1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Apr 19, 2017.

1. BobbyD

BobbyD President

My point was, Chelsea probably should have warranted more yellow cards for persistent fouling (19 fouls to 11 would sugges this) but compared to last year with some horrendous tackles and some ****tery from both sides, you can see why the yellow card is far lower than the 8/9 you received last year that people seem to think should have been doled out like candy for "consistency"

2. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

As I put earlier, imo the two worst culprits were Kante and Luiz, who both couldn't have complained had they been booked in the first 30 mins.

It wasn't a dirty game, but Atkinson let a lot go before he started bringing the cards out.

3. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I notice that this compilation only shows Chelsea players being fouled - No sign of Ivanovic on Rose that started it - if he had been correctly sent off by Clattenburg then the rest of the match probably passes off without the idiocy (on both sides) that followed Clattenburg made a rod for his own back in this match by failing to correctly apply the laws in the opening 10 mins. Saturdays fouls were not as bad, but Alli was targetted and had the ref booked a Chelsea player for the build up of fouls (As Oliver did with MU in the qtr final) then it is possible that the fouling may have been less frequent.

4. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Thanks for these Bobby. The sight of Fabricarse and Hazard writhing around in agony has cheered me up no end <cheers>

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

When did I say it was as bad as last year?

One of your lot brought up a "swings and roundabouts" comment with reference to our fouls last season, to which my comment a few minutes ago was based on us actually being punished for our fouls. Chelsea got away with a number of persistent fouls on Saturday, many were just as cynical as Toby's on Pedro in terms of preventing a player gaining an advantage and yet Luiz didn't even get a single booking, while Kante only got booked right at the end of the game. Perhaps if Alli and Kane rolled about like Pedro did then maybe the ref would've dished out more cards to your lot.

Your first line of your original comment was calling us whingers when you hadn't even seen the incidents we were whinging about, so was/ am I meant to take you seriously?

Having now read the rest of your original comment, it was pretty much as I expected - a few presumptions - along with saying you felt Moses' dive was a "hard one"? There's no justification for a dive. Son was dumb to dive in but Moses used that to cheat his way into gaining his side an advantage.

6. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's nice to see that second one actually show some of the **** that started it.
    Fabregas kicking out after 3 minutes: Red. Mikel stamping on the back of Dembele's ankle, then sticking his arm in his throat: Red.
    Costa just generally being Costa: About three reds.
    None of this was talked about after the match. None of it was criticised or focused on.

What did Clattenburg do? Nothing. Who got blamed for it all kicking off? Tottenham.
    If we just accept it and get on with it, then we probably lose and we're called spineless.
    If we return the behaviour, then it descends into chaos, we get blamed for it and we're called thugs.

If those that run the game didn't insist on weak refereeing as the way forward, then none of this would be necessary.

7. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Fair enough... I guess that was a bad start...

I mentioned moses dived for it. At the same time i've said those should be given as a foul which if Moses leaped over and lost the advantage because Son impeded him, the ref would bottle it and not give it. That's what i said it was a hard one because Son has fouled him in the sense he's stopped him from getting to the ball in a normal manner even if there was no contact. This is one of those fans will never agree on depending who it is for or against (same thing happened last year with Remy can't remember which club and then he slipped as he landed) and it's one Slippy G got given against Sheffield United a while back which i thought was the correct call even though i hate them both (pool and slippy)

I won't answer the Kante or Luiz ones as i haven't seen them. Hopefully some kind hearted bored bloke online will put up a video of it

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

He wouldn't have needed to jump or dive though. If he'd have simply continued his run, he would've likely been fouled. Instead he opted to con the referee into a decision.

Son equally pissed me off though because he should've never went in like that, giving Moses the chance to dive.

Pochettino has to take a massive amount of blame too, he's been a god send to our club but the bizarre decision to play a right-footed wing forward in a LWB role is just ludicrous. If Davies wasn't fit to start the game (which I'm not even sure if that was the case anyway), then the obvious solution in my eyes would be to either play one of the left footed CBs there in Wimmer or Vertonghen or play one of the RWBs there as they know the role well, albeit likely to be a bit tougher being on their weaker side.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Or just pick the same personnel in a 4-2-3-1. And pick Walker at right-back.

10. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

When I saw the team and heard that Davies was not fit enough to play the whole game, I foolishly thought we'd gone back to that formation. Conte bIinked in his selection and we threw that advantage away.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017

11. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

It's easier to blink if you have a one-man advantage from kickoff...

12. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I know.....but Conte's selection suggested he thought their usual line up would get a going over. He decided to gamble on changing strategy. He knew Victor and Mousa were too strong and they went long-ball to pacier forwards. Had we played our normal game, I'm pretty sure that when Hazard and the others came on in the second half, we'd have been in the lead.

Given how much better we've been against them this season, we didn't need to gamble. I hope MP has learned from this for next season. We've struggled against The Mousers and yet we played so predictably at Anfield and got well done over. The change was needed for that game not this one. MP needs to get over the problems he has against other top sides or we'll come close but never smoke the cigar.

13. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Let me know when you have posted up all the Chelsky fouls only that happened
    in that game.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.