1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Dec 26, 2016.

1. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

No he hasn't -in fact I don't think he has scored a competitive goal for us that wasn't a penalty!

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes. Not since he joined Spurs, though! <laugh>

He has four goals in total this season, only one of which was in the league and it was a penalty against Leicester.
    He got two in the league cup, both of which were from the spot and one for Holland, which was actually a good goal.

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

What a day!

So on the day of the game at 09:30 I get a call from my mate waking me up, asking if I fancy going Southampton as he's just managed to get two tickets from a guy and his friend who were both too hungover to make the trip down south. Luckily my Cousin and Uncle had tickets and were driving down so we jumped in with them. Was buzzing, had plans to watch it in the pub and then on the day I find out I'll be there to cheer the boys on. Our seats were row OO which was right at the back, despite the number of stairs to walk up, we had a blinding view and really couldn't complain.

Start of the game made me think "****, this isn't looking good, should've stayed at home <laugh>". Not only did van Dyke hit a good header but Southampton looked on fire for the first 15 minutes, you'd have thought it was a derby or something by the way they came out the blocks and it's fair to say we were lucky to concede just the one goal in that period.

Alli then gets us back into the game with a superb header himself and then it was pretty much all us. The passing at times between the attacking trio was telepathic, especially Alli and Eriksen, it was a real joy to watch.

Kane made it a trio of great headed goals in the game and then the Spurs really did go marching in.

The penalty incident was weird. I do believe it was a red as Redmond was the last man and denied Alli going on for a goal scoring opportunity but the foul was committed outside the box and so it should've been a freekick, not a pen - although I kind of wish it was a freekick after seeing what Harry done! Less said about it the better though, thankfully due to the result we can all laugh about it.

It was then a case of how many we'd get (with a few dodgy Hugo kicks in-between!), Son's finish was crisp while Alli's second was just reward for a great display from the young man, his best performance of the season in my opinion and he looked like the Alli of last with his neat passing, trickery and goal threat.

We got to sing the jingle bells song for Spurs winning away and left absolutely chuffed at a great result in our last game of 2016 against a good side.

The only real negative for me was Dembele again, he's just not looking as good as last season, he was caught out a couple of times in the middle of park (again!) and was pushing his luck after getting his first booking.

A repeat result against Watford would be most welcome.

COYS! <ok>

4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Its simple, if a player illegally stops a clear goal scoring oppertunity outside the box it is a free kick and a red card, if it happens inside the box it is a penalty but no red card as a team should not be punished twice for the same incident.
    As a red card was given the play should have been pulled back to the original foul, if the ref allowed advantage and a further foul occurred inside the area then he should award a penalty and nothing more (unless the actual foul merited a card).
    Them's the new rules this season so in this case the ref cocked it up badly.

5. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

It's a red if the referee considers the foul inside the box was not a genuine attempt to get the ball, or is serious foul play. The ref obviously decided that Redmond's foul was the former. Strange that he did not consider Fonte's attack on Rose to be worthy of foul, let alone a red card.

6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Damn refs need to read the Spurs rule book <grr>

7. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

As far as I understand it, that's correct. Under the new ruling, if Redmond had put in a tackle I.e. what the ref deemed an attempt to win the ball, but fouled Alli, he would probably have escaped with a yellow. As he tugged on Alli's shirt, which can hardly be considered an attempt to win the ball, it was a red.

8. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

9. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Should we have sub titles on the screen when our manager gives an interview?

maggie blanchflower likes this.