1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Dec 26, 2016.

1. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

In my defence....

Why am I even bothering actually????

**** you bitch
    <wah>

Citizen Kane likes this.
  2. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

You can see why they stole ours.

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They really don't like it when you say that! <laugh>

4. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

And people wonder why our refs are ****. Mike Dean got this right.
    He noted the original offence, allowed play to progress, then made the call for the penalty.
    Stopped the protests immediately, gave himself time to consider a big decision, then made a big call.
    Got it completely correct and is now getting stick from the media.

Meanwhile, Mark "Can't Control A Game" Clattenburg is the best ref in the world and an offside goal's being celebrated.
    We get what we deserve, I guess.

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

60 goals??! <laugh> The look on Alli's face!

6. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Eriksen is a shoe-in winner of the world crossbar challenge. He’s been hitting one a game this year, it seems. Meanwhile, despite that, he has 9 goals and 12 assists in calendar 2016, compared to Ozil’s 8 goals six assists. And, as I mentioned in another post, guess which one is #23 on the Guardian’s list of top 100 players in calendar year 2016, and which is unranked.

It would certainly be an interesting league if there were effective revenue sharing, and everyone had the same funds to work with (as is largely the case in US sports). Saints would be the big winner, and we’d be fighting it out with you for the league. If you hadn’t lost anyone to clubs with deeper pockets, you’d have Mane, Bale, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, arguably Alderweireld (though really he was on loan), Chambers, Lallana, Lovren, Shaw, Walcott, Chambers.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

8. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I don't think I understand the rules of football these days.
    Let's say for example, Redmond had pulled Dele back as he did. But instead of there being an open space through on goal for Dele to run into and shoot, there was infact a defender sat on the edge of the box who'd tackled Dele after the pull back. Wouldnt we see most ref's calling play back to a free kick on the edge of the box, having seen no advantage?
    Why should this change because another foul was then made in the box afterwards?

9. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Rafa :emoticon-0115-inlov

Its lies, damn lies and statistics though. The bottom 3 players spent their first 50 games surrounded by a shower of ****e, whereas the top 3 were operating within vastly improved units. Even Eriksen's opening period was within a team challenging for 5th or 6th - the stuff of dreams in Poyet and Ginola's times.

10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Because there's a further offence? The red is arguably for the pull outside the box, but Redmond commits another foul.
    If you were only to punish any initial offence, then you could commit a minor one, then lunge in two-footed and escape punishment.

The advantage was played, but none occurred because of another foul.
    Players aren't supposed to benefit from breaking the rules.

Has this helped at all or just muddied the waters even further?
    The way that the media treat this stuff really doesn't make things very clear for fans.

Spurf likes this.

11. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

There is definitely an underlying agenda that has been quietly simmering away over the past year or two to keep games as 'flowing' as possible. I suppose as the PL becomes an ever more gargantuan global entertainment industry, the demands from huge markets in Asia and the US have filtered down to the PL bigwigs in the form of *cough* "xmas presents" *cough*, and refs are now being subtly prompted to keep games as high octane as possible. Hence Mark 'allergic to cards' Clattenburg is now weirdly seen as a competent official.
    It explains the double-standards of the pundits. Even Saints fans were admitting it was a red for denying a goalscoring opportunity but arguing the penalty as it looked as though the main tug was outside the box. But you'll hear every pundit arguing the opposite. Why? Because a penalty is exciting, 10 v 11 is a darn shame. Garth Crooks had some scathing comments for Dean which basically revolved around the notion that 'Redmond shouldn't have been sent off because it ruined an open game'. Cry me a river sir. <doh>

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  12. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I dislike the way red cards can spoil a game and scew the results (sometimes) but I also hate cheating which is so prevalent in the modern game.

13. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I absolutely hate this argument. It infuriates me.
    Dean ruined the spectacle? No, Redmond ruined it with his lazy, cynical foul/s.
    He was rightly punished and he should be the one being scrutinised today, not the official.

They've applied this same analysis to a couple of our recent games.
    Taylor kicks Walker in the face and should see red? Doesn't matter. Didn't influence the result.
    Barnes studs Alli's ankle, then commits a disgraceful tackle on Dembele? Doesn't matter. Didn't influence the result.
    Three big incidents, none of which made the MOTD highlights.

14. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

The whole situation is muddied waters for me. I just don't get it.
    If there's an offence and Redmond is sent off for for the foul outside the box as you say, then his time on the pitch is done at that point, surely? Not 3 seconds later allowing him enough time to give a penalty away as well, after already committing a red card offence? .
    Im not suggesting a player should benefit from breaking the rules, but the question for me was at which point was the rule broken?
    I'm not trying to side with Southampton here, i'm just playing devils advocate. I think we'd be extremely ****ed off if we'd had a player sent off (rightly so) for a challenge that started outside the box, then play was allowed to carry in into the box and we were hit with a double wammy of a penalty as well.
    I am either really thick, or the rules are seeming extremely intricate these days. I think it's probably the former.

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Redmond's time isn't done until play is stopped. A player could conceivably commit multiple red card offences in one move.

Just for the record, if Redmond had pulled Alli back in the box as his only offence, then he'd still have been sent off.
    The new double jeopardy rule doesn't apply if you're not making a genuine effort to get the ball.
    A pull, push or hold are automatically considered to be dismissals, in that case.

Roo likes this.
  16. RobSpur

RobSpur Well-Known Member

So long as you've not been sent to buy Paulinho back.

17. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing up, PNP.
    Still seems very complicated and it's no wonder there's so many controversial decisions so frequently. <ok>

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

It doesn't help when the pundits don't keep up with what referees are being told.
    They talk about what they want to see and what they think should be given, regardless of the rules and instructions.
    The public hear it from them and think they're being accurate, which leads to more confusion.

I called it a red immediately, even before Dean gave the decision.
    If I can manage that, then why can't these supposed professionals, all of whom are very well paid?
    Lazy ****ers.

19. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Would you rather he picked up Gael Kakuta?

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator