1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v AFC Sunderland

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Jan 29, 2017.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd normally agree with you, but our set-pieces have been so **** this season, that I'm not sure we should send anyone up! <laugh>
    Just pass it to their keeper and start again. Might accidentally kick it into his own net.

Dier Hard likes this.
  2. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I would say actually, the CBs are probably more prone to being countered on. Typically you have most of your players up for corners and theres far more space on the field and your team is pushed far higher up. This means more area to cover and whilst you guys might have some pretty athletic cbs, most teams have strong slow men like huth or mcauley who can't cover that much space.

With respect to CBs going up, they are bigger and that height difference makes a difference. Plus, generally speaking, the CBs are used to more aerial balls and are used to attacking them. It's not surprise that the most prolific scorers from corners are the larger players (Terry, Poggers, Alderweireld, Mcauley, Dann, Williams).

MOTD did mention Rodwells terrible tackle. Outrageous he will get away with just a yellow

crackerman jack likes this.
  3. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Fair point about centre-backs normally being slower than fullbacks.
    That does mean that it's going to take them even longer to get back when they do go up, though.

There are some exceptions that score quite often, like John Terry, but most score very rarely.
    This famously springs to mind:

Maybe being more selective is the key? Send up defenders who actually know where the goal is.
    The argument is that others contribute by blocking or distracting, I guess.

4. I think the focus is on one very significant decision which on virtually any other occasion should have resulted in a red card with 60 mins still to play! It was a potential leg breaker and it's reasonable to highlight the refs call.

Otherwise it was a generally bad day at the office and we will hopefully pick it up at the weekend. We are 2nd, but as a club we have the basis for some really good things and these aspirations include having to be self-critical (within reason) when the level drops. If we do aspire to win cups and more, a tepid, tame 0-0 performance against the bottom club cannot be acceptable surely?

But yes, it was still better than losing at home to Watford!! :emoticon-0136-giggl

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2017
    crackerman jack likes this.
  5. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

It was raining <laugh>

6. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I suppose the shocker was in the leg breaker part. However in terms of outcome of the game, it wasn't a here's a call that affected the game directly because he chopped someone down whilst through on goal/denied a penalty/gave them a goal type call. They should have been down to 10 but it was a direct affect on a goalscoring opportunity if you see what i mean.

True but i bet there are far more goals scored by CBs during set pieces than there are by any other position on the field. Agree some CBs are terrible at them which is probably why not all CBs are sent forward.

7. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I'm amazed how far we have come...we became a top 5 team and were supposed to return to mid table obscurity when we lost Arnesen to chelsea and Carrick to united in the Summer of 2006.
    In the next 2 years we came 5th and then won the league cup.
    When we lost Berbatov to United and Keane to Liverpool in 2008 and that was the end of things. But in 2010 we qualified for the CL and came 5th then 4th.
    We then lose Modric in 2012 and are supposed to fade away but again come 5th. Then we lost Bale in 2013 and yet again we come 6th then 5th then 3rd.
    We are a solid top 5 club so while yesterday was an ok result re top 4 it was not good for title hopes...and seriously...who the hell thought we'd be thinking about challenging for the title?
    I think that's why some were so disappointed last night.
    All I can say is, that despite my gloom and doom predictions and jinx posts, I am amazed at how we are a serious club.
    Watch the Skysports Seasons from 1992 until 2004-05 season and see just how **** we really were.
    Our season was over as soon as we were out of the fa cup except when we faced relegation battles and we never came above 8th and normally finished 13th or 14th.
    I (believe it or not) in the real world am always pleased with us cos we are always in with something to play for all season so at least its always interesting.
    Coys

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. Spurs61

Spurs61 Well-Known Member

It's not often I can take consolation from a rubbish away draw against a bottom side but thanks to Watford yesterday was better than it could have been

9. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I see players,before taking corner kicks.raising their arm/s.I suppose to send in a high one.But more often or not they are at waist high by the time they reach the near post.What a waste! Ericson has been guilty of this,or is this planned?

10. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Its planned to baffle everyone, successfully so, may I add.

11. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Seems we need to develop another Martin Peters to come from nowhere and flip it in.

Old "Ten Years" himself!

12. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Me : I've got your appointment with the wicker man to look forward to.
    And in the middle on new WHL too.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  13. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

We had some success with near post headers from corners and ended the season with the most scored on them, IIRC.
    People have sussed it out now and Eriksen's delivery has got worse, as have his free-kicks.
    I suspect that he's not putting in much time on them, due to the nature of our fitness training.

14. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

That Ty is such a deluded WUM that he has to be interviewed alone now. :)

15. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

It's come to that time of the season when playing a relegation threatened team gets really difficult because they defend for their survival.
    See Hull tonight.
    At least we were away from home whereas Woolwich and Man UTD were at home.

16. crackerman jack

crackerman jack Well-Known Member

it wouldn't surprise me if Piskie and Ty were the same person

SpursDisciple likes this.
  17. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Surprised that the horror tackle was actually mentioned by the media since recent violence against Spurs players has been ignored. The fact remains that it's a red card, should have been given at the time, might have affected the match itself, should be subject to retrospective action and the assaulting player concerned should not appear in the next match - which he might then influence. A missed red affects two or more games, imagine if he scores the winner next match?

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  18. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Looking at it, Mousa would have a case in court for assault if he was so disposed. As others have said, he wasn't just trying to stop him (a simple trip would have sufficed) but he lashed out angrily, way after the ball had gone.

19. Inda

Inda Well-Known Member

I got 125,000 views for that assault video. Highest ever by a long way. **** all to do with the game but I'm telling you anyway :)

20. BobbyD

BobbyD President

To be honest the only influence Rodwell is having is number of games not won by sunderland when he plays XD