1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Mar 31, 2017.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Does any football team exemplify the Tory ideal better than Chelsea?

2. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Most clubs were formed out of a desire to play sport which developed into professional competition. Chelsea were formed by a group of businessmen to make profit, having seen the success of other professional football clubs in London. They are a completely capitalist invented entity.

They've been spectacularly bad at it over the years. The big stand in the 70's crippled them and Bates bought them for £1 in the 80's. They were bust again and hours away from a winding up order when Abramovich turned up. Now they 'make money' if you ignore the £2 billion their owner has put in to make it so.

3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

They had a shot of Ken Bates on the MOTD yesterday, and once again the Spanners
    have been outdone. They think they are socially friendly with their "kids for a quid" stuff.
    Well, Ken Bates outdid you over 30 YEARS AGO with CLUB for a quid.

4. humanbeingincroydon

If anything it gets far more Tory than that: a couple of businessmen bought the ground's lease in the hope of having the already-established Fulham play there in order to give them an instant return on their investment, but when Fulham refused they had to create a club.

It's also worth suggesting that the way the club destabilised the transfer market since Abramovich took over, both when it comes to gazumping other clubs' transfer bids as well as their habit of hoarding players for the sole purpose of preventing other clubs from having them, is strikingly Thatcherian in its approach.

5. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

More Trump than Tory, to me. They win, sure, but only thanks to Russian money.

6. LuisDiazgamechanger

I think only Tottenham have the better chance of catching Chelsea, and you need Manchester city to beat them at Stamford Bridge and you beat Watford.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    redwhiteandermblue likes this.
  7. humanbeingincroydon

If hopes rest on City bothering to show up, that's not a good sign.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  8. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

A draw in the Chelsea-City match isn't entirely inconceivable, and would (if we beat Swansea) pile the pressure on the chavs with two tricky away games coming up against B'mouth and United. It isn't that far fetched to put money on their next 3 games coming out as: DWL, which if we can beat Swansea, Watford and B'mouth would see us move to within 2 points of them before the FAC showdown at Wembley - a match which will have as much psychological bearing on the title race as any major PL game.

The worry I have is that Chelsea have by far the easier run-in after the semi-final and even if the gap closes to just a handful of points, I can't see them losing the title. I that happens and we push them all the way to the death, I will be immensely proud of our achievements nonetheless.

9. humanbeingincroydon

My main worry is that the Burnley win becomes a Pyrrhic victory: we won the game, but at a cost which ultimately ended any chance of reducing their lead.

Winks' injury has certainly ruled him out for the business end of the season, while the two matches we have this week mean that Wanyama and Janssen picking up knocks is more of a worry than if we didn't play again until the weekend.

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think Wanyama will be ok, but Winks is a real loss and I think he'll be out for the rest of the season, unfortunately. Looked bad.
    Janssen just had cramp, though. He should be fine. Probably just down to a lack of training because of his illness in the international break.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  11. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I didn't see the match, how was Janssen playing up to the point he had to go off?

12. humanbeingincroydon

Burnley's players were kicking lumps out of him, which means he had to be doing something right...

13. humanbeingincroydon

The best Trump avatar is currently in the Man Utd dugout

14. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

He did pretty well. Wasn't much of a goal threat, but held the ball up well and provided a target.
    The team didn't really function in the first half, so he didn't get any service, but he worked hard and put himself about.
    As Croydon suggests, he took a few whacks, but that's true of half of the team. Burnley were quite physical.

15. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Burnley have definitely mastered the 'half foul'. Such a niggling, scrappy team that rely on completely disrupting opponents' flow and rhythm to gain points. Dyche strikes me as the type of person who could start an argument with a pavement, so I guess they all get this approach from him.

What was good about the 2nd half in particular was seeing Eriksen finally bring back the physical side to his game - the side that has been absent since approximately the Arsenal away game last season. Him fighting for the ball was Lamela-esque and led to our best chances of the game, including the crucial 2nd goal.

PhysioRoom has both Vic and Vince as returning for the Swansea game - although my suspicion is that Janssen will be on the bench anyway and Son will lead the line. Kane is down for a return against B'mouth. I sincerely hope he is ok to start that game as getting 90mins under his belt prior to Chelsea will be pivotal. The only bad news is Rose, who is sadly back to 'no return date' :headbang:

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  16. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

MP has said in his press conference that Harry Winks has a twisted ankle and "it will be really difficult for him to play again this season."

Bollocks

17. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I thought that they were just fouling blatantly at times, to be honest.
    The knee to Wanyama's back which saw him eventually go off was a prime example, which MOTD left out, as usual.
    Jumps in, leads with his knee and his arm and it goes unpunished. Can't work out how that's not a foul.

Most of Burnley's players are just competitive and physical, which is fine.
    They've got one or two that go beyond that, though and that's not.
    Barton's always capable of losing it, but Barnes sets out to do it from the start, from what I've seen of him.
    There's a difference between competitive and dirty and he's on the wrong side of the line, for me.

No Kane No Gain likes this.
  18. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

We could do with Tom Carroll back, severely depleted in Centre Midfield now, especially if you count Dier as a central defender. Only Dembele, Wanyama and Sissoko. Otherwise bring Dier forward and trust Wimmer/CCV in a 3 man defence.

19. And a face that looks like he's lost a few!! <laugh>