1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v CSKA Moscow

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 25, 2016.

1. RobSpur

RobSpur Well-Known Member

Last night was actually the first time ive watched him.

Everything looked very, very easy to him. To me, that's unusual.

2. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Spurf,

Ignashiev is 37 and has the turning circle of a block of flats. The Berezutski twins are 34. They are old and they are slow. We didn't show it up but it's the case nonetheless.

They've won 1 game in each of the last 3 CL Group Stages for which they've qualified and sold their best 2 players in the summer. It was a good result. We don''t have to win by 5 in each game and winning smart or ugly is a really good thing to do. I just want this team and squad to learn and grow into our best ever team. Last night was good, with the talent we have it can be better.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We'll have two. Worked against Gillingham, anyway! <laugh>

4. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

There is no new Modric! Which is why he's still a regular fixture in Real's starting X1.

If there was, there'd be every top club in Europe after him!...

5. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Slowly, slowly catchee monkey.

People say last season we burned out. I don't really agree with that, i think it was a mental breakdown, but anyway, now people are complaining that we are slow starters. Yet we're unbeaten in the league, sitting 2nd and we have an away CL win. We've only dropped points at home against Liverpool (a fairly big club) and away against Everton which is ALWAYS a tough place to go. This year they had new-manager bounce too.

Monaco was disappointing, but there were factors - first CL game for a lot of players, first CL game of the season, at home but really not at home etc etc.

Personally i'm ecstatic with how it's going right now and i would actually take a point vs City. Even this early a defeat and a 7pt lead is a big margin. 4pts however and any slip up and we'll be on them.

SpursDisciple likes this.
  6. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Have you ever tried playing football between blocks of flats, it ain't easy! <laugh> Years of experience against our boys. It's hard to get better than winning but I take your point.

7. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Superb win for you lot last night. Hope you all got back safely. Glad we didn't draw those nutters!

8. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

It's not just the Goons is it? Everton polished off Sunderland and we made a chore of it. However I just feel that the chores might be over.

9. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

I would very much like to see Lamela's stats for last night's game. Apart from the superb pass for Son's goal, I can recall only one other pass that was anything other than obvious/close range/simply offloading. Most of his passes went straight to the opposition. He lost possession quite a few times, too (cf Wembley/Monaco). Having impressively improved his workrate and team spirit over the last year, it is disappointing that his skills seem to have rapidly deteriorated recently. His performance was conspicuous in the wrong way. I do not share his own high opinion of his abilities. From what we've seen of Son, Sissoko and N'Koudou (wow!) in recent games, I'd not even have him on the bench. Currently vastly overrated. It gives me no pleasure to say this, but right now I wouldn't be sorry to see him go in January - and there's no way we'd recoup what he cost us. Just saying.

10. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

What I've noticed since AVB got here is that the single thing that correlates most with our playing well is getting the ball at the goal quickly. The method doesn't matter, it can be a long shot, a short shot or a cross. The reason seems to be both that our team thrives by creating chaos in the box and that a higher pace suits our fitter players. Lots of good things can happen when the ball heads towards the goal. Not only can it go in, it can be knocked out for a corner, or fall to one of our players. Even when the other team gets the ball, they may still give up a goal trying to pass through the high press. On the other hand, nothing helps the other team more than dawdling around the edge of the box, tapping it back and forth, and letting the other team park the bus and catch their breath.

I also agree with the point that good strategy makes the opposition make choices. We make it easy on defenses to the degree that we're predictable. We tend to get predictable threading the ball through defenders. I would argue it only worked yesterday when we established a credible wide threat that made them give us space.

Winks has been remarkably good, I agree. I wanted him to start rather than Alli, partly because Alli looked tired and partly because he is at heart an AM at this point. I have to say I don't share any negative opinion of Lamela. In fact, I think he's won us more points this year than any of our attackers but Son. The goal last night was more his perfect pass than Son's rather routine finish, IMO.

11. Have to say I pretty much agree with almost all assessments above - certainly the description of his performance last night.
    However..... I think there's still a really good player in there and wouldn't want to see him go anywhere just yet.

12. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

**** off

remembercolinlee and AKCJ like this.
  13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Oops sorry, I just read your name and replied.

Thanks mate...well done on your win too.

14. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

The one irrefutable good thing about yesterday is that we have got our furthest
    travel UEFA away game done and dusted 6 games into the PL campaign.

D.G.C. likes this.
  15. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

Lamela was expected by many unfairly to be the new Gareth Bale, and expectation up to which he cannot live.

16. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We were fine at it last night until we scored, but I felt that Janssen's presence was badly missed on that front.
    Removing him allowed us to change things up a bit and we took the lead because of it, but then we couldn't make it stick up top.
    He was doing well by keeping their centre-halves busy, making little touches here and there and being physical.
    He's struggling with the lack of good service and space, though.

17. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

You cannot claim that Lamela has not come close though on the stupid hairdo front. <Spurcat>

18. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

It's only the first stage in the initiation though.

Has he got beyond the silly coloured boots stage yet?

19. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

I have to say I enjoyed it and I thought we played very well. Both with Jannsen (held the ball up really well) and without him when we seemed to have lots of fast tricky interplay.

20. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

He was the one to mention Hoddle! Hoddle and Redknapp is the dream team.