1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Gillingham

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 19, 2016.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Wednesday 21st September 8pm
    League Cup 3rd Round
    White Hart Lane​

So we're back to winning ways with a hard fought, but very one-sided victory over Sunderland.
    We may have had tons of possession, territory and chances, but the margin of victory was narrow.
    Another clean sheet in the books though, despite changes at the back.
    3 points in the bag and now a midweek break for the League Cup.

Justin Edinburgh will be relishing this game, as he returns to the Lane as the opposition manager.
    He played over 200 games for us during a ten-year stint at the club, winning two trophies.
    His most infamous moment in a Spurs shirt came during the final of this competition.
    Robbie Savage has described his own actions in this game as being disgraceful recently:

Gillingham have had a mixed season so far, winning three, drawing two and losing three in the league.
    They did bag a notable scalp in the last round of this competition though, as they knocked out Watford.
    Having gone behind in the second half, they were able to equalise and send things into extra-time.
    Bradley Dack put them ahead and they held on for a surprise victory.
    A warning not to take them too lightly, I'd have thought:

No bans to speak of for this one, but Kane and Rose both miss out through injury.
    Dembele and Walker are supposed to be ok, but I think that they might not be risked.
    Jamie O'Hara (remember him?) is out for Gillingham, having injured his foot.
    Ryan Jackson returns from a one-match suspension.

Other ex-Spurs players to look out for are Paul Konchesky, who was a loanee and Emmanuel Osadebe.
    The latter player spent a short period at the Lane as a youth player, before being let go last year.
    Former Goon youth player Jay Emmanuel-Thomas is on loan there from QPR, so he'd love to put one over on us.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Walker, Alderweireld, Dier, Vertonghen; Wanyama, Dembele; Sissoko, Alli, Son; Kane.
    Subs: Vorm, Trippier, Davies, Winks, Eriksen, Lamela, Janssen.

Gills: Bond; Pask, Ehmer, Oshilaja, Konchesky; Osaoabe, Wright, Byrne; Dack; Wagstaff, McDonald.
    Subs: Nelson, Dickenson, Hessenthaler, Knott, Oldaker, List, Emmanuel-Thomas.

Referee: David Coote. He appears to be a ref on the way up. Championship this season, so far.

It's a tough, long season and I think that we're all expecting some rotation for this one.
    How far should we go though and who needs to be left out?
    Should anyone definitely start and who should be protected at all costs?

2. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

If it makes Lidls feel any better, Justin Edinburgh played with Paul Stewart. Sorry, that's the best that I can do.

3. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

My preference is changing two or three players each match. But I think I'd change a lot more for this one:

Vorm
    Trippier Carter-Vickers Wimmer Davies
    Winks Wanyama
    Sissoko Carroll Onomah
    Janssen

Bring on Nkoudou if he is fit and have a few more youngsters on the bench.

Dier Hard likes this.
  4. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

This. But i'd start Nkoudou in place of Carroll, with either Onomah or Sissoko playing centrally.

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I'd make minor changes to that.

Not sure who I'd want to risk on the bench.
    I'm hoping that Edwards, Harrison, Walker-Peters and Winks are included, though.

6. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I've seen one site suggesting this lineup: Lloris; Trippier, CCV, Wimmer, KWP; Carrol, Winks; Edwards, Onomah, N'Koudou; Harrison

I'd prefer a little more common sense and go with something like this: Vorm; Trippier, CCV, Wimmer, Davies; Wanyama, Winks; Sissoko, Omomah, N'Koudou; Janssen

Edwards and Harrison can have a spot on the bench - but we also need the likes of Verts, Son and Dembele on the bench in case we need to kick it up a gear.

RobSpur likes this.
  7. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Is Wimmer available?

8. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Kicking it up a gear never works in a game like this from what i've seen. We need to put out a team strong enough to win it. If we go weak with the mentality of "we can bring on the big guns" then we could get knocked out.

9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Pochettino commented on our centre-half situation the other day and he claimed that Wimmer wasn't injured.
    He returned late to the pre-season because of the Euros, got a knock in training and lost his place to Carter-Vickers.
    http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/s...kers_on_the_bench_instead_of_wimmer_1_4700631

Fairly interesting interview overall, actually.
    "You were ****" - Marcelo Bielsa. <laugh>

10. humanbeingincroydon

We certainly shouldn't be putting out the first xi - but then again we shouldn't be sending out the reserves, especially if the suggested lineup is riddled with flaws . For example, here's the list of flaws in the suggested lineup:
    * KWP at left back, despite him being a right back
    * A Winks/Carroll pivot, even though neither player is a defensive midfielder
    * Even without Kane injured it makes so much more sense to give Janssen a start

Also, it makes a lot of sense to have the more experienced options on the bench for various reasons. If we're looking to lock down the game we can bring on Dembele for Winks, and given Dembele's lack of playing time since May him getting some minutes would be an advantage, while Wimmer is coming back from an injury and has lacked playing time it's better to have Verts as an option than Walkes or Amos.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Similar to Power I don't like seeing too much rotation but with Prem & CL commitments plus the fact we have a large squad, heavy rotation is probably the best option for domestic cups for this season, especially as it's vital to keep squad players as fit as possible.

