1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Watford

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Talking of delusion PNP he thinks he has won the league already. <laugh>

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I hope Conte thinks that, too.

3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I think Conte has done a great job so far, but I watched us totally bamboozle them for 44 minutes and then I watched Stoke outplay them in periods too. He has done well so far but that's exactly half way, there is a very long way to go.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  4. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I suggest you look up the dictionary definition of 'delusional' then. Stoke or Bournemouth saying they've got a chance at the top 4 is by all means 'deluded'. Us or United saying it is called 'hopeful'. True, we don't have the same resources as the teams who you expect to comfortably finish above us, but our strongest XI is a match for anyone in the top 6 - yourselves included. Pochettino has spent much of this season developing a plan B (basically the same tactical approach as Conte uses for you), to complement our plan A and keep the opposition guessing. We've recently started to see him switch between the two plans mid-game. He is improving tactically as a manager, the players are improving technically and to be quite honest aside from Aguero, Hazard, Sanchez, Coutinho, Kante and De Bruyne I don't see anyone else from the other big teams seriously improving what we already have. That's 6 players out of 44...55 if you count United.

If we beat you, the title race is very much 'wide open'. Perhaps not for ourselves, but I'd expect Liverpool to beat Sunderland tomorrow. If we beat you and they win, they are just 3 points behind you and will have an almost equal GD. In what way does that not make the apparently foregone conclusion of a title race 'wide open'?

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Boooom! Started the new year as we finished the last.

Our last four performances have been nothing short of top drawer.

Considering we had to make a little reshuffle at the back, the defence with the exception of that last minute freekick were superb.

Trippier showed exactly why Walker is playing out of skin, because Kyle knows a bad performance or two and we have a great understudy ready to step in. Kane and Alli were immense but for Trippier to come into the side with barely any football behind him this season just shows the sort of professional he is and he's a credit to this squad. We've all known since he joined that he's our best crosser of the ball and he further proved it today, that cross for Kane's second was one of the best you'll ever see, Kane would lap them up all day long.

Big Kev also came in and done well, he was solid as expected and I'm sure those rumours of a loan move elsewhere are false, he's a young lad and smart enough to know that he'll get a good amount of game time here, he's also learning from two of the best in the game and has all the ingredients to become a first choice here in time to come.

Son done so much hard work, made great runs on and off the ball yet his final touch let him down, whether that be shooting or passing. He could easily have left Vicarage Road today with a couple goals and assists.

Eriksen dictated the game nicely, playing deeper like he did today means he won't be as much of a goal threat as he usually is but with Kane and Alli in this sort of form he doesn't need to be.

Didn't feel we missed Dembele who I've been disappointed with of late, though I hope this rest will allow him to be 100% for Chelsea.

Great result and performance, well done lads <ok>

COYS!

6. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

agreed completely. Your response is impressive.

I didn't mean title is ours - but it is Jose's. There shouldn't be any questions about it.

Citizen Kane likes this.
  7. RobSpur

RobSpur Well-Known Member

Does that happen to you a lot SL ?? <laugh>

Edit : this was meant in a nice way btw <whistle>

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  8. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Loads mate, lol...I ask for it admittedly.

9. Citizen Kane

Nah, the pundits have abandoned the Special Case in their droves and have already declared you lot as champions. What was it that muppet Savage came out with last week? 'Might as well give the title to Chelsea now'. <doh>. Truth be told, I have a lot of time for Conte - as a manager, tactician and as a person. Which is annoying as it makes it a bit harder to hate you. That and the fact that Terry isn't really playing anymore. I'm going soft in my old age.

StanDMan likes this.
  10. Citizen Kane

The only downside of beating Watford by such a margin is that West Ham now go above them on GD. Shame that.

11. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Every silver line has a cloud in it <laugh>

12. Citizen Kane

...a cloud funded by the taxpayer.

13. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

14. Citizen Kane

2,000 likes!

I would like to dedicate this happy and joyous occasion to my hero and inspiration, Mark Clattenburg. :emoticon-0139-bow:

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  15. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

From the away end at Watford today, it was not clear how great a goal Harry Kane's second goal was.

Having now seen it replayed on Sky, I would put that down to sheer class. When that ball leaves Trippiers foot, there are two defenders who you would bet on getting to the ball first. Kane shows Shearer like class to get between them and make it his. Great goal from a great player.

16. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Our GD is -12 now!

Just shows what our problem is - you are a top quality team who would have beaten us anyway without us handing you goals on a plate.

We have 11-12 injuries and each week somebody banned - if this was one of you top 6 boys the press would be asking serious questions about the medical and fitness levels at the club.

Anyway good luck - starting Wednesday as it would be nice to see a competitive title race being a neutral.

17. Citizen Kane

I'm sure the injuries aren't helping, but your problems definitely stretch back to our meeting this time last season. You'd gotten off to a superb first half of the season but following that 2-1 reverse courtesy of an offside Son goal late on, you only won 4 more games until the end of the season, picking up a total of 15 points from a possible 60. That is a horrendously bad return.

As for today, Kaboul and Capoue did their best to remind us why we sold them. Couldn't give a crap about the latter as he barely played for us but it is a real shame how the former's career has gone downhill so rapidly. He was on the brink of becoming one of the best CB's in the country before picking up a season-long injury. Hasn't been the same player since.

And I get what you say about fitness levels: a couple of your boys look as though they could shed a couple of pounds. Kaboul, Deeney and Prodl all look a bit podgy.

Markthehorn likes this.
  18. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

If there is one lesson to be taken from today then its to sort out the defending from them free kicks. That's today, Boro away and the Southampton game if I'm not mistaken where that whipped in cross has cost us.

19. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

And Everton first day of the season....

20. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Thought that was a direct free kick?