1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Thoughts on the Barnsley game

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

I'd avoid Ashley Cole like the plague no matter what I wanted!

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

You miss my point - what I am trying to say is that it is only Watford fans who rate him - if he were at any other club none of us would want to buy him - the "if you were a manager" thing was not about spend loads of money - it was about who would ever think of buying Doyley as a footballer - he is just a nice guy and a Watford hero or whatever you want to call him. If he weren't already here you would never choose to bring him here - he just is not good enough

Sorry - just my opinion of his ability - not that I don't think he is a nice chap and good to the fans etc - but I would not want to play my favourite pet labrador either :)

3. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

You're right in an attacking sense, it's plain for most to see that he is terrible on the ball.

But when it comes to Doyley I still agree completely with Mr Integrity. Doyley shouldn't be going over the half way line unless we're a minute away from asking Loach to do likewise, or we're 10-0 up with one outfield player not on the scoresheet. But he is a quality defender at this level. Defensively, it's a full back's job to win the ball, to force the winger into a mistake, or at least to buy your centre backs a bit of time. Doyley ticks the boxes in all three of these areas, whether on the left or the right.

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I am now living far away so don't get to see Watford week in week out like I used to so maybe he has improved. The problem I had when I used to watch him was that he deserts his post too often. If he stayed back he would be fine but he wants to get upfield and he leaves holes behind him that get exploited - he was better when asked to play on the right as this was out of his comfort zone so he ventured forward only rarely.

5. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Leo I still think your being to harsh on him ,if he was as rubbish as you suggest would not one of the last three managers have got rid of him!
    The fact they didnt in my book speaks volumes! No he will never score lots of goals , will never play for England etc, what he is ,is a good honest championship defender!
    To turn your question around , with the money you could get for LD who would you get from the championship to replace him(in his correct role of RB)
    I hope we will have a left sided LB by next Season!

6. Bradleysdad

Bradleysdad Member

The thing is with modern football fullbacks are required to get forward on the overlap and provide additional width, particularly with the tendency to have inverted wingers who cut inside on their favourite foot. To be fair to Doyley he really worked on his game going forward and is clearly better on the right than the left (although seeing how long he has been on the left I would expect him to have worked on that side of his game and developed more of a left foot). That said he is a very decent, dare I say good at this level, defender. You never see him dive in. He jockeys and holds up the attacker while others get into position which is rare to see these days. I have seen him mark out of the game plenty of rated wingers. I wonder if he wouldn't make a better centre half though in light of his attacking limitations?

7. bragantino

bragantino Active Member

Just seen the film on bbc of the game and were we that bad that the commentator was siding with Barnsley, as they hadn't won in three. What about Watford not winning in five.