Vorm
    Tripps, CCV, Wimmer, Davies
    Sissoko, Winks
    Onomah, Carroll, Nkoudou
    Janssen

Lopez, KWP, Jan, Wanyama, Dembele, Edwards, Harrison

Keep a fairly strong bench just for insurance purposes. KWP and Edwards are in the PL2 squad tonight so not sure if they'll even be on the bench for Gillingham, I hope they will be though, would love to see them get a run out at some point.

EDIT: Poch confirmed Harrison is injured, so Son on the bench. Or maybe Sterling or Loft?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  12. rockspur

rockspur Member

I'm always concerned when a team really "looks" like a 2nd team - I think that's bad for morale within the squad and doesn't help to integrate the youngsters. I want to see CCV, Winks and Onomah being given 90 minutes, but playing alongside first team regulars so that they can really show they're ready to come in and do a job when required in the big matches. We could put out this team
    Vorm
    Trippier, CCV, Jan, Davies
    Wanywama, Winks
    Sissoko, Onomah, Lamela
    Janssen
    If you think about who's left out it's actually a second team, but it has a nice balance of youth and experience and gives some minutes to first-teamers who need it while looking like we mean business. Lopez, Wimmer, Dembele, Caroll, Eriksen, GNK, Harrison on the bench.

The Changing Man likes this.
  13. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Am I literally the only person that doesn't wanna see Janssen anywhere near the team sheet tonight? I know he needs 90mins, but I don't wanna see him playing this evening bearing in mind how much he will have to deputise for Kane over the coming weeks.

redwhiteandermblue likes this.
  14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Tough to say, he could do with some game time as since his last 90 minutes against Palace about 4 weeks ago, he's only clocked up about 100 minutes since, so I doubt he's 100%. I want him to go into the Boro game as near peak fitness as possible, so leaving him out tonight is more risky than actually playing him.

To make things worse, Shay is also injured. So even if Janssen doesn't play or plays for a certain amount, we'll be needing to either rely on Son or youngsters like Sterling or Loft to play up top for a period but I'm not sure they're ready for first team football just yet, Loft in fairness has the frame whereas Sterling will have the speed but it's the mental aspects more so than physical I'd be worried about, completely different ball game going from PL2 to first team.

@O.Spurcat, any idea as to whether you think Loft or Sterling would be ready to play a few minutes for the first team if required now that Harrison is out tonight?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  15. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I hope to see Jansen play tonight and get his first Spurs goals, in an ideal world he would play for an hour score 2 and then go off and let Son have a 30 min run up front too.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  16. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

P Lopez to score in 90 minutes and Tottenham to win the match 11/4

R Mason to score in 90 minutes and Tottenham to win the match 9/2

H Kane to score in 90 minutes and Tottenham to win the match 5/6

Available on Paddy Power

17. The Changing Man

Looking forward to one of my all too infrequent visits to the Lane tonight, and as someone who doesn't see us play 'live' as often as he would like (twice in a week is a record for me). I would like to see the strongest team possible play But as fan I also understand the need for some rotation. I trust Poch to get the rotation right and I am expecting something along these lines. Vorm, Trippier, Davies, CCV, Wimmer, Wanyama, Winks, Lamela, Carroll, Eriksen, Jansen - Subs Lopez, Vertonghen, Dembele, Sissoko, Son, Onomah & N'Koudou.

I have also seen the Gills play a couple of times this season and we can expect them to be competitive and busy in midfield, Dack is without question their best player and is likely to have a 'free-ish' role in order to try and create chances , though you don't come up against many Wanyamas in league 1. Jay Emmanuel Thomas has been a bit of an enigma so far but he is clearly talented and I get the impression he will be up for it tonight. Gillingham don't do clean sheets and defending has not been their great strength so far this campaign so we will create chances, but this remains a banana skin that we could easily slip on if our attitude is not spot on. I expect a fairly open game and we should win maybe 3-1 (I know I shouldn't but I would like to see The Gills score)

18. The Changing Man

This is almost as good from the BBC

Tottenham Hotspur Stats
    Top Goal Scorers
    1. Chadli 2
    2. Kane 2
    3. Son Heung-min 2

remembercolinlee likes this.
  19. humanbeingincroydon

Jamie O'Hara will miss the game due to injury, which spares us the inevitability of him scoring.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Shayon Harrison's injured, according to Pochettino's interview on the OS.
    Bloody typical. Would've been a big opportunity for him to make the match squad.