1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Thoughts on next season

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by DHCanary, May 31, 2011.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hi Tractor Boys, Norwich fan in peace...

I was just wondering how you think you'll fair in the championship next season? I know its a bit early on to say, as Paul Jewell hasn't really got going in the transfer market yet, but what do you reckon?

From the teams coming down, I think West Ham are going into freefall, and I don't imagine them to be challenging for promotion next year, and equally I don't feel Blackpool have the ability in their squad, especially after they no doubt lose a few of their key players over the summer to Premier League sides. I'm not sure about Birmingham's chances, what do you think? From the sides currently in the championship, I'm anticipating Forest, Reading and Cardiff being strong again, and maybe Burnley and Watford too.

Do you think you'll make the signings over the summer to mount a serious challenge at the top, or at least a run for the play-offs? It'd be nice to see a premier league old farm derby! (If we stay up).

Anyway, good luck next season, and I'd be interested to see how optimistic you all are.

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

No, we are actually hemorrhaging squad members at the moment. We will need to sign Jimmy Bullard and a top Championship midfielder and centre back (to replace Norris and McAuley) just to get level with the side we had last season. We don't have a right-back, a decent shot-stopper or a serious goal threat.

Realistically, we're not going to sign seven good players in the summer - Evans and Clegg are too cautious - so I don't think we need concern ourselves with who is going to be a threat next season. I'll be happy with progress to the squad. I would be looking at giving Paul Jewell all the time he needs - 2, 3, 4 years - to get things right and not to be rushing into short term fixes.

When we look at the squad on paper now there isn't one player that should consider themselves a first teamer. There are encouraging signs - Carson and Wickham in particular - but if you're asking me about a table topping side then apart from some of the kids I don't think any of the squad is really up to it - and,worryingly, a lot of our 'cover' are turning down their insulting short-term deals.

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

We have just seven regular first teamers last season still on the books: Fulop, Delaney, Leadbitter, Edwards, Wickham, Scotland, Kennedy

Then we have these players with first team experience: Peters, O'Connor, Martin, Priskin, Smith, Hyam, Drury, Carson, Lee-Barrett, Civelli.

In other words - we have just enough to put out an XI and fill the bench, if no-one gets injured.

4. sanpedro

sanpedro Member

It's worrying that the transfers season hasn't started for us yet, i agree with yorkie that we need several players thru' the doors just to get back where we were.
    As for the championship next season, i think West Ham may need a bit of a rebuild before they challange at the top. Blackpool could drop straight thru'. Birmingham could be ok. Reading, Leicester, Burnley i'd expect to see up there with Forest and maybe Southamton. Cardiff is going though some upheavals, so may need some rebuilding too, especially with Chopra joining us!!.
    Us...we need to see who joins in the next few weeks.
    So honestly DH. what about your season?

5. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I really don't know how we'll fare! Lambert is an astute manager, so I'm not expecting him to go crazy and sign loads of premiership quality players. James Vaughan from Everton looks like a good signing, but I imagine any others will come from the lower leagues. I am a little worried about the amount of premiership experience in our squad, and most of our team are the same players who won the League 1 title, so the premiership might be pushing it a bit.

We do have great team spirit though, and a really good work ethic, so I'm guessing we'll try and emulate Blackpool in a lot of ways (although hopefully without coming back down!). I fully expect us to be in and around the relegation battle all season, and finishing anywhere about 17th would be a major achievement. I think we'll just about stay up though, fingers crossed!

6. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

DHC

Would you say that this current squad of yours is better than the team that Worthington had a few years ago?

7. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

As individual players, they are perhaps of a lesser quality BUT as a team, they are far better.
    Nigel was a really decent guy, met him a few times in East Dereham but had a limited capacity which was found out when after getting promoted we started to buy foreigners with some, but not a lot of pedigree and had little or no pride in wearing the shirt. Just wanted to play in the PL.

Lambert is a different beast - far more astute and knows exaclty the kind of player he wants to bring in. James Vaughan is a perfect example. Everton fans will tell you he gives 110% - does that souind familier? It should, it's what Lambo has been getting from City players for the last 2 seasons.

8. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

As for Ipswich...........................

Where to start is the problem.

You have a decent manager now so that is a plus but your squad looks very weak as a unit. Unless you can get perhaps 3 or 4 really quality championship players (or the equivillent from the PL or league 1) and a few work horses in midfield and defence I think another indifferent season is the most likely prospect.

9. Rushmere

Rushmere Member

With our current squad and leftovers, we cannot really look much further than a bottom third finish. There is still plenty of time to go of course, but players still need a period to settle in and the team to form as an effective unit.

My hopes are for some good signings, peformances better than last season and a top half finish. My dreams, play-offs but think that might be a season or two away. Biggest fear, no-one comes in and we are left with an even weaker squad than we ended with last season and a season of disappointment..

