1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Mar 31, 2017.

1. On the balance of probability we will end up needing Wimmer at some point over the next 2 months so would be worth playing him against Swansea and/or Watford to get his game legs going for potentially tougher outings. :emoticon-0148-yes:

SpursDisciple likes this.
  2. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

After Wednesday we've got 2 more midweek games - away at Palace in 3 weeks time and the game to be rearranged with Leicester. So, it's mostly 1 game a week from here in and the players should be conditioned to do that. It's easy not to feel tired when you're winning, so it's simple, we need to keep winning.

Hopefully, in some of the games coming up, we can get a sufficient lead to give Mousa and Victor a rest in the second half and bring Sissoko on to start his farewell tour. If we're a couple of goals up against Watford or Bournemouth, then it's time to start managing players like those two and Son, as replacements are in very short supply if they get knocks.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Time for some of our fringe players to step up and prove they're worth their places in the squad.
    Onomah, N'Koudou, Walker-Peters and Carter-Vickers can be added to the list of players already mentioned.
    Even the likes of Edwards and Sterling could pick up spots on the bench, if things don't work out on the injury front.

I think we're still fine at the moment, though.
    We're still picking up plenty of points despite missing a few players.
    Hopefully Pochettino's got those that haven't been playing much well prepared to come in and do a job.

4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

WTF Pochettino does not trust Wimmer in a back three etc I know not.
    Even though he has not performed as well as last season he is hardly
    Keystone Kops level.

Sissoko is just key player de-risking once we have a good lead.

And N'Koudou, well I guess he is here to keep the N' alphabetic progression
    going (N'J(ie) , N'K(oudou) - I look forward to N'L(something) being signed
    in the summer) .

5. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Fish N'Chips

Pie N'Mash

**** N'Gone

remembercolinlee likes this.
  6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Man was it a long day on Saturday. We were up at 05:30, had to get a rental car from Victoria, was roughly four hours each way excluding a couple piss-stops.

Worth it in the end though. First half was dire and I was beginning to regret making the journey but we really livened up in the second half, thought Eriksen and Dier were great, Dembele helped things roll and Alli also grew into it, his pass for Son's goal was class. Thought the full backs had poor games, both mis-controlled a number of passes and neither really done much going forward. Sissoko was ****ing dreadful though, why the **** are we still persisting with him when we could be giving chances to Onomah or Nkoudou? Rather stick my Nan on the pitch over him.

Winksy looked really bad, fair play to the Burnley crowd as they all applauded him off the pitch when he was stretchered away. We didn't really see what happened to Wanyama but hopefully he'll be OK to play Wednesday or at least on the weekend.

Really good three points in the end, Burnley have taken a few scalps at Turf Moor and the fact results went our way over the weekend made it so much sweeter.

7. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Our persistence with Sissoko is indeed baffling with so much young talent waiting in the wings for precisely his position. I can only assume it is part of a ploy to keep him in the shop window for as long as possible without totally compromising our season, so that when we offload him in the summer we'll make as much cash back as possible.

8. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

In any case, fitness congestion, fatigue in general, and loss of motivation when a key target became unreachable all seemed to play a part in last year's collapse. The players and the manager have shown some signs that they're going to do better handling these issues this year, but we'll see if they continue to.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Remember the talk about The FA cracking down on players confronting referees?

please log in to view this image

So when will The FA charge Ben Mee for violating that rule on Saturday?

Sorry, maybe I should ask the more pertinent question...will The FA charge Ben Mee for violating that rule on Saturday?

10. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Yeah, during the game I was thinking, he's basically another Charlie Adam for us.

One was enough! <grr>

11. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Didn't mention it on MOTD = No.

12. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Excellent summary. I might quibble only at the demonization of Sissoko. He was awful Saturday. But he's had his moments at other times, and most players have contributed next to nothing their first year since Pochettino has been in charge. I think the real points are that, given that's the case, there's no reason to buy a 28 year old, let alone one you pay 30 million for; and nobody should be too eager for the job of selecting a team's transfer targets when that team has a limited budget and first rate young-ish players in all 11 spots.

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

N'L(rashford)

Citizen Kane likes this.
  14. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Alli, a great role model <ok>

15. Yes - and no.... could have let Mee twat the ref and get sent off <laugh>

That was a ridiculous overreaction by Mee. Ploughed through the back of Janssen, trampled all over him and then starts screaming at him - and then the ref - like some mad Banshee. Bizarre!!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah in fairness to him he did have a good month of games when we played Swansea, Hull, Burnley and then Southampton but those aside he's been a hindrance on the pitch.

It's annoying as you can tell he does have great ability but he's too much like Adebayor for my liking, only turns it on once it's absolutely necessary, IE playing for a new contract/ move to a bigger club, once he's got what he wanted, he relaxes.

EDIT: I don't even bother too much about the price tag now, football's gone mad over the past 12 months so there's no point batting an eyelid at £30m prices anymore but it's the player himself that frustrates me. Just doesn't look enough on a regular basis.

17. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I honestly think some, not all African players(I know he plays for France) give up the fight once they make it because the foot is in the door and the money will roll in...football was their key to riches. Helped them escape the poverty..it's the poverty they escape it's not a passion for the game like we have. We would probably have more chance of becoming pro footballers if we were African because that is one of a few escapes from poverty...so if I've got it..I give it everything...now I'm fortunate enough to become a pro....my passion has died...goal achieved...kercching. Hence why they only turn up when it's contract renewal season or a move is been manoeuvred. It's what I see..like I say not all.

I think some kind of personality tests need to be introduced...but then we all knew what Ade is about and what Sissoko is about.

Dier Hard likes this.
  18. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I disagree. Rare it is indeed that you will see a professional footballer so incapable of doing even the most basic of things effectively.

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

There's not much to back him up on in terms of Spurs form but in December as I said before he did begin to look really good. Plus, when Newcastle stuffed us 5-1 in the final game of last season, he was superb and MOTM and then he was excellent in the Euros (which refers to my point of playing when it matters to him).

If that Sissoko showed up more often he'd have been a great option in the squad but he hasn't and I've now lost all patience with him.

20. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

He outshone Pogba at the Euros so he's obviously got something about him.

His problem, imo, is that he only plays when he feels like it - which isn't often with us. Maybe the fee, the praise he got for his performances at the Euros, etc, has all gone to his head!

He thinks he's the big 'I am' and expects to be treated as such. MP has obviously stuck a pin in his bubble, and that's most likely why they don't get on!