1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Top Drives Of 2010

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Forza Bianchi, Jan 29, 2011.

?

What was the best drive of the season

1. Fernando Alonso, Singapore

2. Jenson Button, Australia

3. Sebastian Vettel, Abu Dhabi

4. Mark Webber, Monaco

5. Lewis Hamilton, Canada

6. Fernando Alonso, Korea

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

Every year, a few people produce stunning drives. Just to name a few:

Fernando Alonso, Singapore:
    Singapore is a high downforce track, so in theory Red Bull should have dominated by a significant margin - especially since their qualifying advantage in place like Hungary was over a second. But somehow, Fernando Alonso performs a stunning drive in qualifying, and manages to get pole position. In the race, he kept a cool head and despite having a slower car and being under immense pressure, he made no mistakes and kept Vettel behind him for the whole race. In doing so he got his first "Grand Chelem" (Pole, Win, Fastest Lap, Lead every lap of the race) - an incredible achievement that has only been done 32 times in 62 years of F1. This sort of drive shows us why Alonso is widely regarded as "the most complete driver on the grid".

Jenson Button, Australia:
    Jenson Button took another fantastic win and immediately made his mark at McLaren. In just his second race for McLaren, he made one of the best tactical decisions of the season by pitting early for a new set of tyres. On almost all occasions, the team analyse the data and tell the driver when to pit, but Jenson made his own choice to pit, which meant the overtook his competitors when they pitted and when Vettel retired, he inherited the lead. He then did a fantastic job of making his old tyres last the full distance of the race. His tyre management skills were so impressive that Bridgestone actually said that his tyres were in better shape then his teammate's, who had driven less laps on his tyres.

Sebastian Vettel, Abu Dhabi:
    The final race of the season, Fernando is championship leader, Vettel is 15 points behind. McLaren (in my opinion) had the fastest car, but Vettel still took pole position and dominated the race. Everything was perfect for Vettel, and this is especially impressive as he was under the most pressure. Earlier on in the season he has made silly errors which almost cost him the title, but like just Fernando in Singapore, Vettel gave us a masterclass and won the championship in style. Great to see how much he matured over the season.

Mark Webber, Monaco
    Up to this point, Vettel seemed to have the better of his teammate (with the exception of Spain), but Webber dominated for the second race in a row. Not only is Monaco one of the most difficult circuits to drive on, but he drove away from the field with ease, and he could have got the grand chelem, but Vettel got fastest lap - which is a bit unfair as Webber would have pushed for fastest lap in the final few laps - but the safety car prevented it.

Lewis Hamilton, Canada
    Lewis Hamilton shocked everyone by winning another race. He was unlucky with his first pit stop, which allowed Alonso to get ahead. Afterwards he made a great pass on Fernando Alonso, after he had trouble getting past Buemi. He then defended against Alonso for several laps, before pitting again. Fernando got held up, but it was still a very fast out lap by Lewis Hamilton. He then drove away from Alonso and throughout the race he overtook many people. This was one of the most exciting races of the season, mainly because of the tyre degradation, but also because of Hamilton.

Fernando Alonso, Korea
    In the race, he put great pressure on Mark Webber, who made a mistake and retired from the race. He didn't let Vettel gain a significant lead either and was close to him just before Vettel's engine blew. You could say he was gifted the win thanks to Vettel's engine failure, but it was still a very impressive victory given the track conditions and was his first fully wet race win. What makes this a contender for drive of the season was his supreme tyre management. Once he took the lead, he started lapping much faster than anyone else - 4.6 seconds faster than Massa, Hamilton, Button on one lap. In 8 laps, he his lead over Hamilton changed from 3 seconds - 15 seconds. In the last 3 laps, visibility was low, and the lap times of most drivers became slower as a result, but Alonso still set competitive lap times.

Lewis Hamilton's Spa victory was also impressive, but I haven't included it because I think his Montreal victory was better, and also because he was very lucky not to crash at Spa.

2. Forza Bianchi

It's a multiple choice poll, so you can vote for more than one.

3. LewisWDC

LewisWDC New Member

Fernando Alonso, Singapore gets my vote!

4. nh-f1

nh-f1 Member

This has got to be Jenson Button in Australia. Fantastic tyre management and predictability of track conditions. I don't see why Alonso's Korea win is on there as he crashed at Spa at conditions not even half as bad. One wet race doesn't make him a rain master. Despite this I agree with Singapore, put Vettel under a lot of pressure, but Vettel bottled it a bit - he'd already been very close to the walls that weekend.

Why are all the drives of the season wins? Kobayashi had a great Japanese GP and Hamilton overtook very well at China. Great drives aren't necessarily always win - like starting at the back and finishing in 3rd

5. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

Both FA & JB, LH&SV just behind

6. Canary f1

Canary f1 Member

I went with Canada as the race was so exciting and Hamilton put in some great overtaking moves. I actually think his drive in Australia was his best though, I lost count of how many great overtaking manoeuvres he made in that race.
    I also thought Alonso in Singapore and Korea was superb. Red Bull should have dominated Singapore but Alonso drove a car that had no right to be on pole to victory, an immense drive from FA.

