1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v CSKA Moscow

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I hope so! To be fair, he's looked a lot better in the last couple of games now, so hopefully that's a turn around in form. Big Christmas period coming up!

Apparently there's doubts that United will play tomorrow due to a frozen pitch!
    Just our ****ing luck!

2. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

The most attackingest B team ... in the world. Ever.

3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Eriksen is a bit of a wimp in a physical game (it has to be said) tonight he was not under much threat and he thrived.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  4. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Very very nice! <ok>

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  5. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Job done. A few shaky moments at the back but we looked in control from the outset. Lots of positives to take from tonight:

- Eriksen putting in the sort of shift that endeared him to one and all last season
    - Winks with another calm, assured display. Wasn't great against Monaco but really kept things ticking over nicely today. Wouldn't mind seeing him start against United with Dembele pushed up into the '3' instead of Son, who was once again disappointing.
    - Toby looked understandably rusty (could've scored 2 as well!) but great to have him back.
    - Alli is working his way back to top form and the telepathic understanding we saw between him and Kane last season is steadily returning.
    - Kyle Walker :emoticon-0139-bow:
    - We've finally broken the Wembley hoodoo. As much as Poch insists that it doesn't matter, psychologically these things do make a big difference.

6. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

He made the point that it was important to win this game at Wembley to get used to our new home, so I think he also thought it was important psychologically. <ok>

7. And really like the look of GKN. Think he will fit in really well

Roo likes this.
  8. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

6 goals in 5 for Kane I think since his return.

Class playa.

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Just back from the game. It was a very weird atmosphere. Lots of empty seats which was disappointing but expected. I wonder what we'll do in sales at Wembley for EL games? I fear we may not sell enough to fill the entire ground and it might be better to restrict the capacity to 50,000 as we will have to do next season in the PL. The biggest cheer was at half time when Ledley came out on the pitch and for Toby's return.

I thought that we played pretty well and that winning and playing well was more important than resting players at this point in time. We don't play again until Sunday and that's plenty of time to rest at this stage of the season. Even if United don't play, the travelling to and from will take a greater toll on them than a nice win at Wembley will have done for us.

10. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Yes, it will be interesting to see the boot on the other foot. Can't remember the last time we faced a team after only they had to endure a trip to sub-zero temperatures in the Land that Time Forgot. The Ordinary One described the Luhansk pitch as 'rock hard' due to freezing conditions, which (hopefully) means lots of tired hamstrings and injuries. It's a must-win for them too if they want to finish top of the group.

In other news, apparently we have qualified for the EL last-32 as one of the 'best 4 third placed sides', which - apart from basically being a badge saying 'King of the Losers', also means that we drop into the competition seeded, and can only be drawn against a non-seeded side. Useful in a way but also increases the chances of us having to make our own trip to Never Never Land come February.

11. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

There's been a **** tonne of empty seats at WHL for Europa games in the past, so Wembley could look threadbare. <yikes>

12. Paulpowersleftfoot

Paulpowersleftfoot Well-Known Member

Congratulations
    Tottenham the first English club to qualify for the europa league 6 years running

No Kane No Gain likes this.
  13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Was pretty disgusted at the turnout, couldn't believe the amount of people who clearly opted not to come. **** supporters, in fact they don't even deserve the title of supporter.

Atmosphere was somewhat as best as it could be in periods, we kept going with the "being a yid" tune for a while but Wembley just isn't a great footballing stadium for me, way too far from the pitch and I won't be looking forward to trekking there every other week next season.

As for the game itself, if only we'd played like that more often in the competition!

Eriksen was absolutely sublime, finally getting back into form and boy does it show. He makes things look so easy when he's up for it and the team massively benefits because of that. One of the best creators in the game when firing on all cylinders.

Thought the full backs were also good, typical attacking display from them while they dealt with most of what came their way defensively.

Alli done well and took his goal superbly from Eriksen's cross but there are times this season where he's tried to do too much, sometimes the simple pass would be so much more effective than the customary nutmeg or back heel.

Winks looked good again, neat and tidy passes. He's cemented himself as a first team option now, it's not a bad set of guys to have challenging for those CM spots; Dembele is a unique talent who can rarely be tackled or out-muscled, Wanyama breaks up play, as does Dier plus he ****s you up if you get tasty and is also a threat from set pieces while Winksy is slowly becoming the "passer" of the group.

I hope now that we take Europa seriously and go all out for it, if the mentality of the old Jol side could be transferred in to this group, then we have every chance of winning this competition.

Well done lads.

COYS!

Roo and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  14. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I only went to the BL match, but I agree that the stadium just isn't as good as you'd expect it to be given the amount spent. Let's hope those issues are addressed in our new stadium (which I passed on the way home last night and is already looking impressive).

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah I live a 10 minute walk from The Lane and can see the cranes etc from my flat. I love it on match days when I walk past it, the new stadium seems to be progressing so quickly. Can't wait to go there in 18/19.

16. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Agreed mate. <ok>
    Was also nice to see GKN get more game time. Other than the shot that hit the moon, he was decent when he came on and really involved during his 30min spell. He looks exciting on the ball and has some real flair about him. Wasn't there another Frenchman who wore the number 14 spurs shirt that was a bit like that?!
    Really wanna see more of this lad now. He's had months to settle and looks like like he can offer something new to the team. About time Poch gave him a start in the PL, IMO.

Spur of the Moment and Dier Hard like this.
  17. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Agree that he is exciting...seems a bit brainless though. I think he's only good for 20 minute cameos. 90 minutes and a lot more would be hitting the moon.

Citizen Kane likes this.
  18. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Also, he works really hard. He's another Aaron Lennon in that regard, prepared to run back 70 yards but still able to torment full backs. He's getting on the pitch before Sissoko, so he must be working hard in training. Well, harder than he is, anyway.

Seeing Josh Onomah get on the pitch reminded me that he's not getting a realistic amount of football. Surely, a loan deal is better than nothing?

Thanks. You'll remember it being well beyond your lot before £2 billion of oil money was dumped into your club. You may think of yourselves as footballing royalty. However, the rest of us have longer memories, mate. I am still hearing tickets advertised for your games on TalkSport. Even The Spammers do it less than your lot.

19. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

You would have sucked my bollocks back in the day to be able to say that about your club blud klaat.

20. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Not enough being said about how wonderful to have Toby back out there on the pitch. He created the third goal with one of his typical passes and also produced some other defence piercing passes. We have sooooo missed his contribution to the attacking part of our team.