1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Dec 16, 2016.

1. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

If I remember Spurcat's story rightly, Clive Allen already told him just that :D

Couldn't believe how bad he and the other commentator were trying to act like Dier's challenge was a penalty, until they saw all the replays and reluctantly accepted he got the ball.

2. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

I think the media have no extra hate for Spurs . It all about exaggerating incidents where they
    become the focus of reporting . Sensationalism over hard facts is the way it works and makes listening to the like of crap Talkshite impossible . Things are generally dumbed down , look in many cases how the main news bulletins are , they tend to use the same tactics . It's the modern experience , but we are lucky that we can have intelligent balanced discussion ( not including myself of course ) on our happy forumn which is making the main
    media more irreverent as time passes .

Sid is a very happy bunny and will have Cheese on toast while watching MOTD with a little glass of Farmer Perkins
    Organic but not certified cider . Not too much as her upstairs won't stop nagging if l full a sleep on the sofa all night .

Keep it up
    Sid

3. No Kane No Gain

The ref wasn't even warning them, he was helping them out.

4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Actually, if cousin Martin (Allen) still does it, try BBC radio London commentary
    as your audio when Spurs games are on. He is unbiased whatever London team
    are playing, and the commentator banter is good.

5. The RDBD

6. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Another unconvincing performance but a crucial 3 points and finally a nice 10 day rest for some of these players to recover.

As I said during the game, I think Kane has been carrying an injury for the past few weeks and has been attempting to play through it. His movement and running looked uncharacteristically sluggish - that Eriksen shot that drew a good save from Heaton would've been tucked away on the rebound by a circa 2015 Kane, but he looked so flat-footed and rooted to the spot. I appreciate that he isn't getting the service that he deserves, but he wasn't receiving it early in the season and still looked infinitely...busier.

Dodgy performances from Hugo and Dier - the latter of whom convinces me with each passing game that his best position is now in midfield, the CB boat has very much sailed after a year not playing there.

Running out of superlatives for Danny Boy. He is Lamela with an end product and a brain: the drive, the energy, the commitment, the intelligent play when under massed pressure. Put in some superb crosses and his goal was reminiscent of Bale in his pomp. Hopefully his knock isn't too bad as while I have a lot of time for Davies, he isn't fit to lace Rose's boots at the minute.

Another accomplished, calm performance for young Mr Winks. We obviously need to find more academy prospects with the name 'Harry' as this lad has a massive future ahead of him. Such a delight watching a player with all of 3 hours' PL experience under his belt play with such assured confidence. Every single one of his passes is made intelligently and accurately. A sheer delight to watch his progress.

Another good cameo from my favourite summer signing <laugh>. Probably would've seen red had we been playing at Anfield or Old Trafford, but some of his forays forward are breathtaking to see and really do give the opposition what to think about.

Pleased for Dele that he got his goal, but another sloppy, confused performance. This season is critical for him: he is a marked man with a reputation for a bit of a temper and opposition managers up and down the country will be telling their players to double up on him and leave a boot or two in. He needs to rise to the occasion and show the league that he is better than them.

MOTM is a no-brainer. Daniel Rose, take a bow son. Take a bow.

7. The RDBD

3. Posted by Gaz
    on 32 minutes ago
    Well done to Spurs. Hard luck to a Burnley side I have a lot of respect for, but the anti-Tottenham bashing by the Beeb is getting tedious now.

8. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Lots still to work on as we head into the second half of the season, but we're still 4 points better off than we were this time last season, despite lots of under par performances.

Thought Rose, Winks and Vertonghen were brilliant today. Winks' calm style of play is quite amazing for a lad of his age. It's no wonder poch trusts him and he's gradually getting more and more minutes. Another brilliant performance.

Don't want to go into the negatives because I won't be saying anything hat hasn't already been discussed. But I think it's becoming more apparent week by week that we need to bolster our attacking options.

3 much needed points to help the confidence going into Christmas, and arsenal lose 2 games on the bounce. Merry Christmas everyone. <ok>

9. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

This prompts me to post again the story I told on here a few years ago, when I was at Fulham behind the goal. Spurs were warming up under the guidance of Clive Allen and Tony Gale passed by, caught Clive's eye and said Hiya Clive.

Allen responded by saying **** off.

I don't know why, but Gale hates us.

10. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

The team hasn't clicked in any way yet this season for a number of reasons - we've relied on individual performances from various players to win us games. At least we remain defensively sound. And that has kept us in touch despite having quite a few problems so far this term. Summer signings (Vic aside) haven't pushed on yet which is a bit of a concern. Hopefully Janssen picks up once he recovers from his knock. We definitely need another attacking player in Jan, maybe 2 - a winger/AM for sure and possibly another no. 9.

Still, to be 3 points off 2nd at this stage is not a disaster by any means and if we can find a way to get the team performances out of, as Danny put it recently, "3rd gear", then we should at least be able to push for CL. Chelsea are the only outstanding team in this year's vintage and even they couldn't take us apart at the Bridge in a game we played with a makeshift back 4. So if we can add the right offensive player in Jan then I could be encouraged to be cautiously optimistic for this season, especially if we can put together a run in the Cup.

11. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

300+ games for that ****hole of a club will do that to you.

12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

If anything, it's because Poch routinely skewers their attempts to create a Narrative in his press conferences.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  13. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Reporter: "There's been speculation this week about Eric Dier's future. He's been linked with Bayern and Chelsea. Any truth to it?"
    Pochettino (looking bewildered): "No. He's important and just signed a new contract."
    Story: RIP

14. humanbeingincroydon

Another favourite of mine...

Clickbait Monger: There's renewed speculation that maybe Manchester United could come in...
    Poch: *rolls eyes*
    Clickbait Monger: ...for (Harry Kane) in January...
    Poch: *bemused nodding of head*
    Clickbait Monger: ...what do you think when you hear things like that?
    Poch: *wry smirk*

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

It's hard to misquote someone who won't actually say anything! <laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  16. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

My favourite was when their was a story about us bidding for Aguero...he was asked about it just before we played them and he just burst out laughing. <laugh>

17. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Tony Gale...claims Dier's tackle on Grey looked like it was a penalty, then when it was proven to be a very good tackle says "Dier was lucky to get the ball first or it would have been a penalty" <doh>

18. No Kane No Gain

Poch SILENT On Kane To United Rumours

Speculation of Harry Kane's imminent transfer to Manchester United rose tonight as Pochettino refused to answer any questions about the future of the England striker. Here's a picture of what Kane might look like in a United shirt...

RobSpur likes this.
  19. The RDBD

20. humanbeingincroydon

I'm pretty sure that's the main reason Poch always had an interpreter when he was at Southampton.