1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Dec 9, 2016.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Sunday 11th December 2.15pm
    Premier League
    Old Trafford​

We finally got off the mark at Wembley, following our comfortable league win last weekend.
    Swansea offered little resistance and CSKA weren't much better, but it's a good response to a loss.
    Alderweireld made his return and both Kane and Eriksen appear to be hitting a bit of form.
    This game should be a sterner test and we really need to get through it without a loss, at least.

Mourinho's side have been on a decent run themselves, following their own loss to Chelsea.
    The only real blot on the copybook was an away loss to Fenerbahce and they progressed regardless.
    Like us though, they'll probably think that they've drawn too many games of late.
    Arsenal and Everton are acceptable, but they'll see it as points dropped against Burnley and West Ham.
    They'll be desperate to win this and get back within touching distance of us in the league.

Our visit to Old Trafford in the last campaign saw a decent performance, but a poor result.
    It was the opening game of the season and the home side barely created any chances.
    They took the lead in the first half though, thanks to a Kyle Walker own goal.
    Hard to blame him too much though, as he had to put in a tackle on Rooney, who was through on goal.

Eriksen had wasted an earlier chance, chipping it over the advancing Romero, but also the crossbar.
    De Gea and Lloris were both left out of the starting lineups, rather surprisingly.
    Alderweireld's debut showed promise though, as the home side only managed one shot on target.
    Ashley Young barely tested Vorm in the 65th minute.
    The one slip-up was enough though, as we looked leggy and couldn't break through ourselves.

The reverse fixture was quite different, as it was the visitors who put on a strong defensive performance.
    Utd's team bus was late, so the game was delayed by half an hour.
    Timothy Fosu-Mensah then parked his own proverbial bus in front of their goal, putting in a very impressive stint.
    His game was ended early by injury, unfortunately. Then this happened:

No suspensions for this one, but Vertonghen's still one card away from picking one up.
    Alderweireld and Davies should be available again, but Lamela and Janssen are out.
    Utd also have no suspensions and only Smalling injured, with Shaw also doubtful.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Walker, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose; Wanyama, Dembele; Eriksen, Alli, Son; Kane.
    Subs: Vorm, Carter-Vickers, Wimmer, Sissoko, Winks, Onomah, N'Koudou.
    League form: DDDWLW.

Man Utd: De Gea; Valencia, Jones, Rojo, Darmian; Carrick, Herrera; Mkhitaryan, Pogba, Martial, Ibrahimovic.
    Subs: Romero, Bailly, Blind, Fellaini, Mata, Lingard, Rashford.
    League form: LDWDDD.

Referee: Bobby Madley.

TV: Sky Sports 1.

Assuming that Alderweireld starts, should Dier be pushed in the midfield or dropped to the bench?
    Did Winks do enough with his impressive performance against CSKA to start this one? If so, then who should make way?
    Does anyone need to be rested and do we need to do anything different tactically?

Spurf and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  2. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Paul Stewart played for Liverpool and Manchester City<yikes>

Never liked him:rolleyes:

3. littleDinosaurLuke

As for the game, it's a difficult one to call. Utd have been playing well (by recent standards anyway), but we still don't look convincing in front of goal - at either end. The team is still less than the sum if its parts. We are dominant at home, but don't carry the goal threat we should. At some point, you have to believe things will click and some team will get a thrashing - Burnley should have got one, but Utd contrived to manage almost 40 attempts at goal without scoring once!

I think this is a game where both sides will have periods of possession (both are good at retaining the ball). The game is likely to be decided by a moment of inspiration or a defensive error. I can't see many goals. I've gone for 1-1. Failing that 1-0 either way.

4. Tibbers

Tibbers Active Member

excited to see Toby Alderweireld to the field again!

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Utd have great attacking options but I think we can massively exploit them at the back, their defence looks very average (cue a 0-0 now). With Toby (hopefully) fit to start that's going to be huge in having to deal with Zlatan and co.

Selection will be interesting, if Toby does start, does Dier or Wanyama drop to the bench? Wanyama's been awesome this season, although I would say he's not been as 'destructive' as he was in say the first 10 games whereas Dier was excellent last year and an absolute revelation at DM. I've asked myself quite a bit who I think I'd prefer and I think Dier should regain the place, it's incredibly harsh on a player who's been one of the signings of the season but I try to look at who can do a better overall job and I just think while Wanyama may edge the defensive aspects (marginally), Dier has more to his game (better passes, bigger aerial threat from set pieces, can cross superbly if he has the ball in a wide position) and so can help the team tick a bit better on the front foot. There's a case for both starting though, which would give Mousa a free role so to speak. Them three would really put Pogba, Carrick and Herrera/ Fellaini to the test.