7. blackhawk

blackhawk New Member

jenson button Oz win wasnt that special.

He guessed on a big gamble which luckily..the weather went his way. He threw the dice and had nothing to lose as he was falling back down the field.

I say that his tyre gamble in Oz was a fluke as he then tried to do the same in Korea but messed it up bigtime. The weather decided not to fall his way and he drove shambolicly after that.

So for me button in Oz and China threw the coin up in the air as he was being owned on the track by others...and luckily the weather went his way.
    As for being a great tyre manager......thats not so true as if he really was - he wouldve been able to manage his tyres properly in quali......which he continuously messed up on many occassions due to not being able to warm them up!

Button is a very good driver but hes too overated and hes probably the 8th-10th best on the grid. The Schumachers, Rosbergs, Kubicas, kobayashis & Sutils are much better imo.

8. McWilliams

McWilliams Member

"Lewis Hamilton's Spa victory was also impressive, but I haven't included it because I think his Montreal victory was better, and also because he was very lucky not to crash at Spa."

But Alonso get's two races even though he was very lucky Vettel's engine blew!

And he was not VERY LUCKY NOT TO CRASH - he kept it out of the barrier - unlike Alonso in Spa.

Nice unbias article yet again LORCA.

9. Forza Bianchi

AMCODOTG,

If I was biased, I would not include any of Hamilton's victories. The fact is, he made the error in Spa, and even Lewis acknowledged that he was lucky. While it was still a good drive, Canada was better IMO.

Alonso's Korean drive was impressive mainly because of the tyre management towards the end. 4.6 seconds faster on one lap.
    And what does Alonso's crash in Spa got to do with this?
    Stop trying to cause trouble

10. McWilliams

McWilliams Member

His tyres were ****ed Lorca! Just because Alonso didn't say "I was really lucky Vettel's engine blew" doesn't make him any less lucky!

Hamilton went off on buggered tyres, but kept it on the road an got it back to the pits. He KEPT IT ON THE ROAD, and even then he didn't lose any places because he had such a good lead! That is why it was an impressive win!

You are bias because you've given Alonso two drives and everyone else one. Vettel getting two drives and everyone else one I can understand. NOT Alonso.

I'm not causing trouble, you are not rational enough to be a mod.

11. McWilliams

McWilliams Member

lewiswdc please! We are debating freely the fact that Spa for Hamilton was a top drive and should be included on the list. Please stay on topic.

12. nh-f1

nh-f1 Member

smooth, is that what you always do when you've lost an argument, go to bed?

13. Forza Bianchi

Yes but in Korea, everyone's lap times dropped while Alonso's stayed the same, so it's likely Vettel would have been overtaken anyway. We don't know if he would have, but regardless, Alonso drove well.

14. McLarenBluebird

Jenson and Australia is one for contention, as is Vettel at Abu Dhabi, however I'm going to say none of the above.

For me the drive of the season was Kobayashi at either Valencia or Japan. At Valencia I thought he was magnificent. Tyre management skills to go long, and was very good after his stop to get up the grid, but also at Japan when he made some fantastic overtakes to move up the field. Actually, I'd go so far as to say he was one of the drivers of the season, and disproved the theory that you cannot overtake in F1, as he took on the grid and won quite often, even if he had to bang wheels to get there

15. nh-f1

nh-f1 Member

but hey hey, this is raicing

16. McWilliams

McWilliams Member

I'm not disputing Alonso had a good drive, of course he did! Although Vettel would not have made it easy to pass (not sure if he'd got over his obsession with turning right at that point). Personally I think Vettel up until that point had done the best job.

But Hamilton was not lucky at Spa, he drove brilliantly.

17. Forza Bianchi

He did drive brilliantly, but IMO not one of the best drives of the season. Still very good though, which is why I specially mentioned it in my original post.

18. McWilliams

McWilliams Member

Fine Lorca

But plenty think the Spa drive was exceptional. You must think either Singapore or Korea was Alonso's best drive. I'd have gone for Montreal as well if I had to choose. The fact that you've given Alonso two to everybody else's one is not fair.

If Hamilton was 'Very Lucky' at Spa then Alonso was extremely lucky in Korea.

Where is Vettel's Brazil, Webber's Britain, Button's China or Italy?

19. Forza Bianchi

It's a multiple choice poll. You can vote for more as many options as you like.

20. McWilliams

McWilliams Member

Not if they're not there I can't!

You've put your opinion across, I've put mine. You can't amend the poll so we have to discuss here. I think there were a few other contenders including Hamilton at Spa and Webber at Silverstone. Great drives can be great for a variety of reasons.

Abu Dhabi for instance was perfect from Vettel at exactly the right time, but didn't have the overtaking of Korea and Montreal. Didn't make it any less of a fantastic drive.