1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Things We Think We Think #261

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Aug 14, 2017.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

1. Satisfying stuff on Saturday from City. Circumstances assisted in the 4-1 win – Burton’s limitations, red card and submissive willingness to back off in the second half – but there was some truly terrific football played and we looked utterly comfortable.

2. Abel Hernández missed the easiest chance of the game in the first half – we don’t count any of the flurry of opportunities somehow blocked by Steven Bywater after the break – but nonetheless took his three goals with aplomb. Given the unrelenting departures of the summer, it’s a slight surprise that the Uruguayan is still with us, but with displays like that, we can be most grateful for it.

3. Other notable displays – Jarrod Bowen looks like he belongs at this level and his confidence is only going to grow, while Max Clark looked less of a square peg as an attacking left back, and actually crossed the ball on the overlap accurately and fiendishly on a good few occasions. Michael Hector’s assured and slightly cocky display at the back also hints at a performer of real class who could stroll through this division with a fat cigar on.

4. There was a moment in the first half when Ola Aina got a bit too complacent and lost the ball. City got away with it, just, but the terrific dressing down he took from Michael Dawson evidently had an effect because in the second half he defended stoutly and, as interest in attacking from our opponents dwindled more, he showed what a supreme athlete he is with shinpad-exposed runs with and without the ball that further burnt out the overworked Burton left side. This boy can play – and clearly he is capable of learning too.

5. Fraizer Campbell’s not fully at it yet, is he? Just like last week at Aston Villa, he didn’t look sharp enough, but only perseverance and hard minutes on the pitch will assuage that. We don’t recall him having a chance to score on Saturday but he put in an unselfish shift while his strike partner took the glory, and his time will come.

6. Maybe it’ll be when Wolves to come to town on Tuesday night. Leonid Slutsky removed Hernàndez, Kamil Grosicki (nice headed goal) and Sam Clucas against Burton, suggesting he wanted them as fresh as possible for hardier tests coming this week. A trip to QPR, rarely something that fills City fans with lipsmacking anticipation, then awaits at the weekend.

7. Slutsky told the press after the win over Burton that his highlight of the game was being asked to wave by the City fans. We could easily be in love with this guy already.

8. Doncaster away in the League Cup. Nearby, eminently winnable, and the prospect of big numbers travelling on a (hopefully) sultry mid-summer’s evening. And whatever number of Hull City supporters is announced that night, at least we know it’ll be accurate, eh?

*SOAPBOX TIME*

9a. If you find the actions of the Allams repulsive, and after careful consideration cannot in good conscience put money in coffers administered by them, so do not attend home games, then good on you. Understandable.

9b. If you find the actions of the Allams repulsive, but after careful consideration have decided that you’re still going to attend games to cheer on the team (because you were a City fan long before they came along and you’ll be a City fan long after they’ve sold up) and you’ll be damned if those two are driving you away, then good on you. Understandable.

10. If however, you’ve decided that your decision is the only decision that can be made and elect to berate other City fans on social media or in person, then to quote a colloquialism, ‘give your head a wobble’. The Allams and their dwindling cult of apologists are the enemy, not people who broadly agree that a pair of perfidious egotists must go quickly for the good of Hull City AFC. Divisiveness is clearly their goal, so don’t fall for it.

http://www.ambernectar.org/blog/2017/08/things-we-think-we-think-261/

2. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

No. 2, haven't seen that miss but how could it have been easier than Grosicki's?

GLP and dennisboothstash like this.
  3. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Bold bit, spot on. Rest, meh. So other fans who don't agree with them are the "enemy"?

Don't fall for the "Allams goal of divisiveness" but anyone who doesn't think like we do, is the enemy?

Brilliant.

4. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Well said on 9a 9b and 10 <applause>

5. TigerinSydney

TigerinSydney Well-Known Member

Prior to The Allams ownership - when was the last time city fans were a divided bunch with one group of fans booing or berating the other?

When you've answered that question, you'll realise no.10 is completely on the money.

