1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Swansea City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

It's a very distorted way of looking at football. Fair enough it's what you might chat about in the pub but the decision by the ref is not going to change is it. It's part of the game. It would make sense if a studio full of footballers talked about the football, which is their area of expertise rather than refs decisions which they know as little about as any fan.

2. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Another thing about the non-red was that they weren't penalised in any way but we were as we had to spend the next few minutes down to 10 men while they patched up Walker!

Amazing not to see that incident on MOTD. But no surprise they discuss the "cheating" penalty. How many other teams have we seen "win" penalties without half that "analysis"? Fans just watching MOTD will have no idea that Swansea should have been down to 10 in the 6th minute, and instead be sympathetic to them for the unfair penalty.

3. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Kyle Walker has evolved from error-prone buffoon to one of the best RB's in the world in the space of just over 2 seasons. What a player <applause>

4. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Compare Taylor's ''tackle'' with Aguero's..........

5. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

Am I right in thinking that as the ref took no action at all it can be reveiwed and a retrospective red card issued? (And if he'd given a yellow card, that would have had to stand?) Or have I got that wrong?

6. That's correct!

7. Yeah, well done, Poch!

8. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Standard fare, you can bet that had it been one of their darling clubs in Spurs` position, then their focus would have been quite different.

Hoddle is a god likes this.
  9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They didn't show it at all? That's disgraceful. It's an absolutely appalling decision.

Worst thing about the incident? The Swansea player appealing for the decision! <laugh>
    What the **** is he calling for?

Citizen Kane likes this.
  10. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

He was my default scapegoat every week. I'm glad he's sat his GCSEs in the last few years. His understanding of the game and positional play used to send me potty. Now he's looking focused. No coincidence he's had Toby next to him during most of that time. The guy is like Ledley for me. A leader of men..then again having Poch, a defender himself, as mentor, has probably been massive in this improvement.

The Changing Man likes this.

11. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Bit unfair IMHO.
    I agree he has had the fatal error in him per season over his Spurs career,
    but we are hardly talking Chiriches/Fazio level, are we.

12. The RDBD

The Narrative (TM) had been decided for this game by the hacks on 39 mins.

13. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I think you're confusing him for that other right back we signed from Sheffield United.

14. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

The BBC's match report
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38113782
    also doesn't mention the assault, and consequently almost all the comments are devoted to Alli's "dive". Funny how other teams dive all over the place all the time yet the BBC seems to have focused on Alli (as they previously did with Bale), ignoring other serial offenders. We are also in the position where, because it wasn't featured on the BBC anywhere, we have the rest of the sporting public completely unaware of the incident that should have had the Swans down to 10 in the 6th minute, and only concerned with the penalty.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  15. Citizen Kane

You must have been living in a cave for the duration of the 2013-14 season. The entire back 4 regularly produced scenes worthy of Laurel & Hardy.

16. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

That's the sort of thing that tends to happen when the ball boys are more likely to protect the back four than the nonsensical midfields that Tactics Tim was putting out.

The RDBD likes this.
  17. The RDBD

The Narrative (TM) this week for Spurs has been particularly interesting.

The Alli and Taylor incidents obviously. And then if you watch the pre-match
    press conference clip there was that utter plank-ton (WTF was he anyway ?? )
    wasting nearly half the time on the irrelevance that was the Kane contract signing.

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

What a way to shake off the disappointment from the Chelsea match.

Thought we were really good, helped by the fact Swansea were disastrous but nonetheless a very good performance by the lads. A note on Swansea, it's a little bit of a shame to see what was once a good footballing side in the Prem go to pot, they don't seem to have any clear style at the moment and they haven't replaced Ashley Williams, who's not only one of the best CB's in the Prem but was also a massive leader for the club, I think they're heading down unless a miracle happens.

How Taylor didn't get a red card for the WWE-style head kick I'll never know, the fact he didn't even get a yellow was a disgrace. You could argue though that we then got the rub of the green with the penalty, I sit near enough dead in line with where that incident happened and I initially thought penalty but having seen the replays this morning, it's a poor call and Dele has really conned the ref there. Dele must have been watching videos of Jamie Vardy because it's a trait he's well known for.

Those incidents aside, it was all about us and our good play. Absolute sublime strike from Son, just a few days after he wished me a happy birthday via video message he goes and does that, so I'd like to just say and claim that the goal was dedicated to me <laugh>.

Eriksen is finally looking like a footballer again, which is massive to our hopes of a top 4+ finish. When he's on form he makes the team tick in the attacking third.

Kane yet again showing just what we missed, it feels like I'm really digging Janssen but the gap in quality at the moment between the two strikers is astronomical. Our number 10 is without a doubt one of the best strikers in world football today.

MOTM was a tough one, Kane and Eriksen scored twice, Sonny scored a blinder as well as registering an assist, the CB's were solid but for me, Walker - for the umpteenth time - was sublime. You would've forgiven him if he chose to come off after nearly getting KO'd by the boot to the head but he came back on and was superb, the most complete athlete we've had at the club in my life time, surpassing Bale in my opinion who was also an athletic freak. I honestly don't think there's a left or right back I'd rather have over Danny and Kyle at the moment, they're so key to this team, such superb fullbacks and they've only really just entered what I feel is their best years... Scary.

Well done boys, great result.

COYS!

19. Citizen Kane

Agreed. When all 4 are fully fit, we have the best back line in the country of that there is no question.

20. The RDBD

Spurs have the best back line even without the best four fielded. <FACT>