1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Thoughts After Yesterday

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by rocky57, May 23, 2011.

1. rocky57

rocky57 Member

I note from the other thread that some were at the game, some weren't.

I was there, and by and large we played well. OK, Briggs got done by Walcott at the end but throughout the game he looked far more secure than Salcido ever did, even though he's a centre back playing at full back. Talking of which, Hughes had his best game in that position, looked at home attacking down the right when he could. The defence looked OK, but the tactic had reverted to the long ball, especially from Schwarzer, and maybe due to this there developed a gap between the back four and the midfield.

I was more disappointed for Zolly than disappointed in him. Sure, it had to be a red under the current interpretation, but it was just a rush of blood - he'd been cheered on to the pitch and wanted to give the fans, who have always supported him, a last flourish.

Dempsey was the one who irritated me. He played like Kamara, trying to beat everyone when he had the ball and strolling around when he didn't. He looked like another who wants out, but unlike Gera, didn't care.

Zamora as usual was a class above, and AJ never stopped trying, although I'm convinced £4m for him should be accepted.

Please poke your conspiracy theories, I have to endure enough of those from the bloke who sits next to me: he's convinced referees have been told to be against us because of Al Fayed!

2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I agree that Dempsey doesn't look like he cares at the moment. I wonder if it's just because we're safe and his mind is already on holiday, or if it's because he's no longer top dog once Zamora comes back? I hope it's the former, but Deuce has dropped off alarmingly in the last month or so.

Gera had a rush of blood. Ultimately this game was meaningless (we couldn't have got to 7th and we were completely safe from relegation), so I'm not too bothered. It was sad though, for Gera's last game at CC (in white, anyhow) to end in that way.

3. FFC4L

FFC4L Member

Dempsey does that though. He has those games where it isn't going well and he tries to bring it to life by running at a few players, albeit very very slowly looking for a foul and a freekick from 20 yards. That is what Dempsey does. He has been like that forever. Sometimes it works, like against Spurs in the FA cup, sometimes it doesn't like yesterday. I hope this is true as losing Dempsey would be an enormous loss to our team. I know Mark Hughes won't give in easily. Was Demps' pass to Zamora that created goal one after intercepting Arsenal.

What is it with putting Briggs against tough opposition? Give the guy a break! He has played against Chelsea and Arsenal home and away. He was so nervous at the start, that was clear to see. But once he calmed down he was better. He is only 20 and was promising going forward, and even had a penalty shout. Much more potential than Salcido. I hope he gets a couple of games against lesser opposition to get his confidence up. We could ruin him if we play him like we are now.

I'm not going to get started on how silly and reckless what Gera did was. More unprofessional than malicious I think. He should have the brain within himself to control that sort of thing. Sure the fans were egging him on but he still had to make a decision to do it.

I believe we have Europa, but by the skin of our teeth. We have 7 unusual points (Basically against our average) to lose apart from cards to Blackpool. I believe we didn't lose all 7.

4. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Does the Red card now mean Gera will get a 3 match ban for his new club unless he moves abroad?
    I personally don't think the club want the Fairplay route in to the Europa, and wouldn't be surprise me if we do get it that there is an early exit before the group stages.

Both Gera and Pantsil have been written into the History books as Fulham Legends, with some great performances, but it would seem both will be let go, so thanks for the memories, guys.

In defense of Dempsey he held our season together with some crucial goals when our main strikers were injured, he is a player who does seem to play in a comfort zone, but he is a player that can turn a game on a pass or a goal. It would be sad to lose him in the transfer window.

5. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

This is the frustrating side of Dempsey. However nobody is perfect and he should get, and deserves, our player of the season.

6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Super Brian, yes, I'm pretty sure that's how it works. The suspension will follow Gera to his new club. Similarly, Daniel Sturridge will miss the beginning of next season, whether he's still playing for Bolton, back at Chelsea or somewhere else. I'd be perfectly happy if he was missing those games for us.

7. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Too right Commodore. He's a proper player, and we're just down the road from Chelsea if he's still kept his council flat tenancy!

8. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Dempsey's probably just tired - I wouldn't read anything more into his performance than that. It was the last game of the season, essentially meaningless for the team. It's been a very long campaign and his mind was probably wandering a little bit, thinking about going back to Texas and eating some fried armadillo - yum!

But seriously, besides Aaron Hughes and Hangeland, I think Dempsey's the only player who hasn't (fortunately for us) had any kind of a break this season. Remember his mystery "hamstring" injury a couple of weeks ago? My guess is that MH recogized he was exhausted and deliberately kept him out of the squad. If you think about it, Dempsey hasn't had a real break in two years. He went straight from the 09/10 season to the WC, then straight into the 10/11 season without more than a week or two off.

9. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Fair enough, hope you're right dr.