Bergerac28 and Kempton like this.
  6. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I wondered that. It wasn't in the highlights I've seen and hasn't been mentioned on here that I've seen. I'm curious to see a miss worse than Grosicki's to be honest.

7. Happy Tiger

Anyone booing or berating anyone else is entirely responsible for their own actions.

Or you're suggesting it's ok to say "it's not my fault, the Allams made me do it"?

<laugh>

onceatiger likes this.
  8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Grosicki's miss was the worst one.

9. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

It would have been nice to see a point about how after a season of awful refereeing decisions we finally had a game where the dodgy decisions went in our favour, we've been waiting long enough!

10. TigerinSydney

What on earth are you on about?

When was the last time fans turned on each other before the Allams were here.

It's a simple question - do you have a simple answer?

11. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

To be fair since our move to the KCOM there's always been a bit of a divide in our fan base, we doubled our support overnight with many old fans resenting the new fans, especially when some wanted to sit down and be quiet whilst the others wanted to stand and make noise. You used to and still do see bickering and arguing especially at away games.

Fez and bum_chinned_crab like this.
  12. Kempton

Yeah it's a strange comment that. I've only seen the highlights but I'm 100% certain there can't have been worse miss than Grosiki's.

13. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Hendricksons miss in the seconds half was worse than Grosicki's.

14. Kempton

I think you'll agree that you and I get along just fine on here, Happy. We're cyber buddies, right?

It has crossed my mind though, that should we go for a pint and the inevitable debate began. **** me it would be a very long night <laugh>

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    DaveSpencer and Happy Tiger like this.
  15. Kempton

Was that the 30 yarder? :cheesy:

16. Happy Tiger

Actually...

To keep blindly blaming the Allams for everything is daft. As Fez points out with regularity, this type of whining just detracts from the real issues at the club.

Luckily for you, I'm making allowances for you being way out of touch down there, and you base your opinions on what you read on the internet.

mclagan likes this.
  17. Kempton

I always come back to the same agonising thought, when assessing the Allams tenure.

Oh my ****ing God, what could have been :(

18. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

The fans were divided when the Action Group were formed in the late 70's just before we were relegated for the first time to Div 4 and again during the Tigers 2000 campaign.
    The Action Group in particular came in for a lot of flak not only from the club and local media but from our own supporters.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  19. TigerinSydney

Please enlighten me as you obviously have your finger on the pulse.

What are the real issues at the club?

PLT likes this.
  20. RichardG

RichardG Well-Known Member

When masses of Hull City fans take against the owners there is generally an element of resistance to this. I can't speak for what happened in the 70s/80s as I was too young to know what was going on, but in the 90s those opposing the Fish/Needler regime - who would become Tigers 2000 - would often get stick on the BP terraces, more often than not from the older supporters (several of my relatives among them). There was - believe it or not - some pockets of support for the Lloyd regime for some time too (based around Lloyd being a successful businessman, City fans being unrealistic in what they wanted, Lloyd having a 'plan' that we had to be patient over, etc...). I don't recall there being much when we opposed Buchanan/Hinchliffe, but we were so close to the abyss at that point that it's perhaps unsurprising that we were so united.

Those doing the protesting were - if not always by their actions, then their beliefs - largely in the right. A better Hull City was possible, tangible even. We got there eventually. And there's got to be a better situation than what we have currently. I'm not talking about someone coming in and spunking hundreds of millions to get us into the Champions League. Simply someone who treats fans with respect, who makes you feel proud of the club. That period from 2001 to 2009 or so saw everyone connected with Hull City pretty much united. Yes, some didn't like Peter Taylor's tactics, or didn't want to move from BP, but they were so minimal that they weren't worth bothering with, quite frankly. When we were united, on and off the pitch, it was incredible. Uniting the fans right now could and should be so easy. Yet we're not united and there's only one reason for that. The fan base is almost always only ever fractious when we have poor owners.

I read the TWTWT as essentially an attempt to unite those who want to oppose the Allams but can't agree on the best way to do it. Which seems fair enough in my book. Given that the vast, vast majority of City fans now wish to see an end to the Allam regime, it seems reasonable to write something in an attempt to unite this band.