1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Apr 19, 2017.

1. And I certainly raised the handball and considered it cancelling out the penalty - which despite the obvious dive, was a ridiculous decision by Son.

remembercolinlee and BobbyD like this.
  2. BobbyD

BobbyD President

i see... i was just asking as you quoted spurfs who obviously had an issue with my post and thought i was posting a load of guff

3. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

My take on that game is probably slightly different to most. I remember seeing that Hazard and Costa were benched and feeling good about it. Until I saw our line-up.

Pochettino said that maybe Son was naive for that tackle attempt that gave the penalty, I think that Pochettino was naive to play Son as a wing back.
    In my humble opinion, he should have been our impact sub. All of our best cards were on the deck. We went all in. Conte did a great job. He knew that our best 11 beats theirs if both start at the beginning. What Chelsea have that we don't is is an amply deep squad. So he managed the game. Conte played chess whilst Pochettino played checkers. He tired us out, then subbed in the big guns. (Many have done this before.)

Wanyamma should never have been taken off. With him on, the last two Chelsea goals probably don't happen.

N'Koudou is not the yet sub you bring on at the expense of Wanyamma against Chelsea in a cup semi-final when you need to turn it around with a goal threat.

I'd have much rathered Son come on later for Davies with Wanyama on for the full length that what happened.

I believe though that the lesson will be learned and necessary acquisitions made in the upcoming window. We need three quality strikers who can rotate. So we could bring Kane on late in a game to make a difference sometimes just because. Or even bring on another striker that gives them something to think about.

I hope we grab Dembele from Celtic or even Gabbiadini from Southampton as wishful as that may be. We also need a couple more AMs that would actually challenge Dele Eriksen and Son even if they are young players. Gray or Bruma or even Zaha, I think N'koudou is a good player, but he isn't at the required level yet for these games. If Lamela was fit for example, it would have been a different game entirely.

We also need more depth in defensive areas. I believe Pochettino and Levy know this. It's worth noting that when we beat Chelsea we had our best back five, plus Wanyama on the pitch. On both occasions when we lost we were either short of Aldereireld or Rose (and Wanyama) in this case.

If Walker and Rose played, the first two goals, and the defensive mistakes that led to them, probably don't happen.

I have faith that the experience will put us in good stead for improvements as the creases gently get ironed at.

Just as they have for the last few seasons.

Tilly'sowner and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Stopped reading after that because chances are you're gonna base your whole point on "probably's" and "presumption's" and know near enough sod all about what happened during the match.

5. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

First post or even look at the thread since Saturday. Only now coming out of depression.
    That said , I feel guilty to say a football game/result can put me in that state after what Rocky-you have had to endure. My deepest condolences.
    Similarly to Ugo's family.
    And a huge difference, I am sure Leyton Orient fans would love to be moaning about losing an F. A. cup semi-final and be playing the quality of football we are.
    Having now read through the thread, many have already made all the comments about team selection, bad reffing and 4 goals conceded by the best defence in the PL this season with set pieces and 1 in a 100 shots. But no-one has mentioned post match that at 2-2 we were denied a clear penalty when Ake scissored Dele. And , don't give me ''he got the ball first'' because when a penalty is given when a player is hauled down in the box when the ball is still in the air and hasn't even reached it's destination-no-one has yet got the ball first. In fact, it has been quickly forgotten because the incident was barely shown.
    Score that penalty and we also have a different game on our hands.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  6. chelsea - over 100 years of history

No one mentioned the ake one because it was so clearly not a pen.

Not one to gloat but have to enjoy the moaning over the persistent fouling given how proud some of you were with the challenges being made when Spurs lost the plot at the bridge last year. What goes around and all that. Not that the 2 games are even remotely comparable.

7. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Do you have a name and phone number <whistle>

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  8. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Welcome back mate <ok>

9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the FA Cup final just be a kickabout between Twatkinson and Poorson? They had more of a bearing on who is playing in the final than any of the eleven players in the respective teams did.

