1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Bayer Leverkusen

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Nov 1, 2016.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Wednesday 2nd November 7.45pm
    Champions League Group Stage
    Wembley Stadium
    Our sixth game since the international break and our sixth different venue.
    Bit strange. I wonder what the record for that sort of thing is?
    Still to register a win and we really could do with one in this game.
    It's a tight group and we need to pick up points at home.

Our visitors haven't been pulling up trees since club games resumed, either.
    Losses to Bremen and Hoffenheim sandwiched our draw at the BayArena.
    They followed those up with a penalty shoot-out loss to third tier Sportfreunde Lotte in the DFB Pokal.
    That's the German equivalent of the FA Cup, apparently.

Leverkusen returned to winning ways on the weekend with a victory in Wolfsburg, though.
    They trailed to a first half goal from Maximilian Arnold and there was a little over ten minutes left when they equalised.
    Mehmedi leveled things up before Tin Jedvaj put them ahead from a corner.
    The young Croatian was heavily linked with us, before joining Roma, where he made only two appearances.
    They won both, rather strangely. He was moved on the following summer.

They showed us what they could do in the second half of our game over there.
    We were by far the better team in the first half though, so we need to build on that.
    Pochettino will introduce some fresh legs, I think, but the new faces need to make an impact.
    I suspect that Sissoko will be one of them, due to his domestic ban.

No bans for this one, as Sissoko's doesn't include European games.
    Kane and Alderweireld will miss out again, though. Lamela may also miss out, having picked up a hip problem in training today.
    Leverkusen also have no suspensions.
    Pohjanpalo and Bellarabi are still unavailable, while they appear to have quite a few knocks, too.
    Bender, Tah and Toprak will all be assessed.

Lineups for each team's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Walker, Dier, Vertoghen, Rose; Wanyama, Dembele; Eriksen, Alli, Son; Janssen.
    Subs: Vorm, Trippier, Davies, Carter-Vickers, Winks, Onomah, N'Koudou.
    League form: WWWDDD.

Leverkusen: Leno; Heinrichs, Jedvaj, Dragovic, Wendell; Mehmedi, Bender, Aranguiz, Brandt; Kampl, Hernandez.
    Subs: Ozcan, Boeder, Da Costa, Havertz, Baumgartlinger, Kiessling, Kruse.
    League form: DWWLLW.

Referee: Jonas Eriksson (SWE). A multi-millionaire who took charge of Liverpool v Seville last season.

We've looked a bit toothless in recent games and I think that changes will be made.
    Should Sissoko or N'Koudou get a start, hopefully taking advantage of Wembley's open spaces?
    Do we risk resting Rose and Walker, especially with the North London derby on the weekend?

crackerman jack and Roo like this.
  2. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

We really need a win tomorrow to put ourselves in with a good chance of qualifying, but at least we've got 2 home CL games, so another draw won't be the end of the world! <laugh>
    Once again we have to ask ourselves where the goals are coming from. <yikes>

Part of me wants to see the likes of GKN getting some more game time, which also helps our squad rotation. I know he was poor against Liverpool, but so was nearly everyone. Just about all other cameo appearances have been impressive and I think it's time we mixed things up. I also see sissoko coming back into contention, but don't see the two of them starting.

Possible line up:

Lloris
    Trippier Dier Vertonghen Davies
    Dembele Wanyama
    Sissoko Alli Eriksen
    Son

Not particularly what I want to see, as I think that playing Son furthest forward doesn't work effectively in our attacking four, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar to this from Poch.

A win would be massive for us tomorrow, not just because of the CL group, but the confidence leading into Sunday.

COYS

3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Roo likes this.
  4. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Am going with my girls tomorrow...can not wait!
    I would go for;
    Lloris
    Walker Dier Vertongen Rose
    Wanyama
    Lamela Dembele Dele Son
    Janssen

Eriksen needs to be dropped imo...I have kept Lamela in as his work rate is massively better than Eriksen's.

