1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tme to reflect

Discussion in 'Reading' started by SuffolkRoyal, Mar 17, 2013.

1. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

With just eight games left and us sitting in joint bottom place, 7 points from safety, I think its fair to accept that its relegation for us and championship football next season.

It comes as no great surprise to me because we weren't prepared for the premiership when we got promoted, and the club hierarchy did absolutely nothing to improve that situation in either of the transfer windows. Along with a few others, I got slated for saying it, and it gives me no pleasure to say to my critics "I told you so", because I would have loved to have been proved wrong.

Who comes down with us is immaterial but it looks as if Rangers, after yesterdays result, will be favourites. Although the way they play, that it is stilll mathematically possible, and that they have a tenacious manager in Harry Redknapp, they could still surprise us all. At this stage of the season, for teams in and around the drop zone, any win is a morale booster. Villa, by beating a relegation rival, and Southampton with a terrific win against Liverpool, will both have had a massive boost yesterday. That leaves Wigan. If they win their game against Newcastle today, its going to be a very interesting run in between those three teams, one of which is almost certain to go down.

I'm hoping we're due for better times at Reading. We'll all be happier once the manager appointment is sorted out. The more I read, the more it looks as if Adkins is the favourite, but I still have this dread that we might end up with Curbishley or someone similar. If that happens, the 'better' times will have to be put on hold!

2. Tilehurstsouthbank

Yep, despite my optimism due to last season's miracle, I have to admit the squad was ill equipped for the Premiership journey. You can't survive in the PL on team spirit alone. Let's hope the new man at the helm has a passing philosophy and the backing of the board. Adkins would be great, but he's being touted for the Leeds job now.

3. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

And Leicester, if they decide to get rid of Pearson, I read this morning.

4. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

Sad for you guys, but I fear that you are likely to drop. Your fans have been (nearly all) good to debate with and welcoming. I think if you get Adkins that you will be back before long - particularly as AZ will want top tier footy (and can afford it).

It's a bit sad for Brian Mc - my guess is that a heroic "near miss" last year and promotion this year might have kept him with you longer (and have been more financially beneficial for your club).

Good luck for the future and a special thanks to daib0 for excellent match threads

5. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Cheers mate. Our problems have been of our own making. Too little preparation to survive in the premiership and no attempt to correct our obvious failings in January.

We owe McDemott for what he achieved but he really had run out of ideas. His sacking was on the cards but it seemed a ridiculous time for it to happen. He should have gone before Christmas or hung on until the season was over.

As for our new manager! Our hierarchy are displaying the same dithering as they have during the transfer windows. Adkins should have been offered the job as soon as McDermott had gone instead of pursuing Poyet, who was already in a good managerial position. Their actions may have cost us the chance of getting Adkins, and my real fear is that we will end up with someone like Curbishley.