1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Middlesbrough

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 22, 2016.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Saturday 24th September 3pm
    Premier League
    Riverside Stadium​

An extremely comfortable cup win out of the way and we're back to the Premier League, again.
    Sunday's side were all rested for the visit of Gillingham, so tiredness shouldn't be a factor.
    Most of the team that beat Sunderland should start, but the cup win gives Pochettino things to consider.
    There were some impressive performances, albeit against a weaker side.

Boro's return to the Premier League has been a little bumpy for them, so far.
    The started well, drawing with Stoke and beating their Northeast rivals Sunderland away.
    A cup loss to Fulham won't have bothered them too badly, but it started a dip in form.
    An extremely dull draw with West Brom was followed by losses to Palace and Everton.

Aitor Karanka will want to get his side back on track as soon as possible and he'll know the importance of home games.
    Grabbing a result here could settle some nerves and steady the ship.
    Three losses on the bounce at this early stage would see them looking over their shoulders.

Our last trip to the Riverside was the opening game of the 2008/09 season.
    David Wheater and our old Egyptian striker Mido scored for them, before Robert Huth OG'd us one back.
    It was the start of our infamous 2 points from 8 games run, which saw the end of Juande Ramos.
    Berbatov was refusing to play, Robbie Keane had been tapped up and we were in turmoil.

The return fixture that season was a very different game and the scoreline reflected that.
    It followed our League Cup final loss to Man Utd and the team played as if it had a point to prove.
    Both sides were fighting relegation, but the gulf in class was clear to see by the final whistle.
    Keane scored his first since returning from Liverpool, then Pavlyuchenko doubled the lead.
    Two goals from Aaron Lennon completed the scoring, the first of which was a very nice move:

Having started the day within touching distance in the table (28 pts to 26), the two campaigns ended miles apart.
    We pushed on to finish 8th with 51 points, while Boro only picked up another 8 and finished 19th.
    A final day loss to West Ham sent them down and a win would've seen them survive.

No suspensions to consider for this one, though Kane's injury will see him miss out.
    Rose should be available for selection, but he may be saved for the trip to Moscow.
    Leadbitter, Husband and da Silva miss out for Boro, while Stuani and Rhodes will be assessed.
    They have no suspensions, either.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Walker, Alderweireld, Dier, Vertonghen; Wanyama, Dembele; Sissoko, Alli, Son; Kane.
    Subs: Vorm, Trippier, Davies, Winks, Eriksen, Lamela, Janssen.

Boro: Valdes; Barragan, Ayala, Gibson, Friend; de Roon, Forshaw; Nsue, Ramirez, Downing; Negredo.
    Subs: Guzan, Espinosa, Chambers, Clayton, Traore, Fischer, Nugent.

Referee: Graham Scott. This will be his first Premier League game of the season.

I suspect that people will be calling for various different approaches to this one.
    We have a trip to Moscow on the Tuesday, so Pochettino will probably have that in mind.
    How many changes would you make to the side that won against Sunderland on Sunday?
    Should anyone be dropped and did anyone do enough against Gillingham to start?

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Played for both: Jonathan Woodgate, Nicky Barmby, Luke Young, Mido, Graeme Souness, Cyril Knowles, Ernie Walley, Charlie Hewitt, Jack Elkes, Robert Walker

3. RobSpur

RobSpur Well-Known Member

I know Souness was on the books as a kid, but did he actually play for us ?

4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

RobSpur likes this.
  5. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I saw Souness play for our youth team against Aldershot

6. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Paul Stewart passed through Middlesbrough on his way to play for Sunderland:emoticon-0138-think

7. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

8. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

I've just read Lawro and he thinks the same as we're all thinking, that this is a good chance for Vince. He must come good. Lawro says 0-2.

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

No pressure, eh? The bloke's only started 2 games and is doing fine. The press are trying to turn him into 'Soldado II', let's not join in please?

