1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time for Darlow to be dropped I think.

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Darth Tash, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Krul let in 7 in one game thIs week.

Geordieginola likes this.
  2. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

And the worst thing about it was that it was launched to Anita half the time or some other short arse. Or Cisse, who flat refused to jump for a ball for pretty much his entire Newcastle career.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  3. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

This was really doing my head in before he left. I thought he brought a lot of pressure on to us as we just kept giving it back to the other team to start an attack again.

On the Darlow situation who do you all see as long term no1? Or do you think we need to go find one?

I think Darlow does have potential but is young. Elliot is a bit of the safer bet at the moment but do You see him as long term no1? Sels had some things I liked about his game but was being way too much of a liability.

4. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Elliot has to be the choice we need experience for the run in.

He's a decent all rounder. We worry about long term once short term is secured.

J. J. McClure likes this.
  5. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

It was the defenders fault as it was against qpr

Darlows made literally one mistake all season

Flash likes this.
  6. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Being honest I think we probably need one long term. The problem is there are not very many good modern keepers! If Butland got fit and can't get back in then he'd be ideal. Keepers now are just not as good and hide behind "its the balls" excuse. The main issue I see is they are not very robustly built. They are built like athletes like their outfield counterparts. Southall, Shilton, Seaman, Buffon, Schmeichel, Jennings, Kahn, Barthez, Cech, Courtois, Neuer - they are nearly all absolute units and plenty of them could play.

Darlow is a prime example. He comes out to claim and clean out, he just gets wiped out. Elliot is similar although slightly better built. They are both horrific at judging balls coming into the box. I'd go Elliot just because Darlow has had a good go.

7. Warmir Pouchov

Mate that is simply not true. He's made 4 or 5 and has dropped a few clangers in the last few weeks. Still had an ok season.

Captainchaos. likes this.
  8. Captainchaos.

No I'm right

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  9. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Well you can't argue with that well laid out explanation...:emoticon-0140-rofl:

I have to say I always picture someone like Nobby Stiles when I see your debates. Take no prisoners!!!

10. Lord Jonjomort

Not sure I follow here; you're picking out Darlow for the odd mistake, yet there's no issue with Mitrovic consistently letting the side down?

11. Warmir Pouchov

Whereas I think its pretty clear we just disagree and see different things with regard to Mitrovic, I'll nibble at this for ****s and giggles and because its such a silly comparison <laugh>.

Darlow is a goalkeeper. Goalkeepers making mistakes cost games more games than strikers missing chances. Its harsh of course because of where they play, you make a mistake its invariably a goal. A midfielder misplaces a pass or striker misses a chance, they get a lot of chances to atone for the error. That unfortunately is the name of the game with keepers, you are in a tough position.

Though if a striker has a terrible record in front of goal on a consistent basis then that could also be a massive problem, I don't think we can say that is the case with Mitrovic. He has a decent games to goals ratio. Strikers do miss chances. I don't think I've absolved Mitrovic either, this is his first proper run in the side and he certainly does need to improve. I think he can, you don't see the point in persevering - which is fair enough its just a different approach.

If Gayle was fit I'd drop Mitrovic away from home. I see no reason to upset the apple cart. At home I'd play both. It really is that simple.

With goalkeepers, unless you have a clear No.1 on ability, then I'd probably go on form. I'd allow the odd mistake, its a tough position as I say. However in Darlows case, he has made quite a few errors now and has looked particularly dodgy of late in my opinion (others disagree). Such is the similar level of ability between him and Elliot I'd be tempted to give the latter a go. Darlow has been given a consistent run of games (another slight difference to Mitrovic) and hasn't really grasped it fully.

Salomon #9 and Sheikh_of_Araby like this.
  12. Captainchaos.

That's right

G4rdToonArmy likes this.
  13. Henry Boy

Henry Boy Active Member

Sels has the best distribution of any keeper I've seen at NUFC. I also think he was dropped at the wrong time (just after having to delete his twitter account), which wouldn't have helped his confidence at all. People forget that Darlow looked just as shakey when he first came into the side last year but there was no one else fit so we had to stick with him. I think long term Sels could be number 1 for us but that depends on what Rafa does with him in the summer.

Darlow is not as good as people make out. Let's not forget he's played at this level before (unlike Sels) yet is still making howlers.

Elliot screams backup to me long term but I'd really like him to start vs Brighton.

14. Warmir Pouchov

I'd not give up on Sels. Our best defensive run came with him in the side. He did look a bit suspect to be honest but I thought he was very very nervous. Certainly he got cut less slack than Darlow has been with our current run. The problem is none of the 3 are really standing out.

Maybe young Woodman will make this whole discussion pointless?

15. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

That's the irony - Darlow is forgiven for his mistakes because he's had a 'good' season. Sels - Demonized for making several mistakes in the few games he played. I think Sels will come good with a bit of confidence. Sticking him in front of 52,000 moaning minnies is obviously going to get to him. Let's face it, our home atmosphere is completely counter productive and destructive to young players.

leez likes this.
  16. Lord Jonjomort

I think this is arguably a Rafa mistake. Darlow probably did not deserve to be dropped from the start of the season, he did ok.

17. Captainchaos.

Darlow was not at fault for the qpr goal or the Bristol city goal

18. leez

leez Well-Known Member

elliot done nothing wrong before he got injured ..played well away from home under pressure etc .. just seems there is always a mistake in darlow no matter what ...

ok they all have to make a mistake ..but his are silly ones ..and they are coming more often as well..

19. Warmir Pouchov

You're wrong he was :emoticon-0143-smirk

G4rdToonArmy likes this.
  20. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

It's this seasons matches we are talking about Pantsy.