1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Thursday 23rd. Feb. 2017

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Feb 22, 2017.

1. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Thursday's Meetings

Huntingdon
    N/H 7 Races 1:30-4:55p.m.
    Chelmsford
    A/W 7 Races 1:50-5:15p.m.
    Thurles
    N/H 7 Races 1:55-5:20p.m.
    Sedgefield
    N/H 6 Races 2:10-5:05p.m.
    Meydan
    Dirt&Turf 7 Races 2:30-6:00p.m.
    Wolverhampton(E)
    A/W 6 Races 5:50-8:30p.m.

Racecards

At The Races
    Racing Post
    Sporting Life

Good Luck <ok>

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Hello, everyone. Hope all is well.

I’m sure if you asked most forumites if they backed horses because of their names then said individuals would holler at you for a good 10 minutes before hitting you around the head, most vociferously, with their shooting stick. Especially those types with contacts, moles and insiders - nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more… However, tomorrow I’ll be wagering on one with a pleasing moniker.

Like Mrs Magnier, with Camelot and Australia, Go-Dolphin registered the name Chippenham yonks ago and have then sat on it for ages waiting for a beast to appear worthy of carrying such a distinguished handle. And to embellish, I mean enhance, this tale further I’ll deploy a famous forum term ‘I’ve been told’, and been told by none other than the Chairman of the ‘County Set’, to boot, that John Ferguson was on the Newmarket gallops one day when he saw this unnamed son of Casamento blaze past him at the sort of expeditious speed never seen before. Running down to where he had been pulled up by his work rider old boy Fergie patted him on the rump (the unnamed son of Casamento, incidentally, not the work rider) and proclaimed, ‘I moniker thee Chippenham. May God bless you and all who sail in you!’.

Regular readers get on CHIPPENHAM of the morrow (6.25 Wolverhampton). Only the very best of horses is fit to carry the name.

Good luck all.

3. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

A small village in Cambridgeshire about 50 miles from me. You've convinced me Barney!

4. tward07

tward07 Well-Known Member

delete

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My sister lives in Wiltshire, just over 40 miles from Chippenham.

Not a lot of people know that

6. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Zipporah 11/4 - Thurles 4:45 - some may recall myself and Bostonbob discussing this horse briefly after he landed a bit of a gamble here from the front last week after a long lay-off. He has a great chance of landing the double today, it's a Ladies Pro-Am which means Aìne O'Connor takes over from young Donal Skehan who rode last week. He's straight forward though and will be popped out and try make all...my only concern is the other main market rival, Sammantom, who will also want to be handy, whether they cut each other up remains to be seen but if Zipporah can get an uncontested lead he will be mighty hard to peg back on what will be very heavy going.

7. Grecian Mick

Grecian Mick Well-Known Member

Spent many sports afternoons having a flutter in the local ladcrooks in Chippers when I was working just up the road in Colerne.

Opened up at 7/4

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
  8. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

I've never been to Chippenham...!! Can I have a bet then...?? :emoticon-0127-lipss or :emoticon-0102-bigsm

9. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

You've never been to 'nam? Put it on your holiday list.

10. mick the jolly sailor

mick the jolly sailor Well-Known Member

I've got Boiled Gammon on for tea this evening ( along with Beef broth, Chicken Chow Mein, followed by sultana pancakes and homemade butterscotch sauce and ice cream!) and was just discussing with my trusty steward what potatoes we should have with said gammon.....along with the pineapple, sweetcorn, grilled tomatoes and broccoli. We decided on baby new potatoes and French fries ( these boys can never get enough chips!!).
    On hearing this, the bosun exclaimed, "That will do for me...I'll be turned in at teatime, so can you leave me some gammon and French fries please"?
    "Chips and Ham it is then" I replied. Can anyone see where this is going???!!!
    So,6.25 Wolverhampton.

Chip 'n' Ham it is!!

11. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Two I like at Thurles today
    2.00 Moulin a Vent 9/4 Nap
    4.45 Samanntom 6/1
    Singles and double

12. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Because of the huge popularity of the town (it is afterall ‘the jewel in Wiltshire’s crown’ and ‘the gateway to the Cotswolds’) I do wonder if Chippenham is set to go off at something of a false price later on this evening. As Mick points out just 7/4 available.

The opening post (as I hope everyone has guessed) was something of a parody on some of the ‘I’ve been told’, ‘will win’, ‘bolts up’, ‘best ever’, ‘trainer has advised me’, ‘my contact says’ posts that seem to crop up on here from time to time and if Chippenham obliges (or is indeed the ‘reincarnation of Pegasus’) I’ve really no idea. Really hope he does win tonight though and goes onto prove himself a top, top horse.

13. mick the jolly sailor

mick the jolly sailor Well-Known Member

Gonna have an accy today. Along with Sir Barneys Chips and Ham, It's:

Listen to the man. 2.35 Huntington. Looks like a feasible handicap mark to me and should be better than it. 1/1.

Byres Road.2.55 Chelmsford. Been knocking on the door and think the Nortonizor will get this one home today. 3/1

Basheer.4.05.Chelmsford. One I've had an eye on and looks set to break the maiden tag. 6/4.

Good luck fellow punters.

14. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

After the Racing Post a few weeks ago, the Sporting Life has updated their web page to be more "mobile device friendly". Hmmmmmm.

Bib Fortuna's Maw likes this.
  15. Bib Fortuna's Maw

Bib Fortuna's Maw Well-Known Member

It's awful - clearly been outsourced to Hestview.

It looks a little more awkward on the screen at work but it's way, way worse on my phone - I suspect it'll be fine on an app but I've always found using Sporting Life in the mobile browser to be pretty user-friendly.

For what it's worth, today's picks for me are:

Byres Road Chelms 14:55
    Morning Reggie Huntingdon 15:45
    Just Before Dawn Huntingdon 16:20

I know it seems like forever since Just Before Dawn won that bumper but it'll be interesting to see what the market does to his price today.

OddDog likes this.
  16. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

London 2.55 Chelmsford 25/1
    Has been too keen in his last few runs. The first time hood might help him settle. His best run for this yard has been over a mile. He has been dropped a few pounds since.

Moulin A Vent 3.00 Thurles nap

Kansas City Chief 4.10 Thurles 11/4

Ridiculously well treated on his chase form. Ground should help as he needs every yard of this trip.

17. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Non runner. All bets off.

18. Bib Fortuna's Maw

Bib Fortuna's Maw Well-Known Member

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thurles 3.00 Moulin A Vent has a tough task but 9/4 available with 888Sport and SkyBet might just be reasonable. The form of his last run is working out well.

20. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

So this is what Sir Barney Chuckles refers to as "the coalface" <yikes> <laugh>

There'll be some long faces amongst the "county set" tonight.