RobSpur, Spurm and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  10. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

11. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Good man. I read this a couple of days ago:

“It is hard. When I went to Tottenham it was difficult because the expectation level goes up a notch.

“They are a big club and are expected to win things every week. It is difficult.

“The only thing he can do is try and relax and do as well as he can. They will give you time, that is one thing I will say about the Tottenham fans, they do give you time, a chance to find your feet. As soon as he gets his first goal he will get going.”

Darren Bent speaking this week. If he thinks we're fans who give strikers a chance and Bobby Soldado loves us, let's give Vincent Janssen the same support. I reckon he's going to repay us over and over in the years ahead

12. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

I commented when he missed a sitter for his old club whether we've signed another Darren Bent or not who also missed sitters
    . Now, if you've read my posts you will notice I am more of a supporter of Vince than I am of Harry. N'koudou feeding Vince makes my mouth water.

13. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I have seen enough of Janssen to know he is bringing different dimensions to
    the forward role than associated with Kane, that will benefit the team.
    Now tis all about the usual forward business : start scoring and get going.

14. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

If Darren Bent put in half the effort that Soldado did, then he'd have been an England regular.
    Fantastic eye for goal, but lazy as ****.

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Despite it was against Gillingham, Eriksen and Lamela looked devastatingly good so I'd say they'll likely be back in the starting line up, question is, who on earth drops out?!

Tough call but I'd go with:

Hugo
    Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose
    Dier, Dembele
    Lamela, Eriksen, Alli
    Janssen

Vorm, Tripps, Kev, Wanyama, Sissoko, Son, Onomah/ Winks

Poch said Rose, Dier and Dembele will all be assessed after today's training session, so despite it being a potential risk, I'd play all three if they were OK. Reason why is we have CSKA on Tuesday and then City on the Sunday, so my thinking is to use Walker, Rose, Dier and Dembele for Boro and then City, while Tripps, Davies, Wanyama and Sissoko face CSKA. I'd be surprised if any of those players played the next three games in a row as I'd say the full back positions followed by the centre mids are the most physically demanding roles in the squad. Dropping Son for this is also harsh and my reasoning isn't much better but I just feel that due to prior inconsistency issues, he's somewhat due an inefficient performance on Saturday (like I said, crappy reason). The fact it's getting so tough to predict an IX is great, our squad is crazily strong and whoever gets selected at the moment there isn't that usual sigh of "oh ****, so-and-so is playing ahead of him, that's bullshit!".

COYS!

16. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Dier, Rose and Dembele to be assessed today. We might see

Walker Alderweireld Wimmer Vertonghen
    Wanyama Alli
    Sissoko Eriksen Son
    Janssen

I wouldn't mind seeing Winks start, and I'd like to see Lamela and Eriksen again, but it may be Pochettino wants to rotate Alli, Sissoko, Son, Lamela and Eriksen. If so, the first three are due a start. I'm guessing Wimmer might be named if Vertonghen plays at LB again and Dier isn't available.

17. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Pochettino was clean shaven in his pre match conference. @O.Spurcat will be pleased :D

I'd start Wanyama over Dier, as I think he's been better and if Dembele's not fully fit then I really hope we start Winks, he'd give us a lot more balance out there.

Hopefully either Davies or Rose plays at left back and we don't push Jan out there again.

It will be interesting to see whon starts in the 3 behind Janssen. Alli, Eriksen and Lamela are the usual picks but Son has been excellent so far and Sissoko has looked bright in his short time with us. I'd probably go for Son and Sissoko either side of Eriksen and swap in Lamela and Alli for the trip to Moscow.

18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

He won't be pleased with this, though:

<grr>

19. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

For those having difficulty understanding Poch, he said ...

I go to not606 Spurs a few hours before the match.
    I read the postings by Spurcat over the past few days.
    Based on that, and what kind of WUM mood I am in, I select either suit or tracksuit.

20. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I'm not a fan of the Oswald Mosley inspired black trousers and black top he's taken to wearing recently.

SpursDisciple likes this.