The Changing Man likes this.
  10. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

At least three Chelsea players and one Spurs player should have seen red in the first half. If Clattenburg had acted on the first incident it is unlikely that the rest would have occurred

11. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Chelsea fans still missing the point I see The one thing that links the game at the bridge last season and the semi final is that they were both refereed poorly. I am not going over all of Saturdays issues again its all on here, and I dont expect Chelsea fans to agree but I know what I saw and it was a match where the officials were inept and that includes missing the Lloris hand ball.

12. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Ivanovic assaulted Rose very early in the match and I maintain that had the correct action been taken by the ref at that point the match would have been totally different.

paultheplug likes this.
  13. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

And those two refs are supposed to be our best!

14. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I think the sad truth and reality of football nowadays is that more often than not, you'll see poor officiating throughout a game. I watched El Clasico last night and actually laughed at some of the decisions they were so bad - and this in probably the biggest game of club football in the world. Yet it is rapidly becoming the norm and seeing a game that is well officiated is now a rare privilege.

There is no question that video replays will have to become an integral part of the game, with the 4th or 5th official playing a role of almost equal importance to the officials actually on the field of play. I think that technology isn't doing refs any favours as their blunders and mistakes are broadcast to the world and his dog within 2 seconds of happening, in crystal clear HD colour and from 16 different angles. Are officials getting worse, or are we just more aware of their mistakes? If a referee gets a big penalty call wrong because of the fact that he is bound by the space-time continuum and therefore cannot see the angle from behind the goal in slow motion (but the 300 million people watching can), does that make him a 'bad' ref or just 'good' technology?

The contradiction here is that the PL is currently pursuing an unspoken 'three line whip' whereby refs who 'let it flow', to quote PNP, are adulated to the skies - for the simple reason that fast, free-flowing games attract more and more paying viewers from across the globe, and the money continues to pour into the PL coffers. Video technology, even if each team is only allowed to challenge 3 decisions per game (as has been suggested), would totally undermine this rule as games could theoretically be broken up with 1-2 minutes delays every 10 minutes or so.

Naas Blue, Lovearsenalcock and BobbyD like this.
  15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

What's also worth noting is that our lads were actually punished for their fouls at the bridge. We picked up something ridiculous like 9 or 10 yellow cards - not to mention a retrospective ban, too!

On Saturday Chelsea picked up just 2 yellows, when there should have been at least 4 or 5 which would've also been a second yellow for some.

The inconsistency is shocking.

16. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

And now that we're on the subject, Yaya Toure had this to say earlier:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39694245

He'll get a wrist slap for it, no question. But maybe what's needed is for more high-profile players (not managers, they don't command the same influence as a top name player) to basically come out and say 'enough is enough'. Maybe then the FA will take notice.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  17. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Lol seriously, are you trying to compare the persistent fouling from last weekend to this:

If you want something a bit more rounded watch the 2nd one (dunno if theres one purely on chelseas misdemeanours) but is a lot longer and basically just show costa being he's usual thuggish self.

The number of terrible spurs challenges in the video is why you got the yellows. Not the number of fouls. Most of those are borderline straight reds.

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

<laugh> You admitted you didn't even see the match on Saturday and yet you're trying to make comparisons.

19. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I think if it was as filthy as last year:

1. i would no doubt hear it from either the spurs fans, the media, the chelsea fans, youtube or the neutrals. The only thing i've got so far is the persistent fouling.

2. My original post had about 4 points raised from it. Bar the persistent fouling which i do not have a view on, i thought all 3 were spot on and no one else has questioned them. Seeing you didn't bother to read the posts then i'm not sure you can have an opinion on them.

Lastly, rather than criticising what i have wrote, you can either agree or disagree. If you think last weekends match had as many bad challenges, as many players winding each other up and if it was as bad tempered as last year (which people were making comparissons to with respect to the yellow cards), please can you argue that point rather than belittling what i have wrote...

20. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Some of it was the same, yes. In the game at SB last season Chelsea tried the intimidation tactics right from The off. Admittedly our lot went overboard in retaliation, but it was in retaliation to the provocation that had gone before.

Edit: Anyway, you took your chances - we didn't. Yes we gifted you two goals with stupid mistakes, but we can't really complain. Plus MP made some tactical errors.

I think the big difference, the one that decided the game, was that your quality of squad depth is far greater than ours.