1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Stoke City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

the holes we have filled within our squad are looking like shrewd moves...

that was French Sissoko, lets see which one turns up next game.

2. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Just what we needed, Kane off the mark and a nice easy finish to the game to let the players rest before the big CL match. Couldn't have asked for more then that.

3. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

Kane off the mark while Spurs were comfortable and cruising though and a chance he couldn't miss.

4. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

It's a good result with a clean sheet and 3 players who needed a goal have scored. Good performances from Eriksen, Son and Kyle Walker. We're in the top 4 again.. Now to chase down top spot.

5. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

IMHO we saw a lot of playing today for inclusion on the team sheet for
    a certain mid-week game.

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

Provided that it is "playing today for inclusion on the team sheet for [the next game]" then we'll be okay.

7. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

Vorm or Lloris for Monaco but get Janssen to start.

8. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

Son's a match winner, he HAS to play.

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Booooooooom!

Stoke are the side I hate most outside of the London rivals. Nasty bastards with fans that look like extras from The Walking Dead... And they have that **** ****, Charlie Adam in their ranks.

We looked quality, as good if not better than our performance there last season. Passing was crisp, movement was world class, finishing was clinical and we dealt with everything Stoke had to offer when on the back foot.

So glad Poch didn't listen to me and decided to play Son over Sissoko, the man was possessed! What a performance and his second goal was sheer class.

Amazing what a new contract can do as well because Eriksen was back to being devastating in that pocket, two assists and was unlucky not to score when Lamela chipped the ball over to him.

Alli was also back to the Alli of last season, good link up play and a goal to cap it off.

Delighted for Harry to get off the mark, he really needed that and it was put on a plate for him by Sonny.

Dier and Wanyama done OK, they didn't really need to do much as our attacking players were on the ball so often.

Walker was quality, another typical performance from him in which he contributed greatly to both defence and attack. Davies came in and performed great in Rose's absence, not that I'm surprised though because he's a quality LB.

The CB's dealt with pretty much everything that came their way, as you'd expect from the best CB pairing in the country.

Was a little disappointed for Vorm as I felt he deserved to keep his place for this game but Hugo came in and looked fine, made one good sweep in the first half and a clean sheet for him will be great to come back in with.

Great result and performance, and we've got Dembele to come back in now too!

Well done boys <ok>

COYS!

10. The first half wasn't that great....... <laugh>

Spurm likes this.

11. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

I've looked at it again and again and I'm certain Eriksen was aiming for Kane and Son stuck out a foot.

12. RobSpur

RobSpur Well-Known Member

The defending for that goal was an absoloute joke <laugh>

Good positioning/movement and finish from Sonny though <ok>

D.G.C. likes this.
  13. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Well, despite being the worst team in the history of football, we’re doing better than last year on ppg, goals against and goals.

Pochettino’s planning has paid off, I think. He wanted eight points from the four games without Dembélé and he got them by making our midfield a fortress. We haven’t been so pretty so often, but we are still undefeated and have yet to give up a goal from open play.

14. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

15. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

16. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

Let's not get too carried away with Kane. The attempt he had before his goal looked to be a kick on goal but it headed for the corner flag, it was fortunate that Son was there to put it back in where Kane couldn't miss. I'm NOT convinced Harry's back yet. I also won't be convinced that Spurs are back unless they get a three goal win against Sunderland.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  17. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Another 90 minutes jam-packed with evidence of why every single england manager overlooks Ryan Shawcross, no matter how understaffed we are at the back. The guy couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, let alone a top flight back line.

Oh and @Spurlock mate I don't know if you watched the game (assume you did), but do you see what I mean about Arnautovic? He is symptomatic of the entire Stoke ethos - plenty of talent but lazy as hell.

Lovearsenalcock and D.G.C. like this.
  18. "Thanks for that Brian"

I think Mauricio Pochettino went for a measured start to the season. Our English and other European international players had very little by way of a pre-season and we (ans some of them) still look below last season's performance levels. However, Poch made comments about not burning players out early on and it being a long, hard season. I trust that he's going to get it right and we'll be better in the second half of the season as we were last time out (and hopefully keep it going to the end). Harry Kane's a class act, he'll score 20+ again.

Whether by design or necessity, our pressing seems to be less intense. Allowing Stoke to come to us brought about break away chances. Will we play like that a bit more? Maybe against some 'lesser' teams but I'm not sure against the better teams. All interesting stuff and I hate Stoke, Hughes and Charlie Adam so it's a good day's work.

Dier Hard likes this.
  19. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

I too am concerned about doing the business against the better teams. I can't see that Poch planned a measured start, you CANNOT plan that.

20. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

Stoke have ALWAYS been a dour and boring team haven't they? I sincerely hope we see the last of them in the PL this season. I can't even be bothered to go onto the Stoke board.