1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Everton

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Disappointing that we paid you way too much respect mate.

You're a very good side but we'd have been far better served standing toe to toe with you imo.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  2. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Cheers, Tobes. Only saw the first half, but the way you played you'd have been dead and buried by half time if our finishing was a bit sharper.

Once you went one down, you had nothing much more to lose.

3. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

When the finishing perfects someone is in for a thrashing.

4. Imagine we get Son and Lamela back to their best, with a fully fit Rose, Eriksen remembering how to take corners and free-kicks, and with Kane continuing to score for fun!

There has got to be another Bristol Rovers on the cards, some time.

SpursDisciple likes this.
  5. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I was surprised at how negative Koeman's selection was. Your midfield was far too static and young Davies - promising though he may be - was painfully out of his depth. I also have to say that Ashley Williams looks past it. Not sure if it was a bad day at the office for him but he was second to every ball and lucky to have still been on the pitch by FT. He was quality at Swansea but moving to you was a big step up and at 32, he isn't going to get any better.

6. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Davis was playing out of position, he's not been out of his depth against better sides than Spurs tbf

Williams is playing alongside a donk, one of the last Martinez purchases left. He got away with one aginast Kane though.

7. The commentary on TalkSport was equally dreadful and biased.

Everything was seen from an Everton perspective.

"Everton have not lost in their last 12 games, and a win today would do them a massive favour for a European spot."

"Everton only need a goal to lift themselves and get back in this match."

"Lukaku only needs a sniff at goal!"

It was nauseating!

Nothing about Spurs until the final whistle blew, when the ****ers had to acknowledge that we'd won, but you could tell they did it through gritted teeth.

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

We made what is a very good Everton side look distinctly average today. If it weren't for a couple of rare sloppy mistakes at the back, that would've been a comfortable 3-0 victory.

We've been such a joy to watch at The Lane this season, you really get the sense that as it's our final year there, Poch and the boys are determined to go out with a bang. 3-2 West Ham, 2-0 Chelsea, 2-0 City, 4-0 Stoke, 4-0 WBA, 5-0 Swansea, 3-0 Hull and now today's solid win over Everton have just been incredible to witness.

Thought the whole team were on it (minus Eriksen's set pieces... Again!) but for me I thought Ben Davies probably had his best game in a Spurs shirt, all of us in the stand were joking saying he must've had a couple lines and a red bull because he just seemed so up for it.

Kane's first... Wow, just wow. Not sure if it could be heard on the TV/ Radio but after his second we were singing "He's just a one season wonder!", which went down with laughter.

Great result, big three points after the some of the results this weekend.

9. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

Agreed.

10. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Indeed. Even the typical Spurs MF pressing was leisurely today.

11. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Perhaps Nemesis has pencilled in the NLD for that one
    (Rose/Lamela etc could all be match fit again by then) .

12. No offence Tobes and he looks a decent prospect, but what 'better sides' would that be? <laugh>
    He had a good game against Citeh, but the rest of his PL games haven't been against the top sides as far as I can see. Definitely didn't help him having to carry Barry this afternoon.

13. crackerman jack

crackerman jack Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiment of this post but I don't think there is a better side than Spurs when they play like this at home in the PL. We have beaten Chelsea and Man City at home and they are the only teams Everton have played you could make a case for being better than us. Today we were pretty much full strength bar Davies for Rose. If we could have put this side out for the whole season we would be a lot closer to Chelsea than we currently are. And I stand by the fact our first 11 is the best first 11 in the league.

14. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I don't know if its just me but when we concede a stupid goal even if its a 5-1 win, it grinds my gears. So imagine 2 in one game ruining our defensive record. I'm not happy. I'd rather we won 1-0... I'm happy to take the 3 points though...I just believe these finer details are what stop us from achieving as oppose to being 'nearly men'.

15. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

Nobody should be too disappointed with the result as Spurs v Everton is often a close run thing. They had a good unbeaten run until today. No, today was a good win and I'd like us to buy Lukaku.

16. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I've always got something to moan about.

Ignore me DGC.