As for Norwich, I have a sneaking suspicion that they might do a Blackpool - surprising people at the start but fizzling out toward the end. That said, momentum has got you two straight promotions so perhaps it will also help to keep you up.

10. sanpedro

sanpedro Member

Remember the team spirit that got us promoted then to a fifth place finish? Blackpool had a good team spirit last season but they also had Charlie Adam. I'm not sure it's enough anymore.
    Vaughan is a player i rate highly and will be a great signing for you.
    Agree with Thai about PJ and the current state of our squad. But it's still early days and a few good signings (hopefully!) will change the mood.

11. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Guys, im sensing some negativity creeping in here!!

Personally i think that ME will give PJ substancial funds this season and we will see at least 7 new faces, some of which will be fairly high profile. To be honest, the players that have left PR are in the main, only squad players and were probably not good enough to help us reach the promised land (GM and DN are probably the only 2 that would have started regularly)

Lets wait to see what happens in the coming months before worrying about next season!!

I think PJ will bring in quality and i think we will end up top 6 but what do i know?

12. Rushmere

Rushmere Member

If you're right Spanish, and as has been said already, then we all have a great season to look forward to. No negativity from my side, living in hope, and a bit of pre-season speculation. As you say, who knows what will happen?

13. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

For what its worth here i my thoughts on some of the linked players:-

Chopra - If we can get him for £1 - 1.5m then great but wouldn't pay more, will score goals but seems to have gone off the boil a little, that may be down to injury probs but could also have gone a little stale at Cardiff and had his nose put out of joint with the loan signing of Bellamy.

Sharp - I don't think this deal is dead, money talks and i would up the offer but pay no more than £2.75m. For me he would be a good signing.

Graham - NO CHANCE!!

Tyson - Could be a good signing, is very fast (which we lack) and would come on a free (i think). Was played out of position much of the time by Forest and i think if we can get him for nothing then its a no brainer.

Ollie Mann - At £20k he is a gamble worth taking and we should snap him up straight away.

Treacy - Sounds like a very good player and wants out, once again has pace and an eye for goal, so i would deffo sign him.

St Ledger - For me this is a must and he would add some necessary steel.

Bullard - Sadly it ain't gonna happen and i think a lower prem team will sign him.

Coppinger - Should up the offer to maybe £800k and i think Donny would let him go, sounds like a creative player which is what we need in the absence of Bullard.

Nosworthy - No thanks, by all accounts has been gash!!

Dyer - For me a liability, if you can get him on a pay as you play deal then fair enough but if not then i would say steer well clear!!

Westwood - Would have been a great signing but looks destined for the prem. Happy enough with Fulop anyway.

Goodwillie - Well worth a go, for me would be a good signing but not sure whether we could get him. Sounds like his team mate (Conway i think but may be wrong) would also be a good aquasition.

Loads more players linked but can't remember them all, only listed bigger names that i know a little about.

Thoughts guys?

14. Yellow Leadbitter

Lots of players linked, I notice no mention of any full-backs though!

Are we expecting Edwards to be number one right back next season?

Left back, can Kennedy give us a full season there? Lee Naylor may be an option from Cardiff, can't think of any others of the top of my head!

I see Bradley Johnson is on a free from Leeds, looks a very decent player, probably not up for coming our way though!

15. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I'd have to echo what Thai has said, as a unit we're much better, but we probably have less individual talents. The only player who carries over between the two premier league spells is Adam Drury, and he's struggling to get a game now, I'm not sure why because I don't think Tierney is any better than him, but I'll trust PL decision on that one!
    By position then:

'Keepers: I think Rob Green was better than Ruddy is, I can't really comment on sub keepers, I can't recall seeing Darren Ward or Paul Gallagher in the premiership, and whilst they've got good reputations from our academy, Rudd and Steer are untested. I'd like us to bring in someone like Forster if possible.

Defence: I'd say Ward and Whitbread look a lot stronger together than I can remember Shackell and Fleming ever being, but neither have any decent premier league experience to call upon. Russel Martin looks a class act at RB, I'd rate him above Helveg to be honest, but again, might get caught out. I'd argue Drury in 04 was a better LB than Tierney is now.

Midfield: Huckerby was a class act, and the only comparison is with Hoolahan. I'd say Hoolahan does more for the team, but as a talisman, I believe Hucks was better, and always seemed more likely to do something special. Crofts, Fox and Surman look good together and work well as a unit, although maybe on his day Damien Francis was a better player, as a workman, Crofts is probably better than Gary Holt in my opinion, he's got more of a touch of class about him. Maybe David Bentley was better than Fox and Surman. I do think we could probably do with something extra in midfield, someone young with a point to prove, with Prem experience ideally.

Up front, Dean Ashton was probably more naturally gifted than Holt, and I'd still rather have Leon Mckenzie than Simeon Jackson, although Vaughan looks like an excellent signing. Maybe someone else is needed here too, we'll have to see how Holt can mix it with the big boys.

Theres other places I think need strengthening too, but I've highlighted the ones I think we really need.