I'd go with either:

Hugo
    Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose
    Dier, Dembele, Wanyama
    Eriksen, Kane, Alli

or

Hugo
    Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose
    Dier, Dembele
    Eriksen, Alli, Son
    Kane

COYS!

6. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I think Dier should be on the bench. Wanyama does not deserve to be dropped. Dier could come on to bust a gut for the last half hour. That's 90 minutes of potential gut busting by our DM as oppose to say 70....if the same bloke does the whole shift. This kind of fine tuning would suffocate United's talented but lazy attacking players.

Plus if Toby starts he might not last the 90. So a straight up replacement and one which I have more confidence in than the Wimmer of this season.

7. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Inda likes this.
  8. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

It's a critical game for both teams. Spurs desperately need a win to stay within reach of the top, and Man U. need one to stay within range of a CL spot. It's a game where neither team should be happy with a draw, which ought to lead to risk-taking. So, cue 0-0.

I wonder if Spurs and Eirksen's recent improvement have been due to his playing on the right, in an advanced position. As much as I like Lamela, his left-footedness makes him unable to provide any width on that side. With Eiriksen on the right and Son on he left, we can threaten from both flanks, which opens up the middle for Kane and Alli.

9. littleDinosaurLuke

[QUOTE="PleaseNotPoll, post: 9995261, member: 100942]

[/QUOTE]
    It was a lovely, sunny day in Manchester

10. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

It was a lovely, sunny day in Manchester[/QUOTE]
    It's clearly ****ing dark and miserable.

11. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

These journalists love asking crap questions.

12. Having hopefully re-found our mojo in the last couple of games and with a good recent history against United home and away I am certainly hoping for at least a point tomorrow. And the thursday game in Ukraine is not going to improve things for the opposition.
    However, there have been a few glimpses of decent form from their collected assembly of expensive imports and in particular Mkhitaryan has started to look more like a Bundesliga POTY, rather than the complete misfit he has appeared for most of the season.
    Another game we can afford not to win, but really cannot afford to lose!

13. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

With Sporting Siggurdson FC winning today, a United defeat tomorrow would see them closer to the relegation zone than to us! The league is simply mental this season.

As for Toby...looked very, very rusty on Wednesday. I'd be nervous to start him but then again Dier at CB hasn't filled me with confidence. Maybe a few more days of full training has brought his sharpness back to par?

14. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

Our best 11 are a better team , if not all individually than Utd . The boring ones cautious play should benefit
    us if we play with a swagger . Very hard but with Kane finding form and Erikesen at last showing some creativity
    we should grap it . Then we can enjoy the boring one , acting like his usual spoilt child routine .

Sids Sunday dinner is a memorable one in honour of our Utd victory . Farmer Jack Parsons ( a neighbour ) has
    kindly given us some pheasants that he shot recently , the little lady indoors will be plucking , wrapping them
    in bacon and roasting for 45 mins . A red wine gravy with lots of garlic , Rosemary , sage from the garden , if you were posh ł think you would call that a Jus or something . Sweet potatoe mash ( yes a little left field ) parsnips and winter greens. Washing that down with a bobby dazzler , once again a little Jack Kerouac but chateau Musar , a full deep rich red of epic proportions a bit like myself some say . Lebanese you say , why not , constant award winner made by
    the Maronites for generations . Bobs your uncle .

Keep it up
    Sid

lennypops likes this.
  15. The RDBD

Can we somehow link the quality of a Spurs performance to the deliciousness
    of whatever Sidney is having for dinner that day ?? :)

Roo likes this.
  16. The RDBD

To see whether these plank-ton are like this across the board or just for Spurs
    would require watching other clubs' press conferences.
    And unless Jimmy Liddel is in the crowd, I ain't wasting breath on them.

17. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Sissoko just sent a tweet implying that he is in the match day squad. Joy.

Rocky blue army likes this.
  18. littleDinosaurLuke

You''ve got your undoubted best XI out (with the possible exception of Lamela for Son). We don't know what our best team is - but it certainly isn't the XI selected today. It could be 11 from any 25+ players. That's the big difference at present. Rotation/squad depth etc has its place, but the best teams know their best XI and get it on the field more often than not.

19. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Toby starting. Dier on the bench.

Nice one....think its the right decision. I feel more confident knowing Toby is organising things at the back.

20. The RDBD

Lloris (C); Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose; Wanyama, Dembele; Eriksen, Dele, Son; Kane.
    Subs: Vorm, Wimmer, Davies, Dier, Winks, Sissoko, Nkoudou.

The only thing missing is the ferocious pressing that Lamela brings
    (hopefully that will be available over the Dec-Jan period) .