1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Nov 25, 2016.

1. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

If we had 18 million for Janssen and 30 million for Sissoko then we had 48 million for a top striker. I'm sure the combined wages of the 2 would have gone some way to covering the wages of said striker. If we're going to spend that sort of money then we should blow it on someone proven, preferably in the premier league although i would have loved to see Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang in a Spurs shirt.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  2. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Aren't there one or two players with skill in the lower leagues who will run themselves into the ground for us instead of our latest travesties?

3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

CK you are not taking into account the pull that Liverpool have. They were the worlds dominant club for a few seasons, they have a huge world wide fan club, That counts with young players when choosing where to go.

4. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I heard none of these hindsight judgments before the recent poor run. It's very easy to be wise after the event and very difficult to cater for all eventualities in a sport that has more than a small amount of luck in it's make up.. From player availabilty, fixture timing, to form, to ref decisions there are many many split hair decisions and chances to make it impossible and, of course, very exciting.

vimhawk and littleDinosaurLuke like this.
  5. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

True, but losing your solid central defensive partnership and main source of goals for a while was always likely to have some impact, without adequate replacements to step in. In other words, lack of strength in depth of the quality required to complete at the level you want to be at.

6. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

My point is meant to demonstrate the exact opposite. Despite having a stronger pull, they are working hard to put the days of Carroll, Markovic, Benteke and Balotelli behind them and instead spend sensibly and frugally when stocking up their bench. Sturridge and Can are vastly superior options coming off the bench than Janssen and Sissoko, yet cost £21m less.

If Liverpool under Klopp are seeking to spend more wisely, it goes without saying that we should too.

Look, I think this all boils down to the Sissoko debacle. A debacle which had more to do with foresight and less to do with hindsight. To hear Poch come out and say 'I expected more from him' - hearing him publicly slam one of his players like that - I just thought 'what on earth did you expect?! Are you seriously that naiive Mauricio that you would spunk the rare opportunity to spend big by signing a professional donkey?!'

7. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I get your general point Spurf but virtually all of us said WTF? when news broke that we were in for Sissoko on deadline day.
    None of us foresaw Janssen having these problems but many were questioning why we only bought one striker.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Citizen Kane likes this.
  8. bigsmithy9

Two strikers that can't strike. (Penalties apart!)

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Aubameyang will never sign for us due to the stuff that happened about 4 years ago, said in an interview earlier this year if we ever came back in for him he'd point blankly refuse.

But no striker worth £40m+ would join us on the basis of being a second choice to Kane anyway, unless Poch changed the formation to 4-4-2 which in this day and age is a rarity due to the importance of stacking up the midfield.
    We had to try and be smart by signing someone of good pedigree yet with the understanding that Harry would be the main man, Janssen on paper looked that sort; Young, top scorer in Eredivisie and had a seemingly similar style to Harry, unfortunately so far it hasn't worked out for him but that's football, not all signings will hit the ground running straight away, he still has plenty of time to change his luck though. Thankfully now that Harry's back, the pressure on Janssen to be 'brilliant' will be relieved and hopefully with a bit of time training with Harry, watching him play etc, he can improve his game and adjust to the style of play for him to start banging in goals.

10. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

I think that many of us were so grateful that we signed a striker after criminally going through
    a whole season with one that any punt would do . A famine diet of proven ready to go quality signings have
    lead us to low expectations on the transfer front .

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

In regards to overspending on Sissoko, yeah that really is a ****ter as every Spurs fan knew he wasn't a £30m player, although some (well, myself really <laugh>) felt that having an added option was better than no option at all. Sadly Sissoko looks like he's already Townsend-ing his way out of the side while his on-field performances have done nothing to make us think Poch is making the wrong choice by excluding him from the squad. HOWEVER, while we did overspend on the Frenchman, we actually generally spend very wisely for the most part, most of our first team squad with the exception of Sissoko, Lamela, Son and Janssen were bought individually for £15m or less, when considering the current prices in the market, that's bloody good business and a credit to Levy/ Manager/ Scouts:

Hugo - £12m/ Vorm - £3m
    Walker - £3m/ Tripps - £3.5m
    Toby - £12m/ CCV - Free
    Jan - £11m/ Kev - £4m
    Rose - £1m/ Davies - £11m
    Dier - £4m/ Wanyama - £11m
    Dembele - £15m/ Winks - Free
    Lamela - £27m/ Sissoko - £30m
    Eriksen - £12m/ Onomah - Free
    Alli - £5m/ Son - £22m/ GKN - £11m
    Kane - Free/ Janssen - £17m

Of those big money buys, we'd get our money back on Lamela & Son I'd say, so the losses on Janssen & Sissoko (so far) would be made up for by the tremendous profits we'd make on other players.

12. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I think your's is the point SoS. The fact is that transfers under MP have been for the most part very successful. Just compare it to past managements. I think you will find we have had some of our most successful transfer windows under MP.
    So following a poor run of form and bad luck with suspensions/injuries it is churlish IMO to be heaping such criticism on the management team who have taken Spurs to levels not seen for many years.
    We will all be pissed off with recent games, mainly because our expectations were raised by last season, but I think you need to keep a perspective and remember how fickle football can be. Mouriniho wins the league with Chelsea and the following season is sacked following the abysmal performance of his team, So he's not good enough for Chelsea but he is apparently for that unknown little team Manchester United. Yeah right!
    That's football, but we do know if you look at past great football teams they all shared one thing; consistency of management. All failed when they changed regimes.
    In MP we have easily our best manger for years IMO we need to support him and use a little patience when things go badly. The alternative is to continue the merry go round of managers that has brought us nothing too much for years and year and years.

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Couldn't agree more. Poch is the best thing that's happened to us in yonks. Redknapp had been my favourite Prem manager followed by Jol but Poch succeeds them both. He not only took over a side that initially had expensive flops but he's entrusted the youth to help raise our profile, bought wisely and has players that really want to play for this club, not just the money we pay. As a fan I've not felt as close to the club as I have since his management, something about his philosophy and the way his approach has rubbed off on players and fans has created a great atmosphere around the place. The sheer fact we still sit fifth after having had 8 or so players out for spells in just 13 games, some simultaneously with others - including our two best in Harry and Toby - it's a credit to him and the squad to have remained competitive in the Prem.

I'm tired of the manager merry-go-round at the club, unless we end up in a real **** spell in which the club is in relegation spots come Feb/ March and talk of losing the dressing room (which I can't see as being likely) then I want Poch here for the long term and just let him build a project - if it fails then it's nothing different to what we've experienced anyway but it's about time we entrust a manager for a sustained period of time. There's bound to be blips, some he can be in control of and some he can't, just like the current injury situation but in general he's done a brilliant job and deserves many more years at the helm in my opinion.

14. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Well said SoS <ok>

Dier Hard likes this.
  15. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Well said SOS and Spurf <ok><ok>

Dier Hard likes this.
  16. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Yes well said and echo all that.

Dier Hard likes this.
  17. bigsmithy9

I saw a center forward going through the Huddersfield defence like a knife through butter.Plays for Wigan.Maybe from Holland............get the scouts down there and other places in Britain.Must be some gold dust waiting to be picked up......

18. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm guessing that you're talking about Yanic Wildschut: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanic_Wildschut
    Seems rather... underwhelming?

19. bigsmithy9

Well he was no winger in that game. I'd never seen him before that I can recall. Only 25....and goes for goal.
    We just bought a center forward who usually has his back to the goal and doesn't seem to go anywhere......
    If Spurs want to continue throwing money away I'll send them my address.I'd like a few million in the bank!

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

If we're to look at strikers in the lower leagues, then Britt Assombalonga would be a good punt. Scores for fun but only problem is he's been plagued by injuries of late.

Goals thus far:
    Wealdstone - 6 in 11
    Braintree - 5 in 5
    Southend - 15 in 43
    Peterborough - 23 in 43
    Forest - 22 in 43