1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Todays Game - Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Gasheadseamge79, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A decent win in a boorish game I thought Swindon were one of the poorest teams I've seen this season (didn't go to Northampton game) definitely should of won by more a solid defensive performance. Sinclair MOM for me.

2. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

3. bs3 gas

bs3 gas Well-Known Member

The best game I've seen the beard have. I liked the look of Sweeney and I also think he will score goals for us. I thought we played brilliantly, DC got the tactics spot on and with a bit of luck would have scored 6. Olly Clarke and Billy Bodin both played well. Was a bit worried at the end when he brought on Moore because with the chances we had the game should have been safe. The keeper also looks confident. Play offs here we come.

Gasheadseamge79 and Quilllogic like this.
  4. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Their keeper kept the score respectable, when the chances weren't going in I was afraid they were going to get a couple of lucky strikes to win the game Ollie Clarke was brilliant today thought he thoroughly deserved MOM award and the shot that hit the bar deserved a goal. Tom Lockyer looked far more composed with Sweeney along side him and our keeper looked good in dealing with what came his way. Why he subbed Bodin I am not sure but we seemed to lose our way a little after that, not a game that will give Moore much satisfaction and Gaffney looks totally bereft of confidence
    A good performance against a poor side who looked as if they didn't know where the next goal was coming from. Sterner tests await but hopefully this will improve confidence

Gasheadseamge79 and bs3 gas like this.
  5. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Oh no. For fook ;) sake! Now you been and done it <laugh>

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

My take on the game..... 1st half was brilliant. Should have been 4-0 or 5-0 easily by half time. However, our inability to finish off complete and utter crap opposition (like Swindon) has costed us dearly this season and then go on to get punished. This nearly happened yesterday. Although the game should have been over by half time (actually should have been over within 25 minutes and if football had boxing rules, Swindon would have chucked in the white towel by the 25th minute), Swindon did get into the game more in the 2nd half and as the 2nd half progressed into the last 10 minutes, my bowels nearly opened up a few times due to nerves. We shouldnt be putting ourselves into this position. We need to be more ruthless and actually take our chances, like we did vs Northampton.

If you think about it, there has been many games this season where we have dominated early on and failed to take advantage when on top. Yes we have a striker who has scored many goals in Taylor but how many chances have been wasted by him. If only we had a striker who had a better shot to goal ratio and we could be stuffing teams like we did vs Northampton instead of dominating without rewards.

A clean sheet was great and I thought Lumley was brilliant when called upon. I would be happy for him to stay as number 1 until we can find better but keep him ahead of what we currently have. Hopefully there isnt a recall clause!

Sweeny looked good and reminded me of Hartley when going up for corners and set peices. I too think he will score goals for us. Its great to see 2 goal scoring defenders unlike Parkes last season and Lockyer every season <laugh>

As this season has progressed, I have been a huge critic over Sinclair. To me he is not good enough at this level to be playing in nearly every game. I dont have an issue with him personally and dont mind him being used as a back up squad player being used only now and then. His workrate cannot be denied and that alone could be used as a good example in training to the other players to work as hard as him. But his quality of passing and his overall final ball is not up to standard for this level. HOWEVER... yesterday he was brilliant, although it was against a poor side of course. Against better teams in this league, he has to me been found not technically good enough. BUT if he can keep this performance up regularly and not just against crap teams, then he will prove me wrong and I would be delighted to be proved wrong when it comes to Sinclair. I think his attitude towards our club and fans should be the blueprint for all current and future Rovers players. When I seen him on the wing yesterday while having wingers on the bench, I was very confused at this. But DC showed he does know what he was doing yet again.

But as mentioned above by old timer, Ollie for me was fully justified by his man of the match award. He has this season been my most improved player so far. I thought he would struggle to step up at this level but has done a fantastic job and he deserved to get a goal yesterday after that performance.

But what a goal though by Bodin. If he aint back to his best yet, I cant wait to see him when he has reached his peak!

old timer and bs3 gas like this.
  8. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

9. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

I can't see it especially with are abysmal away form, some tough home games coming up also next month I think those teams will be slightly better then Swindon. <laugh>

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  10. bs3 gas

I was waiting for you to say something.

11. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Another reason to miss out on the play offs for me is the nerve racing experience of the last two seasons I don't think my heart and underpants can cope with that this year <laugh> happy enough with mid table

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  12. bs3 gas

As DC says everyone knows where our problem has been. I am hoping that with the signings he has made and perhaps another 2 this week he has addressed this problem and if we can keep Matty Taylor, the rest of this season looks good.

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

We are currently on 42 points.
    We have 8 home games to go.
    If we win all remaining home games (and knowing our home form in the last 2 seasons, I wouldnt put it past us), thats an extra 24 points.
    If we lose all remaining away games and win the 8 home games, we would then end on 66 points.
    Over the last 5 seasons in league 1, to get into the play offs....
    15/16 74 points were needed
    14/15 69 points were needed
    13/14 74 points were needed
    12/13 74 points were needed
    11/12 73 points were needed
    So to me its safe to say that we need 75 points to be sure to get into the play offs.
    So if we win all our 8 home games, we will still need to find 9 points from away games. So 3 wins or 2 wins and 3 draws.
    Its a shame we cant play Swindon every week <laugh>

Gasheadseamge79 likes this.
  14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

It will take time for the new players to settle. A new keeper and maybe another new keeper coming in as well. A new defender in Partington, Sweeney and Burn too. And dont forget Clarke-Salter to come back too. Im expecting a while for them to fit in for us to have a real solid defence. We were just lucky yesterday that it was Swindon and not Scunny or Sheff Utd!

15. The Great Gashead

The Great Gashead Active Member

I want to see Sweeney and Burn partnership. I reckon not much will get past them and a few might get run over by the pair of Mack trucks!

Gasheadseamge79 likes this.
  16. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

17. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

...but we usually finish the season strongly, so I think we will make the playoffs. Anything else would be bloody marvellous!

bs3 gas likes this.
  18. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

I just want to see 52 points next to our name first, anything after that is gravy.

Captain Jack Sparrow and bs3 gas like this.