornets ease fears that they would be dragged into a relegation battle in the final weeks of the campaign.
    Indeed, six points from their last two Premier League matches has seen Walter Mazzarri's side move into 10th position in the table, with 37 points leaving them nine points clear of the relegation zone. They are not quite safe at this stage, but it would take some collapse from this position to drop out of the division.

Tottenham Team News:

Hugo Lloris missed the 3-1 win over Swansea on Wednesday night through illness, but the Frenchman is expected to return to the XI this weekend, which will see Michel Vorm drop to the bench.

Netherlands international Vincent Janssen is also pushing for a starting role after impressing off the bench in Wales, which could see Moussa Sissoko dropped to the bench, and Son Heung-min moved into a wider position.

Harry Kane, Danny Rose, Erik Lamela, Harry Winks and Victor Wanyama remain on the sidelines, however, leaving Pochettino with few senior options when it comes to rotating his squad this weekend.

Watford Team News:

Miguel Britos will miss out after picking up a red card against West Brom on Tuesday night, which could see Craig Cathcart switch to central defence, allowing Daryl Janmaat to return at right-back.

Younes Kaboul, Valon Behrami and Ben Watson are still on the sidelines for the Hornets, but Mazzarri is hopeful that Sebastian Prodl will shake off the rib injury that he suffered against the Baggies last time out.

Head To Head

Saturday will be the 43rd meeting between the two teams in all competitions. It is Tottenham that lead the head-to-head 27 wins to Watford's seven, while the remaining eight fixtures have finished all square.

Tottenham have actually never lost in the Premier League against Watford, winning five of their seven encounters. Meanwhile, Watford have lost on their last six league visits to White Hart Lane since a 5-1 win in May 1985.

In terms of recent history, Tottenham recorded a 1-0 victory in the corresponding clash during the 2015-16 campaign, while Pochettino's side ran out 4-1 winners at Vicarage Road when the pair met on New Year's Day.

:emoticon-0100-smile WHEREVER YOU ARE IN THE WORLD-ENJOY THE GAME :emoticon-0100-smile

Mexican Hornet and Scullion like this.
  2. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I arrive in Fiji a few hours before kick-off. Hopefully I will be able to watch this in the hotel bar after the children have gone to bed.

A1 Horn likes this.
  3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I will wish you good luck Golden Boys, but I fear you will come second to this strong side!

Hope springs eternal! <cheers>

4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

That sounds delightful, football on a south seas island. I hope the result doesn't disappoint. <ok>

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

6. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

7. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Well I guess if we are going to have lots of injuries then its at Spurs where we would probably lose with a full team anyway.

Give others a chance to impress though (I know that didn't work against Millwall!)

8. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Well glad to say here in Cadiz (not quite as romantic as NZ's location :emoticon-0132-envy:) the game will be officially covered in the bar. There is one Spurs fan here but with my Madrid family down and a mate from Hampshire over I hope to at least drown him out with Watford cheers.

And after the game I'm off to Cadiz for some live action. A good old football Saturday :emoticon-0115-inlov

On the result I reckon we just might get something. No pressure, some players in good form, Lawro havingus down as losers, and football being football. I'll go 2-2. Enjoy wherever you are. C'mon u'orns. <cheers>

9. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Spurs will probably come next to last!:emoticon-0138-think<laugh>

canary-dave likes this.
  10. northofwatfordpete

Living and working Riyadh - Saturday is not a day of rest here - so will be relying on Not606 and the BBC live text while at work. No idea how we are going top cope with Spurs this afternoon and hard to see what sort of team we will put out. The players who have something to prove against Spurs are likely to be out or rested - still we are not expected to get anything so the pressure will be on Spurs - who knows what will happen!

Settle for a 2-2 draw and The Young Master to win at Aintree.

11. The Ginger Marks

Good luck today I can certainly see you boys getting something here.

12. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

Maybe we should get away from that 'free hit' mentality, but I guess there's nothing to lose here. Looks like a few more may be out so there will certainly be a new look to the defence. Kane may be back too. Let's go for it and say we can get a draw 2-2. COYH!

13. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Team: Gomes (GK) (c); Mariappa, Cathcart, Holebas; Janmaat, Cleverley, Doucouré, Amrabat; Niang, Okaka, Success

subs: Pantilimon (GK), Kabasele, Eleftheriou, Mason, Zúñiga, Capoue, Deeney.

Looks like Success is getting the start he craves...

3-4-3. Gulp...

14. A1 Horn

OMG! Success is starting! Okaka up front, Deeney on bench!? Mapps and Cathcart at the back.

15. Bolton's Boots

Strong looking midfield though.

16. Bolton's Boots

Spurs: Lloris, Trippier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Dembele, Son, Eriksen, Dele, Janssen.

subs: Lopez, Walker, Wimmer, Nkoudou, Sissoko, Wanyama, Kane.

At least we don't have to face Kane, for the whole match anyway.

17. A1 Horn

If you look at it, it's a fairly attacking line-up. All-or-nothing from WM?

18. A1 Horn

Souness talking bollox on Sky about how we're run etc.

19. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Afternoon all. Not expecting much here but wouldn't it me nice if MOTD spend 5 minutes analysing how we stopped Kane & Ali and ripped their defense apart.

20. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

According to the TSN the commentator says we have not a lot to play for? How about a point or 3?