I would tell Janssen to play to the width of the penalty area and let Lamela and Son to go out wide when we are attacking. If he is in the box and gets service he can either get chances or create chances and or space for Alli, Son and Lamela.

This is the team I think should start the NLD if it looks good tomorrow night. I know Kane might be available for the NLD but would rather he came off the bench after 60 mins in the NLD.

Shark likes this.
  5. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Whilst I agree with most of this, I think we'll see some rotation tomorrow, especially with the full backs. So much pride is at stake on Sunday, and I just can't see us playing the same players for both. Tomorrow is important for progression and putting ourselves on the front foot, but Poch will know how much Sunday means to the fans.

6. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with the sense you make but I think that the players could cope with both matches ... maybe!

7. humanbeingincroydon

Looks like either Son or Sissoko will be starting on the right tomorrow

8. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

"But Poch will know much Sunday means to the fans"

He showed sweet FA regard to what a NLD means to the fans when he picked our reserves in the League Cup last season against the goons.

9. humanbeingincroydon

So you're saying he gave as much regard as what a NLD means to the fans as Harry Redknapp?

It's more than a little rich criticising one coach for playing the reserves in a League Cup NLD when Redknapp did the exact same thing: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/9009940.stm

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  10. O.Spurcat

I'll criticise Pochettino as much as I want to thank you.

11. humanbeingincroydon

What about the other bloke who played reserves in a NLD League Cup match? Doesn't he deserve criticism for the exact same thing?

12. O.Spurcat

I don't like Poch, you don't appreciate Redknapp. Let's leave it at that.

13. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Not unless you're wearing a shirt and tie you won't.

14. The RDBD

15. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Agree with the sentiment, disagree with the evidence. I would've pointed to the way we finished off the season as irrefutable proof that he doesn't understand the importance of the NL Power Shift, and probably never will.

Ultimately, qualification from the group stages is worth far more to the men in the ivory towers than bragging rights down the pub.

16. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Fair point spurcat, as a number of fans will always want to see a result in a NLD.
    But at the same time, some of those same fans moan about how the league cup is not worth risking our best players in as we have other priorities!

17. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

What did Poch do/say regarding the NL power shift?

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Buzzing for the match, even though I hated getting home from Wembley it's always great to play there regardless of occasion.

I don't think we'll need much rotation for tonight, we're playing on Sunday so have practically 4 days of recovery, we'd have to be weary of injuries but fatigue shouldn't be an issue. Arsenal travelling back from Ludogorets last night is also a bit of a bonus for us, they've got an extra day's recovery but the travelling won't have helped.

Hugo
    Walker, Dier, Kev, Rose
    Wanyama, Dembele
    Sissoko, Alli, Son
    Janssen

Vorm, Tripps, CCV, Davies, Winks, Eriksen, GKN

Want to keep Jan fresh as he's been superb at CB in Toby's absence and if Toby is still touch and go for Arsenal, we can't afford to be risking Jan tonight in my opinion.

COYS!

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Think both are brilliant, both would probably be in the club's top ten managers of all time I'd say.

Harry produced the best football-playing side I've seen at Spurs, we were spoiled when we were able to watch guys like King, Modric, van der Vaart and Bale all in the same team. Then braking into that top four for the first time was something I'll never forget, along with the CL season that followed.

With Poch he, like Harry, took over a **** show but turned it around with young hungry players that are desperate to play for this club and who have a real affinity with the fans, I personally haven't felt as close to a team as I do now and Poch is the main factor in that. He's produced a defence to proud of which isn't usually associated with this club and we also play superb football for the most part. Also achieved our highest ever Prem position.

20. The RDBD

This week there is no possible ambiguity in the manager or player mindset.
    A win tonight in the CL and a non-loss in the NLD is essential, not optional.
    It really is that simple.

Roo and Lovearsenalcock like this.