1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 28, 2016.

1. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

Erm.... Actually, no.

I've seen many a match where we've scored one and then looked like settling for the one goal win. I know what that looks, and feels, like. Painfully annoying.

This was far from one of those matches. I was relieved and impressed by the way in which we actively pursued goals even after the second.

Long may such verve continue.

bigsmithy9 likes this.
  2. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Now no wumming PnP, just because they don't have a defense this year.......<wish I could do a smilie>

3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Talksport discussing Pool and Spurs. A phone in...I enjoy them.

Danny Kelly hosting.

Our mate 'Arry co hosting.

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They finally worked out that Ivanovic has been **** at right-back at the start of the last two seasons, unfortunately.
    They might pick up a bit now. Shame.

5. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Stan is Trump's long lost "British" cousin?

No Kane No Gain likes this.
  6. LuisDiazgamechanger

Well done Tottenham. We now know that city are not invincible . They cannot even score<applause><applause><applause><applause>.

7. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Well they're both deluded and racist(well he's a Chelsea fan so probably) and neither are billionaires :D

8. No Kane No Gain

I nailed it in the build up for the game:

Just needed Son to score rather than just get a poxy assist. Even Delph would've been better than Fernando, that guy is total rubbish.

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fernando's a decent holding midfielder, I think. Picking him and Fernandinho gave them the same problem that Dier/Wanyama did for us.
    Should've gone with one of them and Gundogan, for me.

10. No Kane No Gain

He's one of those players who probably isn't that bad but he's never had a good game against us. Fernandinho is better on the ball than Dier and Wanyama(although they're not too bad) but whilst he's got a lot of energy he's a bit dodgy at times defensively, which is something that hasn't really been tested too much prior to playing us.

11. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Donald Twunt?

12. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Inda likes this.
  13. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I have to say, in these press conferences Pochettino is an absolute
    Narrative (TM) killer. <applause>

14. LuisDiazgamechanger

City are yet to play Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. Still early in the season.

15. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

If only someone asked him about the Ghostbusters desecration back in May...

16. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

SOS said: "Lamela - 8 - Worked hard, good link-up play at times but shocking penalty."

Completely disagree. He shouldn't be in the starting line-up now we have Sissoko and N'Koudou available. Hard work is not enough if the skills are not there to exploit the effort. As against CSK, he constantly passed the ball to the opposition. Even when he took the penalty!

yidokev and RobSpur like this.
  17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Can't agree with that one bit, Audrey.

Sissoko has shown decent work rate and looks to be a very handy addition if he keeps up the hard work but he's offered nothing thus far in terms of goals or assists. Nkoudou looks like a real tricky player and down the line he may well command a starting place but we need to remember he's brand new to the country, new to the league, doesn't know the lingo and is likely still adjusting to Poch's tough regime while also getting to know his team mates. It's no coincidence that Wanyama has been our best signing so far seeing as he spent 18 or so months under Poch, while Sissoko has also fitted in well as he knows the league.

To fight Lamela's case, he's contributed towards the most goals for us so far this season, when taking into account all competitions he has 2 goals and 6 assists in 10 appearances, one of those assists being for the winner in the game at CSKA which you criticised his passing against. Of all the attacking players in the team, Lamela probably has the most daring of visions, he often tries making the perfect pass to set up a goal and realistically we know it's not always going to work out but I'd like to think the law of probability would suggest that if he keeps trying, eventually one will come off, just like against CSKA and other occasions.

EDIT: To add, Lamela's work rate is up there with the top 5 in our team, I'd say only Walker, Rose, Dier and Dembele have put in more miles than Lamela over the past season or so.

For me, despite the fact I'm probably Not606's biggest fan of Eriksen, it's either he or Alli that should be looking over their shoulder seeing as they've not contributed to half of what Lamela has this season.

18. LuisDiazgamechanger

Kolarov own goal was as a result of sustained attack. He did't want to score it.Please do not take anything away from Tottenham

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Dier Hard and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  19. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Completely agree with this, a spot on analysis. I was suitably impressed by Eriksen in terms of work rate against City, but again found myself disappointed that he is still struggling to impose his influence on games as we have seen him do multiple times in the past. His set-piece delivery also remains shockingly poor, and it would appear that Son has also recently enrolled in the Eriksen School of Corner Excellence as some of his were also alarmingly bad.

For me, Sunday's game was as close to a perfect performance as we'll likely see. My only two gripes were the usual two that simply aren't going away:

Hugo's distribution
    Our habit of using set-pieces to clear the ball for the opposition. The ref might as well award a goal kick every time we receive a corner.

Dier Hard likes this.
  20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah Eriksen was great against City, felt he really controlled the game and that's what he's capable of doing, just hope he improves on the goals/ assists side of things.

I give up on corner takers these days, we average about one well taken corner for every 6 bad ones, I just expect it to hit the first man now and anything over that is just a bonus.

Hugo's distribution has worryingly got a lot worse, I don't remember a run of games like he's had recently in which he's massively ****ed up possession so many times, we're lucky the opposition hasn't capitalised on it. I'd say Vorm has looked much, much better when in goal so far in 16/17 and he was harshly dropped when Hugo regained fitness. Although it has to be said Hugo somewhat redeemed himself a bit with that world class save from Aguero's deflected shot, I thought that was going in from where I sit, those sort of saves reaffirm just why he's one of the very best on the planet.