D.G.C. likes this.
  17. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

The better side won. It should have been by 2 or 3 clear goals. As has often affected us in the last couple of years, we failed to exploit periods of dominance and some really good chances. Lukaku's goal came from Vertonghen losing his footing. Without that freak occurrence, he never would have scored. Their second goal was just poor. Had we not scored our third, I would be incandescent with rage, However, our performance was excellent as a rule. This is the kind of game we would have ****ed up in years gone by. This team is learning. Since the early games with Kane out, courtesy of an injury, we have won the games where we've been the better team. That wasn't the case last season.

I can report back that South East London or a certain pub in Charlton has no love for Spurs. There were 2 Mousers in there and a whole load of people who had bet on them. Spurs supporters were limited to me and the Mrs. I enjoyed the final whistle hugely, although I had a fiver on 3 - 1.which went south with that ****ty late goal.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  18. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

To echo what DH said; Davies was absolutely superb this afternoon. Easily our MOTM (although Kane will deservedly win all the plaudits). With the news about Rose's second injury setback, seeing him grow into the LWB role is crucial. I've been perhaps harsh on him and Trippier at times this season, but maybe...just maybe...the wing-back role actually suits them.

Defensively we were a tad rusty, probably due to Jan and Toby both not being quite 100%. Eriksen and Alli both had 'meh' afternoons; the former actually took a couple of decent corners and free kicks which was a nice treat but it annoys me how easily he pulls out of challenges. I get that he's no Wanyama, but at this level it is so often the 50-50 balls that lead to a counter and a goal. The latter continues to spend far too much time flopping to the ground and moaning if a pass to him is marginally misplaced. When Our Lord and Saviour Saint Moussa came on, I was sure it would be Alli who would make way...but that stoppage time goal proves that he is nigh-on undroppable, for the simple reason that we don't have another midfielder who even comes close to matching his movement and anticipation in the box.

I was also very impressed with Kyle today. A performance that I would call extremely 'mature'. Pushed forward when he was absolutely sure it was safe to do so but otherwise had a very conservative game plan that completely limited Baines' ability to wreak havoc from the left, and repeatedly force Lukaku infield onto his less favoured right foot (the one that he still managed to score from <laugh>). Kyle of circa 2 years ago would've played recklessly and caught a mile out of position multiple times today. Two years on, and it's another top drawer performance <applause>

With City predictably winning today, the 3 points were crucial. The week after the FAC, Arsenal have a tough trip to WBA whilst City face Liverpool at the end of a 5-game-in-14-days-run. The week after that brings the Merseyside derby and Arsenal v City. Failure to take advantage of our rivals dropping points has been a problem since as long as I can remember (it was a consistent problem under Harry). Today was a massive step towards solving that problem. <ok>

19. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Posted by Kane's missus:

The Changing Man likes this.
  20. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

It was a big win marred slightly by poor defending at the end. The game turned on Kane's brilliant goal/Robles error. Till then Koeman had again won the tactical battle with Pochettino. Spurs were trying speculative crosses and shots Everton blocked, while Everton were looking lively and dangerous on the break, requiring a couple of excellent late tackles by Vertonghen and Dier. But when Spurs went up a goal they piled on the pressure and Everton lost their composure. Spurs could have and probably should have put the game out of reach in the next few minutes. A second goal off a brilliant pressing touch from Alli, again, should have put the game out of reach. But Vertonghen's slip and Lukaku's cool finish made it far too exciting at the end. Alli had a lovely goal off an excellent delivery from Winks, but Everton pulled one back at the end from a dead ball in a spot Spurs specialize in conceding from.

Kane was brilliant, again, and Alli was as well. Eriksen had a relatively quiet day, but those three may be as dangerous as any in the league when they're the sole attacking players. Dembele was excellent as usual, and Wanyama had one of his best days on the ball. Vertonghen had been having a great day till his slip. I didn't see who let Inner Mongolia go, but it was not good. Walker was strong as ever. I admire both Davies and Pochettino for making the system work without Danny Rose, though I think our CBs deserve some credit as well. Lloris got a finger to the first goal, but was abandoned for the second.

While the late wobble did nothing for my life expectancy, and was exactly the kind of thing we have come to expect, in fact Spurs have done as well with the lead as anyone in the PL this year. Similarly, Spurs bottling it is an old story, but it's different kind of bottling, I think, for a team that's been advancing on a two steps forward to one step back pattern for nearly a decade. Any improving team tend to stumble getting over new hurdles at first. Spurs certainly have done that, but they've also gotten over them eventually--so far.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.