1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Summer/Pre-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, May 1, 2017.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Gasheadseamge79 likes this.
  2. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

I wonder what's up with Bale then ? Injured again ? or is this thing all a little below him these days !

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Leeds came in for DC last summer before they got Gary Monk.

Now Gary Monk have resigned from Leeds.

I wonder if Leeds come calling for DC again this summer???

I hope not but I think this time, DC could be more interested in that job. Leeds have new owners now, so wont be under the previous owner who should never been at Leeds in the first place. I dont think hardly any managers would have wanted to go to Leeds with the former owner in place. Also Leeds had a very good season and just missed out on the play offs. DC may be thinking, under a new owner and some money to spend, he could take Leeds back to the Prem which would be a great challenge for him.

Im more worried about him leaving for Leeds this time than last summer, and a bid hasnt even come in for him yet this time!

4. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

The ex Middlesborough manager is favourite for that job

5. old timer

If Ollie Watkins is a target Gastro then with Exeter falling at the last hurdle maybe there is a chance. I hope DC signs some one soon and then we can at least have the we approve / we don't approve comments because at the moment there is more life in a morgue than on this Forum

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

You will see most action in the transfer window at the start of July onwards is my bet.

Now is the quiet season as there is nothing to actually talk about. Same every season at this time im afraid. We could talk about what our favourite colour is or best flavour crisps etc but I think we would be clutching at straws <ok>. I am personally not into making rumours up just to get people talking. Rumours like "my best mates dog seen Ollie Watkins at the Mem" for example, which you will bound to see at other gas forums, if you catch my drift. There is no World cup or Euros to discuss. Its very boring right now <ok>

old timer likes this.
  7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Its a shame Exeter didnt go up. Nice derby day for us and less travelling for the fans and players. But then again, Blackpool was always a good weekender. Whats the bets it will be a Tuesday night game now!

old timer likes this.
  8. old timer

CJS its good to see you reply I thought everyone had gone on holiday except me

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Im here <laugh>

My kids are growing up (age 6 and 8) and where the weather has been good, I have been doing many things with them and also been re-organising our back garden. Basically digging everything up, laying down fake grass, lots of paving slabs, building a big shed and lots of flower beds for the wife. I have really taken advantage of the good weather we have had. Nearly finished everything so the kids got a proper garden for the summer, unless we have had our summer already of course <ok>

old timer likes this.
  10. old timer

I've got a couple of allotments which have needed some love and ATTENTION so most mornings have been spent there. still the food will be nice in season. Don't do flowers they taste awful with roast meat

11. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hopefully their will be something to report on soon very uneventful at the moment

old timer likes this.
  12. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

I went to Blackpool once to watch the Gas way before the stadium upgrade a total dump its not the sort of place I would go back to nowhere near as appealing as Devon.

13. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

That end up behind the goal, " The Spion Cop" was very sulubrius with it's higglety pigglety concrete terracing and rusting cropped steel girders, I used to quite like standing up there, gone but not forgotten eh ?

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I got an allotment too. Seems like everytime I go there to do more stuff, I end up having to repair things from the previous visit <laugh> The flower beds is just to add colour to the garden. The allotment has some flowers but 90% is space for food. But we havent planted hardly a thing. We been trying to get everything ready. When we plan to go to the allotment to get stuff done, its either repairing stuff or we dont go for some reason. I think I will be over to the allotment a lot in the summer to get it ready for next year.

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Well, DC said 10-12 signings. So it will get busy soon. Also we still got updates on the Mem's pitch and other work going on. The building of the new training ground and updates on UWE. Also add to that, we still got to hear on Harrison and the youngster that has come through. New kits too.

16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I have been twice to the old one. Both were weekend holidays. Always near the end of the season and fancy dress too.

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Travelling distance difference.... (stadium to stadium according to google maps)

Out from League 1:
    Bolton 178 miles
    Sheff Utd 177 miles
    Chesterfield 160 miles
    Port Vale 127 miles
    Millwall 121 miles
    Coventry 104 miles
    Swindon 40 miles
    Total: 907 miles (1814 miles round trip)

In to League 1:
    Blackpool 204 miles
    Blackburn 189 miles
    Doncaster 179 miles
    Wigan 174 miles
    Rotherham 173 miles
    Plymouth 124 miles
    Portsmouth 122 miles
    Total: 1165 miles (2330 miles round trip)

So we will have to travel a further 516 miles this coming season. Which is nearly the same distance as travelling from the Mem to Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC (522 miles).

I think there will be a few extra overnight stays by the team!

18. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Maybe an argument there then for going back to 3rd division 'North' and 'South' although for my money that never really was ideal as it meant that in essence it was not representative of a truely national league and hence the best players were not lining up against the best players.
    God, we got to get out of this division, there is no recognition until you get into the Championship, come on Waki, get yer hand in yer pocket and get us two quick and nimble wide men who can dispose of the full backs and a Steve Bull / Andy Much type partnership up front and we will be out of sight by January.

19. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Just a thought maybe the reason why the Northern teams fair better in the leagues is because they travel less miles
    I had a thought maybe the reason why the Northern teams fair better in the leagues is because they travel less miles

20. old timer

Neil Etheridge signed for Cardiff god keeper would have been a good signing for us and he was a free transfer as he was out of contract